Ultra Runners

First 50 miler training build question (Read 74 times)

GoldmanGolfer13

I’m currently training for my first 50 miler at the beginning of September. This past weekend I completed my first 50k as part of the training build up to the 50 miler. Ever since my legs have been completely thrashed which I  expected, however I’m looking for advice about this week’s training. Should I push through the soreness and meet my weekly mileage goal? Or should I not worry about this week’s mileage and focus on recovering? Thanks in advance.

Uh oh... now what?

Why are your legs completely trashed?  I always associated that sort of feeling with being

a) untrained for the distance,

b) running way harder than a training run,

c) ignoring hydration,

d) unexpected hills and dales and stuff,

e) all of the above?

The beginning of September being only 24 days away...  figure out why you were trashed

might be the priority issue, then find a solution.  Does trashed mean you have not been

able to run this week?  Walk?  Do anything to help with recovery?  This being Thursday

it would be nice to be able to do an easy run by now.

How many long runs (something above twenty miles or four hours) have you done?

Sorry for all the questions.

addendum:  forgot the disclaimer:  I have not coaching credentials whatsoever.

jjameson

I'd suggest you take it easy until you are recovered.  The fact that your legs are trashed tells me either you ran the 50K faster than you are used to, or that you had not trained sufficiently up to that distance.  Maybe a combination of both.   Depending on circumstances it could take only a week to recover or maybe as much as 2-4 weeks (or longer!).

You have a 50M for september and are probably anxious about getting more training but allow yourself some rest.  Easy running is possible but no hard stuff for awhile.

Let me preface to say I'm no expert and this is just my 2 cents!

jjameson

Which 50M are you doing?

GoldmanGolfer13

I would say my legs are so beat up due to the amount of downhill running on the 50k course I completed. I have been able to do one easy shake out run yesterday and I hope to do another tonight. My main concern is getting to the start line of my race healthy, which is why I'm asking this question. I don't want to miss out on potential training benefits (running on tired legs), however I don't want to risk injury.

As for long runs I did the following back to back run progression in the weeks leading up to the 50k: 16-8, 18-9, & 20-10

Thanks for responding I appreciate the help.

Why are your legs completely trashed?  I always associated that sort of feeling with being

a) untrained for the distance,

b) running way harder than a training run,

c) ignoring hydration,

d) unexpected hills and dales and stuff,

e) all of the above?

The beginning of September being only 24 days away...  figure out why you were trashed

might be the priority issue, then find a solution.  Does trashed mean you have not been

able to run this week?  Walk?  Do anything to help with recovery?  This being Thursday

it would be nice to be able to do an easy run by now.

How many long runs (something above twenty miles or four hours) have you done?

Sorry for all the questions.

addendum:  forgot the disclaimer:  I have not coaching credentials whatsoever.

GoldmanGolfer13

jjameson- I'm doing the Superior 50 mile, which it looks like you may have done based on your post signature. Any insights on the course up to Cramer Road (27.7 mile)? I did the Moose Mountain marathon there last year so I'm familiar with the last half.

Which 50M are you doing?

jjameson

Yes I did Superior 50 last year and will do it again this year.  The first part of the race is very similar to the second half except it doesn't have the long steep climbs of moose/mystery mountain.  Still a lot of up and down technical stuff.  I love the course as it suits my abilities and is similar to the terrain in Marquette where I live.

You have 4 weeks so I'd take it easy the next few days but definitely try to get a five hour run in the next 10 days, after that some shorter faster stuff and some rest.

You can look at my training log to see what I've been doing for my lead up to the race.  I don't have the base I had last year but I've been able to get in decent shape the last 2 months.  Flatlander is also running the race and you can look at his log but I'm not sure if he is "racing" it or using it for training.

Yes I did Superior 50 last year and will do it again this year.  The first part of the race is very similar to the second half except it doesn't have the long steep climbs of moose/mystery mountain.  Still a lot of up and down technical stuff.  I love the course as it suits my abilities and is similar to the terrain in Marquette where I live.

I am still trying to get a good comparison about how Marquette 50M compares to Ice Age 50.  If someone runs 8:00 flat on Ice Age, what would you expect they can run on Marquette?  Is it significantly more technical or just a few sections of climbing/descending?

BTW, I'm running Superior Trail 50 as well.

GoldmanGolfer13

Thanks for the advice jjamson and flatfooter. My legs have since come around since my initial post last week.

Its good to hear that the first 25 miles of the Superior 50 are similar to the last 25 miles. I have read a lot of race reports cursing the Crosby Manitou sections, however that may be more applicable to 100 milers as it is likely run at night.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Thanks for the advice jjamson and flatfooter. My legs have since come around since my initial post last week.

Its good to hear that the first 25 miles of the Superior 50 are similar to the last 25 miles. I have read a lot of race reports cursing the Crosby Manitou sections, however that may be more applicable to 100 milers as it is likely run at night.

I was just going to say...I'm familiar with the course, but I've only ran the first half of the 50 at night while pacing last year.  I ran Moose Mountain in 2011.  We were slipping and sliding on wet/damp rocks at night -- I assume it will be better in the daytime.  And there's a long plank/bridge section through a pond or something that was quite terrifying at night.  I thought I was going to fall in and the loch ness monster would get me.

Good luck!  I just love that race.

Running is dumb.