Ultra Runners

UROY (Read 383 times)

Kalsarikännit

Ultra Runner of the Year was announced.  http://www.ultrarunning.com/ultra/features/news/roes-garneau-named-ultrar.shtml

I agree with the top picks.  I am also very, very happy to see my friend Zach (the guy who inflicted me on you guys by introducing me to RA) getting third.  I didn't think he would get those votes, just because the voting usually goes to mountain 100 runners.  He had some great races this year. 

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Zach had a great year - worthy of the ROY votes. Perhaps in a year when the WS course record is not broken, Zach gets ROY?

With the varied venues and terrain, it can be difficult to compare performances. Hard to imagine Jurek's 165 not making the top 10.

Not one vote for DB?

Kalsarikännit

It takes many races to get UROY, so no DB . 

They do have "Performance of the Year" voting.  I have seen people express surprise on a couple of blogs that Jurek's 24 wasn't ranked higher.

I also think Neal Gorman could have been ranked higher.  His Slam was unreal.

Kalsarikännit

Zach had a great year - worthy of the ROY votes. Perhaps in a year when the WS course record is not broken, Zach gets ROY?

Never.  He doesn't race in the mountains with the big boys.  He went out to Miwok, but got off course in a big way.  They won't give a flatlander that award.

MTA:  He won and broke the course record at Arrowhead.  You will never catch me doing that race.  Badwater sounds easier.

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Somewhat off topic but stumbled upon this - 3 of the top male UROY vote-getters are represented. 

http://vimeo.com/18902157

• Black Canyon 100k
            • RRR
            • Zane Grey 100k
            • High Lonesome 100
            • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
            • The Bear 100
            • Javelina Jundred (?)

I agree with the top picks.  I am also very, very happy to see my friend Zach

Zach Galifianakis runs?

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

Somewhat off topic but stumbled upon this - 3 of the top male UROY vote-getters are represented. 

http://vimeo.com/18902157

I had to laugh when Jorge asked Tony about not wearing a shirt at Leadville...because it's cold at night at Leadville.

Tony: "I don't run at night in Leadville."    hahahaha

Tim Hardy

Great topic;

Personally I think Zach should have been hands down #2; he had a much bigger year then Anton. I wanted Zach to win it based on the singularly unique accomplishements he put together, but Mr. Roes was just off the planet. 7 wins in 7 100s; 4 wins in 4 50s.  Can't deny that; but Zach's year was prodigious; he just did it the same year Mr. Roes did. Less than 15 people have completed both Arrowhead and Badwater- copmpleted. Until this year less than 10 had completed both in the same year. Zach flat out won both; broke Arrowhead's record and hios time at Badwater was about three years removed from the record; broke the Umstead 100 record; lots of great runners there; won three 50s, broke to CRs in that. Just a great year, worth a real 2nd. Anton is a great runner and that epioc Western States really pulled him along to #2.

Roes is just something else...

Does ach have a blog, by the way?

Tim Hardy

Arlington, VA

Kalsarikännit

Does Zach have a blog, by the way?

No.  He spends his free time running.  I'm beginning to think more ultrarunners should spend more time running and less time blogging.

xor

(tangent)

This applies to elite marathoners as well.

Some of these folks are great writers.  Some of these folks are not great writers, but good enough, and have interesting information to convey - which makes them readable.  And some are just weird.