Ultra Runners

Which 100M should I attempt next? (Read 53 times)

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I'm looking for another 100-mile run, and on my mind are:

- Virgil Crest in Upstate NY, 22k elevation gain

- Grindstone in VA, 23k elevation gain

- Superior Sawtooth in MN, 21k elevation gain

- Bear in Utah, 22.5k elevation gain

Virgil Crest and Grindstone are closer to my home (within driving distance), Bear and Superior Sawtooth would require travel by plane, higher cost. Bear is a high-altitude race (I have never run at high altitude, but I'm familiar with higher altitudes, as I grew up and hiked a lot in the Alps in Europe, many years ago). For Bear, I'd look at the 2016 race.

I have finished Eastern States 100 in 2014, where it was hot, and the trails are rough and technical, difficult in places (21k+ elevation gain), I finished OC100 in 2013 (also unseasonably hot), and I just finished MMT100 last weekend (hot and humid).

I like technical trails and lots of elevation gain, but as I said above, I have never tried an ultra at high elevation.

What are the specific difficulties and perks of each of these races?

Any experiences of you to share?

Suggestions, comments, ideas are welcome, please.

Run for fun.

AT-runner

Tim

You loved MMT, and with your busy home schedule, Grindstone.

Still waiting on that RR. 

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

DoppleBock

You will find this a totally different 21k of evelation ... nothing much at one time ... no 5 mile 5000 foot climbs.

Sawtooth will be your best choice.

I'm looking for another 100-mile run, and on my mind are:

- Superior Sawtooth in MN, 21k elevation gain

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

I second Sawtooth.  One of the most technical trail races you can run.  There are some really amazing views by day and at night in the forest it can be pretty magical in the north woods with crazy mushrooms and other fungi emerging once the temps drop.  I don't know about the others but Bear is pretty non-technical compared to superior.