Ultra Runners

Question for the Eqqsperts (Read 148 times)

sherpagirl

Sherpagirl

I have a question for all of the Ultra geeks out there. I think I know the answer but I think I want confirmation. I am training for Bighorn in June. I feel like my training has been going pretty well. I have been committing to hard, hilly long runs and recovering well after. I have 8 weeks until my race and I have a 25 mile 'training' race in two weeks. I have a 24 mile long run scheduled this weekend and a rest week next week. Since I am treating the race as a training run it falls into my three week long schedule. My issue is one of my knees is feeling a little sore. Not too bad it’s not painful unless I hyperextend it then its maybe a 3. It feels like it might be a little inflamed across the tibia plateau. My knees don't usually bother me so I want to be careful. I had ACL surgery on this knee 4 years ago. It was ACL replacement no meniscus damage. Should I swap my rest weeks out and rest this weekend and do my 24 next week? Thanks SG
    If you're bored ask why you're boring
    She-Rah

Hi, Sherpagirl- I am no eggspert but having had ACL surgery in 2003 myself I would say if you are questioning it - you might choose to rest. I'm also registered for the Bighorn (50K). If it makes you feel any better, my longest run recently so far has only been 17.5 miles. I had my own (back and virus) issues recently but my -run with ample rest- routine has allowed to me build back up rather quickly. Best of luck!
      sherpagirl

Sherpagirl

I ended up doing the long run after all and had a great run. I am actually glad I did becuase it allows me a better taper into my first 'training race'. My knee felt fine so who knows what was going on. Good luck at Bighorn ... it looks to be a tough one.
        She-Rah

Good for you! Glad to hear your run went well and the knee is bomber. What distance will you be doing at Bighorn?
            Although I've had no experience with ACL surgery or bad knee problems, I was thinking before of replying with a recommendation to stay off it until you're sure it's fine. Now, though, I'm glad I kept my trap shut--good job on the run, and have fun at Bighorn!

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

sherpagirl

Sherpagirl

I am doing the 50 Mile, it will be my second but my first mountain 50. I have been running a lot of hills Dead