Ultra Runners

Ice Age 50 miler (Read 69 times)

DoppleBock

Last Montrail cup race before Western States - Who do you like?  I did just a quick glance and do not know most the runners names.

I think the 2 super studs on the mens side are Zach Bitter and David Riddle, with Chad Ricklefs, Glen Redpath, Local runner Kevin Grabowski and RA'er Flatfooter as people to watch.

Women - I would never bet against Cassie Scallon - Her home course before she transplanted to CO.

Who else?

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

Other sentimental locals - Top 10 possible, but not much higer ... Robert Wehner and Joel Lammers.

http://www.runrace.net/findarace.php?id=13131WI&tab=a3&whosreg=4391

Jill Perry could run for top 5 on women's side.

I don't think I'll be in the same race as the other 5 you mentioned DB, but I'm hoping to pull off a top 10 finish (and <7).    Kevin ran at the Crusty 50K and was 20 minutes ahead of me, if my fitness translates to a <7, then he is probably at least low 6:30s.  When I was at the IAT training run, there were a few other locals that have ran fairly fast marathon times (<2:50).  If I had to guess, I'll need at least a <7:00 to crack the top ten and that may not even cut it.

For Females also Denise Bourassa (last years winner) and Melanie Peters (#2 last year).

DoppleBock

If you are patient enough, I think you will have a great race.  Zach, David and Chad will go out like a cannon.  Its funny, but I was running with the guy who sets the course and he said that the 1st 9 mile Nordic loop is deceptively hilly with @ 1,700 feet of elevation change.

I don't think I'll be in the same race as the other 5 you mentioned DB, but I'm hoping to pull off a top 10 finish (and <7).    Kevin ran at the Crusty 50K and was 20 minutes ahead of me, if my fitness translates to a <7, then he is probably at least low 6:30s.  When I was at the IAT training run, there were a few other locals that have ran fairly fast marathon times (<2:50).  If I had to guess, I'll need at least a <7:00 to crack the top ten and that may not even cut it.

For Females also Denise Bourassa (last years winner) and Melanie Peters (#2 last year).

DoppleBock

If Cassie is uninjured she is a beast and will run low to mid 7 ... 7:35 at slowest

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I agree with you on Cassie Scallon.  I saw her run at Glacial Trail in 2011, I think?  Damn.

I'll be volunteering at the Hwy 12 aid station.  If anyone wants to yell out "MANDY" when you come through, I'll be sure to say hi.  And fill your bottle Smile

Running is dumb.

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

If you are patient enough, I think you will have a great race.  Zach, David and Chad will go out like a cannon.  Its funny, but I was running with the guy who sets the course and he said that the 1st 9 mile Nordic loop is deceptively hilly with @ 1,700 feet of elevation change.

That loop was just enough hill to work the legs but deceptive in that the fatigue doesn't show up immediately.  Sneaky.

• Black Canyon 100k
                • RRR
                • Zane Grey 100k
                • High Lonesome 100
                • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                • The Bear 100
                • Javelina Jundred (?)

Wow, I had no idea about the elevation on that loop.  I guess I won't feel bad if I back off a little this year on the loop.  Does Tom Bunk still measure the course?

I agree with you on Cassie Scallon.  I saw her run at Glacial Trail in 2011, I think?  Damn.

I'll be volunteering at the Hwy 12 aid station.  If anyone wants to yell out "MANDY" when you come through, I'll be sure to say hi.  And fill your bottle Smile

I will try - but I am pretty delirious when I'm running and will be lucky to remember my own name.  If you see some schmuck who looks like they have no clue why they are running, it is probably me.  Otherwise, thank you in advance for volunteering, you are a big part of what makes this race so fun!

Trail Dog

I will be volunteering with Mandy at Hwy 12!

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Wow, I had no idea about the elevation on that loop.  I guess I won't feel bad if I back off a little this year on the loop.  Does Tom Bunk still measure the course?

The Nordic loop IS deceptive.  I hate that damn loop with every fiber of my being.

I believe Tom Bunk is still marking and measuring the course.  I see him there every year.

Running is dumb.

DoppleBock

Not sure how I missed him the 1st time - But Eric Senseman will be in mix for top 3.

Also on the women's side - Christine Crawford was still coming off mutliple injury issues as of end of March - But she has ran many great Ice Age 50s.  A local woman - Alisha Damrow (No idea if she is in shape) definately has the mentallity to go for it and has finished 4th and 5th her last 2 Ice Age 50s.

Last Montrail cup race before Western States - Who do you like?  I did just a quick glance and do not know most the runners names.

I think the 2 super studs on the mens side are Zach Bitter and David Riddle, with Chad Ricklefs, Glen Redpath, Local runner Kevin Grabowski and RA'er Flatfooter as people to watch.

Women - I would never bet against Cassie Scallon - Her home course before she transplanted to CO.

Who else?

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Who else?

Just saw this on twitter:

Jeff Browning @gobroncobilly

Raining in Elkhorn, WI...hope this blows out by #iceage50 come Saturday #patagoniarunning

• Black Canyon 100k
                            • RRR
                            • Zane Grey 100k
                            • High Lonesome 100
                            • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                            • The Bear 100
                            • Javelina Jundred (?)

Damn you HD!  Smile  My adrenaline was already starting to flow but now I feel like it is race morning.  Not that I have any chance of keeping up with these guys but I am excited to see the competition unfold.

I noticed the comment about cherrypicking.  Some of these guys think they can come down from the mountains and kick all the locals butts.  I'd love to see Zach keep his title again this year but he may suffer due to lack of hill training.

DoppleBock

Actually if you want the mountain guys to struggle - The moister the better ... High Humidity is the great equalizer.

I remember one of the mountain guys coming a few years ago making statements about looking forward to running in the oxygen rich low lands of WI.  Humid morning and the trails in WI have a different rythm that often trick mountain people to running a poorly paced race.  This combination put Tim Long running a 7:29:27 while the winner ran 6:27:18

Of course Brownie is a better runner than Mr Long.

Damn you HD!  Smile  My adrenaline was already starting to flow but now I feel like it is race morning.  Not that I have any chance of keeping up with these guys but I am excited to see the competition unfold.

I noticed the comment about cherrypicking.  Some of these guys think they can come down from the mountains and kick all the locals butts.  I'd love to see Zach keep his title again this year but he may suffer due to lack of hill training.