Ultra Runners

Leona Divide 50 vs. Capitol Peaks 50 (Read 215 times)

Any of you ever run either one or both of these?  I thought about running CP until a friend of mine who has run, as well as 3 100-milers, told me it was a "slow" 50 miler for her, and that it was a big step up from AR50, my first 50 miler this past April.  This pretty much tells me my chances of finishing are fairly low.

On the other hand, I've read a couple of reports re Leona Divide, and it sounds like a friendlier course.  Not such a big jump for a 2nd 50-miler.

Any comments from those in the know would be greatly appreciated.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

xor

Are you talking about Capitol Peak (singular) in Olympia WA in April?  It is a tiny thing and way more of an ass kicker than AR50. Total gain is 6000 ft, which is not a gigantic amount for a 50... but by comparison, AR50's gain is 3400.  (and Dick Collins, which I see as a hopeful in your sig, is closer to 8000 ft).  And, unlike AR50, you don't have all that "next to the road" running.  More challenging footing.

HOWEVER... and this is important... Capitol Peak is probably changing their course for 2011.  Perhaps dramatically.  Dunno what it'll look like... but given that area, I would expect a new course to be roughly similar terrain-wise to the current course.

I only know Leona by reputation.

The initial flatness of AR50 seemed harder on me that the undulation of trail running, which is why I'm in no hurry to go back to that one.

Trying to figure out which two 50s to try next year is a pain, especially given that due to a new job, it's hard for me to take more than 1 day off work.  Not a whole heck of a lot going on here in the far reaches of Northern CA.  Leona Divide is looking much more promising than Capitol Peak (no "s" Wink ), and I could probably get a flight for around $200 to LAX as opposed to driving 12 1/2 hrs. one way.

Dick Collins' is a ton of climbing, as well, but I figure I gotta jump in at some point!  Heck, if I don't at least try, I'll never know if I can do it, right?

Thanks for the input.  Greatly appreciated.

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance