Ultra Runners

Compression shorts - Spandex (Read 536 times)

DoppleBock

In race lasting more than 12 hours - I have had re-occuring issues with shaffing

I always wear cheaper - Spandex (Call them compression - but they are not) to stop my fat thighs from rubbing together - But in longer races they keep that area clear - But seem to be negative and cause severe irritation to the ball sack (Yes I just used that term - Sorry to offend - just easier) 

I currently use these spandex shorts under my running shorts (innotech) for all runs.

In the 24 last Sat-Sun - I used copious amounts of vasoline, and no help.

I am looking for different ideas in compression shorts for a solution - But I am silling to hear any solutions

So - please post the product you are suggestion - a link to where I can buy it and the longest race you have run in them along with any other negative issues you may have had.

I appreciate any and all of your ideas -  

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Try Nike Pro Combat compression shorts and use 2toms Sports Shield + Aquaphor instead of vaseline.  Desitin is also much better than vaseline.  I usually apply the Sports Shield  before the start and then apply Aquaphor or Desitin to hot spots as needed.  Sports Shield comes as a roll-on which is very handy for the cracks and other delicate places.  The best compression shorts I ever had were Pearl Izumi compression shorts (Laser???) --  a few models before their current Infinity Compression (haven't tried) but I lost them while changing shortly after I finished a 100 miler.  The Nike shorts are really underwear, whereas the old Pearls were like bike shorts without the padding.  I also have never had a problem with my CW-X tights but haven't had the occasion to wear them for an ultra in a very long time.

I have never tried this, BUT, I always use nickel-sized moleskin cutouts for my nipples, and it seems like a similar approach would provide excellent protection for sack skin; however, removal might be a problem. 

UA compression shorts and a little bit of Body Glide. (up to 100 miles)

I have a pair of Nike Pro, but they have a more pronounced seam in the crotch area that tends to irritate after 10 miles, even with Body Glide

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

jjameson

I wear shorts that I've ripped the liner out of.  Not chaffing, just hanging clear and easy.  Of course I'm really skinny so my thighs don't rub.

DoppleBock

Thanks for the ideas - I actually ran today 1st time post 24 hour race.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

I use Skins A200 and have run 2 x 100 milers and numerous long runs in them and have had no problems at all, I call them my "budgie smugglers" as it provides a lot of support around my ball sack. Yes they are quite expensive but I have found them brilliant, cool in the sun, warm in the winter, be it a Britisih winter.

Jerry
              A runners blog-updated daily

FWIW, I just bought two pairs of Champion Double Dry Compression Shorts and they are virtually identical to Nike, for half the price.  $10.81 each on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Champion-Compression-Inseam-Short-Large/dp/B0038RGZ9W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1351740311&sr=8-2&keywords=champion+double+dry+compression

You'll ruin your knees!

Desetin instead.of.vasolene.

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Desetin instead.of.vasolene.

I've seen this recommened a couple of times now.

There are 3 types of desitin.  Cream, Paste and ointment.  Which type is being recommended?

bhearn

I use Asics 2-N-1 shorts, with built-in compression liners. I chafe badly with regular shorts, generally no problem with these. For 100 milers, there is still some chafing.

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

After trying many higher tech things, these work great.  Seamless where it counts and cheap:

http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-794223/adidas-2-pk-sport-performance-boxer-briefs.jsp

MTA: Leadville.

• Black Canyon 100k
                        • RRR
                        • Zane Grey 100k
                        • High Lonesome 100
                        • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                        • The Bear 100
                        • Javelina Jundred (?)

I've seen this recommened a couple of times now.

There are 3 types of desitin.  Cream, Paste and ointment.  Which type is being recommended?

Ointment (Desitin or Aquaphor).  Aquaphor comes in a pocket-sized 0.35 oz tube; I can't say that I have seen anything nearly that small with Desitin.  Desitin is one I reserve for a drop-bag, because of its size and difficulty with removal.  I have a preference for Aquaphor, but like most things mentioned here, just keep trying stuff until you find something that works, as these are highly individualized issues.

GC100k

Right Guard Xtreme Sport Gel.  Does not wear off.  And at 2 or 3 bucks each you can stick them in drop bags and reapply.  I haven't gone 24 hours with it, but it's pretty magic stuff.

Gray Runner

Running Bear

Just wondering, but in a pinch (no pun intended), when chaffing has gotten bad,  has anyone here just cut out the briefs all together, smeared up with your favorite anti-chaff cream, and just run with the outside part of the shorts?  Just let the boys swing so to speak so?  Just wondering if this made it better or worse, really.  

Upcoming races:  
                              Mt. Cheaha 50K 2/22
                              Georgia Death race 100K 3/15-16
                              Sweetwater 50K 4/12
                              Cruel Jewel 100 5/16-17
                              Make It By Midnight FM 7/XX
                              H9 50 mile 8/9
                              Georgia Jewel 100 9/27
                              Pacing at Pinhoti 100 11/XX
                              Dunkin Ridge Trail 50K 11/XX
                              Lookout Mtn 50 mile 12/20

BenTN

Just wondering, but in a pinch (no pun intended), when chaffing has gotten bad,  has anyone here just cut out the briefs all together, smeared up with your favorite anti-chaff cream, and just run with the outside part of the shorts?  Just let the boys swing so to speak so?  Just wondering if this made it better or worse, really.  

If I remember correctly, Bob! finished his 100M with the crotch torn out of his shorts tuning them into kind of a skirt. I don't know if they also took out the liner.

From the race report, I was not there.