Ultra Runners

What are the best 50K courses? (Read 89 times)

My Sched is pretty tight for 2013 already, but I would like to get in a couple 50K's scheduled for 2014, and I want to ask the ultra running community, what are the best 50K courses?   Now personally, the only 50K I have done was the one in December, one that was local to me, the Seashore Nature Trail 50K in VA, which is a pretty flat course.  (1 Minute video of a past race for a peek at it for any interested party:   )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8hN_b-nvyI

What would be an excellent 50K to do?   (I'd also like to add that for me at least, my preference is as flat a course as possible, only because that is what my training has been here on the east coast!)  But will travel nationwide, and will climb hills as well if it is a highly recommended course :-)  (Not mountains though... Not yet.... :-).    I am not familiar with many 50K courses, so please educate me on the best of the 50K's!

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Uh oh... now what?

Sorry, on second read seemed out of place.

Best Present Ever

What would be an excellent 50K to do?   (I'd also like to add that for me at least, my preference is as flat a course as possible, only because that is what my training has been here on the east coast!) 

the east coast isn't necessarily flat -- do you mean the Eastern Shore?  Charlottesville is pretty hilly, and we head into the mountains often.  Having said that, there is a relatively new 50k -- New River 50K that I've heard good things about.  It's rails to trails, so it'll be flat.

A great 50K course for me is one that is NOT flat, so I'm of no help.

--I need to start some hill training.... I can run flat all day, but the second I go up a steep hill, it takes a lot out of me + my heart rate is quickly through the roof.   I suppose realistically I should work on hills as it will improve my flat running speed as well.  Not to mention, most 50K courses involve hills + trails!

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

"best" 50k? It really depends on what you mean by best.  My vote is Hyner 50k run here in good ole PA.  Not home to "mountains" per se like those glutton-for-punishment westerners but plenty of "hills".  Big grin

Below is the elevation profile for justthe 25k.  The 50k doesn't quite have 2x that but close.  How's that for "great"?

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Moab was challenging but great location.  Red Hot 55k.

• Black Canyon 100k
                • RRR
                • Zane Grey 100k
                • High Lonesome 100
                • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                • The Bear 100
                • Javelina Jundred (?)
                Birdwell

Moab was challenging but great location.  Red Hot 55k.

+1

jackfrost9p

There is a trail 50K in the San Francisco Bay Area almost every weekend. Anything in Marin County (just north of the Golden Gate) is highly recommended. They are tough, provide ~7000 feet in gain, and absolutely beautiful. You will have views of the ocean, mountains, bay and the cities. They are typically loop courses, so you might be running some of the trails a couple times, but I promise you won't get sick of the views they provide. They are also very reasonably price, have great aid stations and a fantastic atmosphere. If you are interested, check out Coastal Trails Runs, Inside Trail Runs or Pacific Coast Trail Runs, who all organize bay area races once or twice a month. Personally, I would not travel to SF just to run one of these races, but it would be a great thing to do on a vacation or business trip to SF. These are low-key races with a few hundred runners.

On the other hand, if you are looking for something more, there is the North Face Endurance Challenge in SF (also in the Marin Headlands),  which attracts people from all over the world.

Marathon: 2:48:49 (Boston 2014) - Half: 1:22:11 (Berkeley 2013)

2x sub-24 100 mile finisher

Next: Big Sur Marathon - Blog: http://jbfinn.blogspot.com/