Ultra Runners

Rant re: family comments (Read 516 times)

Actually, reading through all of these comments again, it seems like a lot of our families have health problems, and we take every precaution (albeit maybe some would say "extreme" precautions) to fight that. Coincidence? I think not. 

Trail Monster

Actually, reading through all of these comments again, it seems like a lot of our families have health problems, and we take every precaution (albeit maybe some would say "extreme" precautions) to fight that. Coincidence? I think not. 

Actually, I started running because I wanted to be 'hot'. My fiancée called off our engagement and I moved home to PA. I was devastated and somehow got it in my head that I could 'show him' by getting into really great shape and looking amazing. I figured he would either want me back or I'd get someone 'better'. None of that was logical, nor did it work in that manner but I did find something fulfilling and joyful in my life. 

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Ultra Cowboy

I found I had to build a foundation.  Most of that was pictures of me doing shorter events on FB to build up a tolerance amongst my family.  My training partners giving me positive comments on those pictures set a supportive tone. 

I am lucky though, both my 70 year old father and 66 year old mother put a value on exercise.  Heck Mom goes to a Fitness Boot camp in the mornings at 5:30 4 days a week.  She has commented a coupler times "couldn't you just run some shorter distances?"  but no guilt trip from her.

I get more grief for a weekend backpack hunting trip solo than a trail ultra. 

WYBMADIITY

Save

BH Slogger

This topic really hits home. I am 50 yrs old, and was an only child raised in a household of negativity. None of my relatives exercise and are all out of shape and overweight. I started running at age 35 so I didn't turn into one of them and have run 19 marathons, a few ultras, finished a 100 miler and am training for another next year. I run ultras to prove to myself that you don't have to genetically gifted to run 100 miles. I'll never forget what my mother said to me before my first marathon - "Remember, if it hurts just quit. It's not worth killing yourself." 

NYCNorma

After I ran my first marathon my dad asked me what I was going to do now that I was "done running."  I laughed, but he was serious!  Over the course of the next few months he continued to make negative remarks about my running and insist that I was "ruining my body."

I finally reminded him that he supported every one of my brothers through decades (DECADES) of sports:  practices, injuries, games, injuries, tournaments, injuries...you get the idea.  Two of those brothers grew up to be personal trainers, another still plays basketball regularly, one sister-in-law is a kickboxer, another teaches fitness classes all day five days a week, and I have three nephews and a niece who play sports year-round.  I asked him how often he called any one of them to talk about how they were ruining their bodies.  He had no answer for that and now he doesn't tell me either.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

If God intended humans to run, he would have given them two legs.

Um.

And a built-in camelback for ultras.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

If God intended humans to run, he would have given them two legs.

Um.

And a built-in camelback for ultras.

Haha! Thanks for the chuckle. Big grin

If only we were born with a built-in camelback....sigh. 

Sandy-2

When I first started doing marathons and ultras I got the puzzled looks and comments about wearing out your body, but over time they have gotten used to it I guess.

I still sometimes get the "isn't it going to kill your knees?" question.  But I answer that with "actually if you don't have an underlying issue, running is great for your knees."  My knees are great.

When I tell them that anyone could do it if they wanted to, even them, they usually slowly step away.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

You'll ruin your knees!

Ironman has been glorified on TV, thus the respect for triathletes. Also, "nobody can eat 50 eggs".

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Wandering Wally

At first I got some of the "You're crazy" BS.  I just nodded and smiled and moved on and kept on keeping on.  Eventually it has morphed into "So, how did you get started running?" and now I get to tell them about couch to 5K and how easy it is.  A few have started running.  Some have started walking.

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

At first I got some of the "You're crazy" BS.  I just nodded and smiled and moved on and kept on keeping on.  Eventually it has morphed into "So, how did you get started running?" and now I get to tell them about couch to 5K and how easy it is.  A few have started running.  Some have started walking.

That's great, it's nice to see people become inspired. My aunt, who has always been overweight, has cheered me on at 2 marathons this year and says it inspired her to start walking every night and lose a decent amount of weight.  I think those stories outweigh the negative ones. 

KreegSauceRuns

My parents think I'm going to have bad knees because I run so much.  They have bad knees, yet haven't ran any.  So whatever.  other family members probably think I'm crazy but I don't care.  I don't critique them on their shopping habits and things they enjoy doing.  To each his own. 

But I also agree with lace_up.  Disturbs me to see the statistics of the US and obesity, etc.

1/8/22 - Frosty 50k - 5:21:19 (strava)

3/26/22 - Blackbeard's Revenge 100 - 27:27:06 (strava)

9/30/22 - Yeti 100 - Abingdon, VA - 25:46:01 (strava)

4/1/23 - Umstead 100 - Raleigh, NC

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

According to the CDC, 35% of adults in the U.S. are obese and 17% of children.  And we wonder why insurance premiums are so high. 

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Ironman has been glorified on TV, thus the respect for triathletes.  

I think this is it.

All you "ultra runners" are crazy and amazing and dedicated beyond belief, but I don't think you have the support through promotion that Ironman provides triathletes.

Most Ironman people, I'd guess, do Ironman because they've been influenced by the branding that Ironman does.

If / when ultra marathon gets that type of recognition with a top notch branding campaign, I bet there'll be thousands who'll want a taste of that cup.

---

For me, I have done an Ironman and will do another soon.  My mom and dad are so far removed from what I do that they might think it's like running a 5k race (ok, maybe a 10k race).  They're young enough to know better.  They don't understand it.  They don't care to understand it. 

They don't understand why I got so many Facebook "congratulations!" and "whoop whoops" from so many friends on or around the day of my race.  And, yes, that frustrates me slightly. 

Brian

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

BH Slogger

For me, I have done an Ironman and will do another soon.  My mom and dad are so far removed from what I do that they might think it's like running a 5k race (ok, maybe a 10k race).  They're young enough to know better.  They don't understand it.  They don't care to understand it. 

They don't understand why I got so many Facebook "congratulations!" and "whoop whoops" from so many friends on or around the day of my race.  And, yes, that frustrates me slightly. 

I get that! I just assumed that my runner buddies were just more supportive than family and friends. I can't seem to keep a conversation going about my marathons and ultras, so I guess they are just not interested.

My last 100 mile, Lean Horse Ultra, I DNF'd at mile 75. The next day at work not much was said (aside from the fact that I didn't need to take the day off) until later in the day a co-worker asked how I did. When I told them I didn't finish, my business partner was shocked and said, "OMG what happened". They just assumed that I went out on the nice weekend and ran 100 miles, like I was out fishing or something.