Ultra Runners

cgerber at Hardrock (Read 335 times)

You'll ruin your knees!

Chris has a good start at Hardrock 100... he is a very capable runner and I am confident he will do well.  For those who care to track him... you can do so at The Hardrock website

GOOOOOO cgerber!!!

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Imminent Catastrophe

Cool, thanks. I love stalking you guys.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

The King of Beasts

this might be the link straight to him:

http://live.hardrock100.com/index.asp?runner=123

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

Carl A

the link

Sweet.

Go CG!

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

I like looking at the aid station times.  The vets / elites whiz right through.  I looked at those aid stations as an oasis and spent 5-10 mins there. 

Guessing they just grab something their crew has for them and head out.  Not sure where I saw the Miwok 100K video but it showed A. Krupicka run in grab a handful of gels and out within 10 secs and grab a bottle from crew.

• Black Canyon 100k
            • RRR
            • Zane Grey 100k
            • High Lonesome 100
            • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
            • The Bear 100
            • Javelina Jundred (?)

Imminent Catastrophe

I worked an aid station last December, Meltzer came through and didn't even slow down, no water, gels, food, nothing. Just, "where's the trail" and off.

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

You'll ruin your knees!

Some runners' crew will have a hydration pack ready to go and they will just do a hand off on the way through (Dianna Finkle, I believe does this).  I have also seen lots of runners come in/out and sit with their crew away from the hustle and bustle of the aid station (some of them can get crazy, particularly Telluride, Ouray, Grouse, Cunningham) and purposefully avoiding medical personel.  This is really a key issue for some of the back of the packers who are experienced, many of whom believe the medical staff start to look for an excuse to pull a runner, or at least make them sit and eat/drink when the runner (again, experienced mountain runners) know what they need and have a plan to execute. 

Right now, Ouray is nuts and Grouse is getting nutty... will be a wild night.  The electricity on the course will be wild with Dianna F leading!!!  Lot of buzz amongst the volunteers. Some of the back of the packers are about to top Virginius (Kroger Canteen) and likely have a buttload of snow in the pitches below the pass... extreme steep downhill in deep snow that is beginning to freeze over and crust up pretty good... that can get really hairy!  Leaders will go over Handies Peak (Fourteen thousand feet) in the wee hours and will likely have some good snow pitches there as well!  Good stuff... hope they are all safe.

Go CB!

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Thanks for providing the update info.  I've been looking at photos from past races.  WOW!   Go, Chris!  We're with ya in spirit!

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Kalsarikännit

Thanks for the heads up, Lynn.  This race snuck up on me.  This race is unreal.  It is definitely not on my to do list.  These runners are too amazing and crazy.  I really hope Chris kicks some butt!

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

You'll ruin your knees!

I was planning on being there this year to pace a buddy, but he developed H.A.P.E. (High Altitude Pulmonary Edima sp?) after the first week up there and had to come home so I bagged my trip.  I have been up there the past two years for pacing/crewing duties and it really gets in your blood.  I was dressed and ready to run last year, standing 2nd on the waiting list for the start... no deal.  I was way down the list this year with no chance.

WG, if you get to go, get ready for it to run all other races for you!  It is truly amazing... WS will look like some big hub bub marathon to you after you experience Hardrock! 

GO CG!

Ultrachick

Chris finished!!!!  WooHooo!!! Congrats Chris!!!!
                        If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
                          Nice race Chris!!!
                          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Kalsarikännit

Amazing job, Chris!  Please tell us all about the race when you are up to it.  I hope you are extremely proud of yourself.  I can't imagine what all went into this.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Imminent Catastrophe

Nice run, Chris. Looking forward to reading about it. It looks spectacular, the San Juans are just beautiful.