Ultra Runners

Question for the Eqqsperts (Read 148 times)

sherpagirl

Sherpagirl

I have a question for all of the Ultra geeks out there. I think I know the answer but I think I want confirmation. I am training for Bighorn in June. I feel like my training has been going pretty well. I have been committing to hard, hilly long runs and recovering well after. I have 8 weeks until my race and I have a 25 mile 'training' race in two weeks. I have a 24 mile long run scheduled this weekend and a rest week next week. Since I am treating the race as a training run it falls into my three week long schedule. My issue is one of my knees is feeling a little sore. Not too bad it’s not painful unless I hyperextend it then its maybe a 3. It feels like it might be a little inflamed across the tibia plateau. My knees don't usually bother me so I want to be careful. I had ACL surgery on this knee 4 years ago. It was ACL replacement no meniscus damage. Should I swap my rest weeks out and rest this weekend and do my 24 next week? Thanks SG
    If you're bored ask why you're boring
    She-Rah

Hi, Sherpagirl- I am no eggspert but having had ACL surgery in 2003 myself I would say if you are questioning it - you might choose to rest. I'm also registered for the Bighorn (50K). If it makes you feel any better, my longest run recently so far has only been 17.5 miles. I had my own (back and virus) issues recently but my -run with ample rest- routine has allowed to me build back up rather quickly. Best of luck!
      sherpagirl

Sherpagirl

I ended up doing the long run after all and had a great run. I am actually glad I did becuase it allows me a better taper into my first 'training race'. My knee felt fine so who knows what was going on. Good luck at Bighorn ... it looks to be a tough one.
        She-Rah

Good for you! Glad to hear your run went well and the knee is bomber. What distance will you be doing at Bighorn?
          Carl A

Although I've had no experience with ACL surgery or bad knee problems, I was thinking before of replying with a recommendation to stay off it until you're sure it's fine. Now, though, I'm glad I kept my trap shut--good job on the run, and have fun at Bighorn!

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

sherpagirl

Sherpagirl

I am doing the 50 Mile, it will be my second but my first mountain 50. I have been running a lot of hills Dead