Ultra Runners

Ice Age 50M (Read 1630 times)

DoppleBock

I would not personaly take more than 1 day fo vacation for this race. 

Work.  I'm scheduled to work 12 hour night shifts Wednesday night through Monday morning that weekend.  60 hours vacation time is hard for me (read; my wife) to justify. 

I'm going to revisit the idea though.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

Sweeet

I run these at an effort level of a nice easy LSD 20 miler.  If you eat - drink - electrolyte right - this pace will be sustainable, but will get real hard the last 1/3 of the race.

+ I walk any hill I damn well please - Basically if I see a hill and running it would get me to the top in 2 minutes and walking it in 2 minutes and 10 seconds - I walk it - Its not worth the energy burn to run it.

It is 1 loop and 2 out and backs - I will use 2 drop bags.  1st loop (9 miles) is very easy and runnable - Many races are ruined running this section way to fast.

I'm in.  This will be my first distance over a 50K...

I am sure I won't be able to run the entire race at your pace (nor would it be smart to attempt) but it would be cool to run a few miles with some fellow RA'ers.  My plan right now which is open to revision is basically:

Training:

70-90+ MPW, with one midweek run between 16-20 miles.  

Long runs mostly between 27 and 31 miles, with one run maxing out at 35 miles and at least 2 other 50K runs.

Keep up some marathon type speedwork as much as possible

Race:

For the race I'm hoping I can handle a <8:30 pace (about 40-60 seconds slower than my slow marathon training long runs) for all my running miles, and walk hills and refueling points. I have no idea on fueling strategy yet, but during my 50K training runs last year I was able to easily handle gels and eat power bars.  I'll probably experiment over the next couple months with fueling, pace, etc. to figure out what I can handle.

Sweeet

I run these at an effort level of a nice easy LSD 20 miler.  If you eat - drink - electrolyte right - this pace will be sustainable, but will get real hard the last 1/3 of the race.

+ I walk any hill I damn well please - Basically if I see a hill and running it would get me to the top in 2 minutes and walking it in 2 minutes and 10 seconds - I walk it - Its not worth the energy burn to run it.

It is 1 loop and 2 out and backs - I will use 2 drop bags.  1st loop (9 miles) is very easy and runnable - Many races are ruined running this section way to fast.

DoppleBock

I usually run pretty slow in the beginning and then just keep going at that pace - With the exception Glacial 50 this fall - I usually am pretty even on my splits - It just hurts a lot more at the end.

Kalsarikännit

... no more Wisconsin for me.

Good.  I don't want you back on those trails.  I'm a terrible swimmer.

Based on flatfooter's pic of his run at Palos, I'm kind of worried about him showing up, too.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

DoppleBock

I only run races with good weather ... but then again you will have to conform to my idea of good weather.

FANS24 2009 low of 46 / high of 53 - rained moderately for 8-10 hours - or so I am told - I was just enjoying the cool blissfulness of it all - perfect weather for this big horse.  I am not sure why all those skinny runner types had over 1/3 of the field treated for hypothermia?

Seriously - It will be a good day! 

Based on flatfooter's pic of his run at Palos, I'm kind of worried about him showing up, too.

You know, I could use some help at Tahoe...

Rain good, mud bad...

I can still hear the slop slop slop from my shoes on that course last year.  If Ice Age gets that muddy, I hope I won't stop, but I'll be one pissed off dude.  I remember getting to the point where I was telling the mud to fuck off.  Seriously, is that a normal state of mind after running 4+ hours?

Kalsarikännit

normal state of mind

Heh, heh, heh.  You know you are in the Ultra forum, right?

You know, I could use some help at Tahoe...

you and me both

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

DoppleBock

You must have small feet - those of us with big feet just skip accross the mud

Muddy-Mud-Skipper

About 150 of the 600 spots left -  Might take days-weeks-months to fill

The crew from my area all are in now.

I wonder if they would still let Anton or Geoff in if it was full?

I have always enjoyed Geoff's blog as a no nonsense - humble type of guy.  Lately he attitude seems to be moving away from that.  I am not sure if it is just a phase or having the success he has had or moving to CO and trying to eek a living off of ultra-running.  Or he is justed pissed off about not getting into Hardrock?  We will see where he goes from here.

Rain good, mud bad...

I can still hear the slop slop slop from my shoes on that course last year.  If Ice Age gets that muddy, I hope I won't stop, but I'll be one pissed off dude.  I remember getting to the point where I was telling the mud to fuck off.  Seriously, is that a normal state of mind after running 4+ hours?

corland

I would not personaly take more than 1 day fo vacation for this race. 

About 150 of the 600 spots left -  Might take days-weeks-months to fill

Fortunately my employer compensates us with excessive amounts of vacation time.  Unfortunately though, we make minimal $.  5 friends travelling together will help offset the $ required. 

There's one less spot available. 

In. 

Kalsarikännit

In. 

Woo-hoo!  Will you be able to hang out and have a few beers with us after the race?

corland

absolutely -

We wont have a long drive post race this time. 

I was antisocial at Huff.  sorry

DoppleBock

Nice

absolutely -

We wont have a long drive post race this time. 

I was antisocial at Huff.  sorry