Ultra Runners

Ice Age 50M (Read 1630 times)

DoppleBock

I see Zach got the absolute last spot - Damn it ... my perfect 1-0 record head to head is going to be soiled.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

My guess montrail will get a few athletes in after the fact as a  sponsor of the series

Kalsarikännit

Zach thought it was funny all morning to freak me out while I was sending frantic "REGISTER NOW!!!" texts, by sending me back silly things. I really thought he wouldn't get in by screwing around Number six hundred. Sheesh..

I forgot the 1-0 record. Oops. Well, you never know what will happen.

I hope that is the final entrant list. Every other Montrail race had the runners sign up on time.

I am surprised by the lack of elite runners. I really consider this to be a great race. I don't understand. The only thing I can think of is that it filled so quick in the last three days. I can't believe not one big name is in, though. Four Western State spots are on the line. I'd sell DB to the gypsies to get to race it this year.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

DoppleBock

Gypsies are usually hot in a mystical - bad girl - kindof way - Sell away

DoppleBock

Actually the final count is 601 ... 1 over the limit ...

1/2 = 132

50k = 168

50M = 301

Purdey

Self anointed title

I can't believe not one big name is in, though.

Zach Gingerich
              Mike Henze

There's two big names. Hey MTP - will you take up your WS place if you win it?

DoppleBock

Way too much thinking

I do not plan this as as a goal race - It is just a run through the woods followed by beer with friends - The only person I want to beat is WG - So I can get to the beer ahead of her.

Zach does not drink beer

If the 10-15 people that are likely to finish ahead of me end up with the flu - No I would not run WS - My goal race is Grandmas the weekend before WS.

Zach is elite - Although he would argue otherwise - He has won Badwater 135 / Arrowhead 135 - ran great 100s - Course records and some screaming 50s - He received votes for the Ultra-runner of the year - Was he 3rd in voting?

Although I have done elite things in the 24 hour race - I am not a trail elite.  I am a flatlanding - pavement pusher.  My trail PR ... set @ ice age ... 7:3?.  Zach will run a 6:10-6:30 @ Ice Age.  My stretch goal is to break 7:00 if I decide to run hard.

Joel Lammers will run low 7:00s.  Dave Dehart has run mid 6:00s in the past - He has struggled with injuries a lot the last 4-5 years.  Kevin Graboski - has a high amount of talent - But last time I spoke to him he is only willing to train 3 days a week - He is a past 1:05 1/2 marathoner.

There are 5-7 people that we do not recognize that will run mid 6:00s to low 7:00s

Christine Crawford will run 7:20-7:40 - Damn I hope I beat her (WG understands).  My guess is there will be 2-3 other women between 7:30-8:00 including WG.  Mary Flaws is a great runner - Newer to trail running - But could hit it big.

Zach Gingerich
                Mike Henze

There's two big names. Hey MTP - will you take up your WS place if you win it?

Kalsarikännit

So I can get to the beer ahead of her.

This means war.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

DoppleBock

That is my gift to you - A little motivation 

This means war.

Zach is elite - Although he would argue otherwise - He has won Badwater 135 / Arrowhead 135 - ran great 100s - Course records and some screaming 50s - He received votes for the Ultra-runner of the year - Was he 3rd in voting? 

He is definitely elite, but it's cool he thinks not. 

Holy crap, lots of people predicted in the 7:30's.  What level of training/level of fitness is a recommended to hit a 7:30 at ice age?  i.e. mileage/PR's.  Also, what is the learning curve for racing a 50? 

DoppleBock

I had been injured off and on for 6 months - started training - 7 weeks later I ran a 3:07 @ Boston - 3 weeks after that I ran a 7:36 at Ice Age with only really trying the last 10 mile - I think that is the secret - patience & conservation

xor

I ran 4500 miles last year and I've never sniffed a 3:07 nor a sub 8 50 hour on trails.  (sub 9 once)

Then again, I do not enter it from the place that flatfooter is :-).  Nor DB.

Always fun to read stuff like that though.

DoppleBock

Ice Age 50M is not a really hard 50M.  It has 7-8,000 of gain / loss.  There are 50ks with that much.  The footing for the most part is pretty good - The rocks and roots are generally far enough apart to lull you to sleep and then one of those bastards will jump up and get you.  Aide Stations are plentiful.

It is not the esiest 50M ever - But a fair 50M that you can run a fastish time.

Mike Henze

There's two big names.

He's just big-boned!