Ultra Runners

Rant re: family comments (Read 516 times)

L Train

If / when ultra marathon gets that type of recognition with a top notch branding campaign, I bet there'll be thousands who'll want a taste of that cup.

My guess is that this is the last thing most ultra runners want. 

My guess is that this is the last thing most ultra runners want. 

Fair enough, but I was responding to the family reaction that the OP received when comparing a friend of a family member being admired with herself (family) being thought of as insane.

I do think that it takes a special type of person to be motivated by the 'cult' like family within endurance events when there isn't fanfare.

That doesn't mean "crazy" or "insane".  It just means that y'all are special and dedicated beyond my understanding.  And I say that with respect.

And, if it's the "last thing [you] want", then unfortunately, there'll likely be a gap in perception of those within your non-ultra social circles.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Imminent Catastrophe

I'm with L Train. 

The Rock 'n Roll Western States 100!  Shudder.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

You'll ruin your knees!

I'm with L Train. 

The Rock 'n Roll Western States 100!  Shudder.

...or the Lifetime "The Healthy Way of Life Company" Leadville Race Series?  Shudder, indeed...

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

xor

I can eat 50 eggs.

As for Ironman, I was there at the beginning of the boom, just after "the early days" (I did my thing from 1988-1992)... I know the folks who work(ed) at Ironman central in Kona, and I used to make a chunk of change doing Ironman course orientation rides and runs for people who'd come over to train in summer and early fall (2002-2006).  And for those who got in via lottery or other now-plugged loopholes which got you into Kona without previously completing a full Ironman elsewhere, a bit of personal training hoo ha.

I say that to say this: the branding shenanigans of Ironman... not just the races, but the use of the name on all kinds of crap... plus the sponsorship dealings with companies who advertise at Ironman (Ford, for example)... that stuff is amazingly bizarre and full of great silliness.

Flashy bikes and goofy triathlon clothes aside, running 100 miles is pretty crazy, but ultras feel more 'pure' in comparison.  By lots.  Even when "Montrail" and "North Face" appear in front of the name.  Mehopes the Leadville model does not portend the future.

Kalsarikännit

No one other than ultrarunners are going to understand what you do.  Talk about family things with your family, talk about running with your running friends.  If the family gets too negative, bake them one of these.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

No one other than ultrarunners are going to understand what you do.  Talk about family things with your family, talk about running with your running friends.  If the family gets too negative, bake them one of these.

Wise words there Smile

I only bring running up if someone mentions it and even then I look for the signal to shut up if I get to passionite! Also as I have lost weight in the last 3 months (6ft2 and down to 12 stones from 12'10) my family and wife always comment on how skinny or ill I look. I have just learnt to filter that out by way of saying this is me and that I am comfortable with it.

My biggest issue has been trying to manage the inevitable conflict of committing to training and spending time at weekend with family, still working on that one Smile

Chantilly75

Ironman has got TV coverage,  and maybe people don't realize how long those people are out there. (short attention span and channel surfing)

I don't talk about running to non-runners, unless someone asks me.

Even the HM people at work think I'm crazy...Roll eyes

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

Dream Maker

I think it's assumed family and friends who are not ultra runners won't get it (though I am very lucky in this regard... my family just thinks of me somewhat like a low degree addict and I have some friends who are proud even) but the ironman thing reminded me...

I was in class at the gym and the teacher and another class member were training for an Ironman.  When it got out I wanted to do a 100 mile, people were freaking out and calling me insane... Including the teacher.  I was like, uhh, we're both doing more than a marathon and you're paying waaaayyyy more for the privilege of beating yourself up.