Ultra Runners

Ice Age 50M (Read 1630 times)

I wonder if they would still let Anton or Geoff in if it was full?

I have always enjoyed Geoff's blog as a no nonsense - humble type of guy.  Lately he attitude seems to be moving away from that.  I am not sure if it is just a phase or having the success he has had or moving to CO and trying to eek a living off of ultra-running.  Or he is justed pissed off about not getting into Hardrock?  We will see where he goes from here.

I read that too and it seemed like a shift in demeanor. Thornley posted a blog kind of in response to lottery dissatisfaction I think. http://ix.cs.uoregon.edu/~thornley/2011/02/10/a-hypothetical-conversation/

PS Meb is not happy either. http://marathonmeb.com/nyc-exhilaration-and-boston-disappointment/

~Sara
    It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

Thornley's response is awesome.  Those guys are coming across like a bunch of nancy-ass whiners.   They could run HAM radio and do the trail building days at Hardrock this year and have 4 lottery tickets next year.   That seems unlikely Smile

You guys are making me feel really guilty...

The only reason I got into umstead was via their competive entry, and I am not even close to the caliber of the fast dudes.

You guys are making me feel really guilty...

The only reason I got into umstead was via their competive entry, and I am not even close to the caliber of the fast dudes.

No need to feel guilty for that!  You're just following the rules as set up by the RD... totally fine in my book.

Kalsarikännit

Thornley posted a blog kind of in response to lottery dissatisfaction

I love him.  Definitely my favorite blog.  I don't always agree with all of his opinions (I agree with him on this one, though), but he starts some good conversations that involve everyone from the elites to the back of the packers.  Plus he is just damn funny.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Kalsarikännit

No need to feel guilty for that!  You're just following the rules as set up by the RD... totally fine in my book.

+1  I managed to get a friend down there last year based on that rule.  No one had to ask a RD to break his own rules for him to go down there.  Of course I think Umstead may be different with caps on runners based on what is an easy number to manage, versus a hard cap set by park/forest/land service management.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Umstead may be different with caps on runners based on what is an easy number to manage, versus a hard cap set by park/forest/land service management.

This is why Monkey caps.

I got me no caliber either, Steve. Right now I wonder whether I even have legs.

xor

Hard caps.

If I keep falling down on trails, I'm going to have to start wearing one of those.  Cacafuego.

Imminent Catastrophe

Hard caps.

If I keep falling down on trails, I'm going to have to start wearing one of those.  Cacafuego.

You'd better figure that out between now and Tahoe or you're in big trouble. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

xor

You don't have to tell me.  Sigh.

Maybe Bell would sponsor me.

DoppleBock

125 spots left

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

xor

125 spots left

Hmmmmmmm.  Well, luckily I will know aboot Badwater tomorrow, which will have the chain-reaction effect of deciding about IA.

Thornley posted a blog kind of in response to lottery dissatisfaction I think. http://ix.cs.uoregon.edu/~thornley/2011/02/10/a-hypothetical-conversation/

Thanks for posting that link. I met him (CT) at Waldo where he is RD and did not know he had a blog

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

Hmmmmmmm.  Well, luckily I will know aboot Badwater tomorrow, which will have the chain-reaction effect of deciding about IA.

Good luck!  (I guess...   seems sort of like wishing somebody good luck that they get into the execution chamber.)  Smile

xor

Good luck!  (I guess...   seems sort of like wishing somebody good luck that they get into the execution chamber.)  Smile

In this case, it is ok as I'm not the one trying to get into Badwater.  Just a chain reaction thingy.