Ultra Runners

Kouros 24 Hour World record (Read 869 times)

DoppleBock

When he finished, he declared emphatically, "I will run no more 24 hour races. This record will stand for centuries."

http://www.coolrunning.com.au/ultra/1997026.shtml

I believe a great althletic performance should be appreciated, even celebrated - Like a great work of art or symphany.  But for me the true measure of the performance is not how long the record stands, but how much it inspires.  If it inspires people to reach for greater perfromances than they otherwise would it is truly great, even if it only stand for a year, month or week.

I believe Yiannis is currently the greatest 24 hour - 10 runner of all time - Not just because of the records - but he consistently achieved huge numbers.  But if you can not take my word for it, ask Yiannis he will tell you.

What I like about Jurek's US 24 hour record:  He ran it on the biggest stage - World Championship, although he celebrated it - he did not revel in it and he did it while helping his team / country to a bronze medal.  I hope that it has inspired a new crop of ultra-runners to excel at the 24 hour race.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

cpev

>>>>>> David

I doubt it will stand for centuries, or at least I hope it doesn't. If a significant number of really fast marathoners get into 24 hour races, I think we will see it go down in our lifetimes. Granted, not every fast marathoner, even with the desire to run a 24 hour, will be cut out for it. I think, though, that given enough people trying, eventually someone will come along with the endocrine system to handle it and take the record down. The marathon being the farthest "popular" road racing distance is the best place to look for someone to really take down a lot of ultra records, in my opinion.

And when I say fast marathon, I mean something like 2:15 at the slowest, although most people that fast will probably stick with the marathon. Someone from the 2:15-2:20 crowd is more likely.

Finally, to me Kouros's record is inspiring and I will definitely be running a 24 hour race in the future after I settle some business with the marathon. I'm not saying I'll be the one to break the record  though, just that I like the event and want to see what I can do. The tone of that "centuries" statement kind of pisses me off, though, which may be why it's so inspiring and why I want to see the record broken so much.

DoppleBock

Chris, I agree with you - But I do not think it has to take a 2:15-2:20 marathoner - Even a 2:30-2:35 with the right other traits.

Kouros was documented to be able to process 800+ calories per hour

Purdey

Self anointed title

Yeah - this is what I think made him really great. I doubt there are many people on earth who can achieve this - and it will take more to break the record. It won't take 2:15 marathon speed, but maybe 2:20 - 2:30 coupled with the ability to process calories that rapidly and an exceptional endocrine system. Maybe we shouldn't look to marathoners for the next great 24hr race - it could come from one of the insanely quick 100k runners.

kopid905

Chris, I agree with you - But I do not think it has to take a 2:15-2:20 marathoner - Even a 2:30-2:35 with the right other traits.

Just curious, how many calories can most ultra guys process an hour?

DoppleBock

Normal average person 300-400 per hour

If you work at it - practice - practice - 500 per hour

600 would be incredible

kopid905

So what is the best way to get better at processing calories?  Huge long runs?

DoppleBock

My opinion - non-scientific

Practice eating on your runs

Last night on my 40 mile run I took along 1500 calories of endurox, 14 gels - It was hot and I did not feel like eating (Bad DB) so I only got down 2200 calories in 6 hours 46 minutes (Technical trail running)

kopid905

Wow, you have any sources for discount prices on gels?  Sounds like you go through quite a few.  I've seen those gel flasks, but how would you carry those while running?  Do they clip onto your waistband?  I was thinking about getting one of those and using honey as a gel alternative.  Anyone have success with that?

DoppleBock

I do go through a lot of gets - 19.99 per 24 - Last time I ordered - I ordered 10 cases.  I am going to try and get sponsored by them this fall.  I wear Race Ready LD shorts.  Last run, I fit 14 gels in the shorts - I also wear a waste pack and a camel back - So I can fit a fair amount of nutrition on long trail runs.  I will also do a looped 7 mile run and just do 5-8 loops, so I have access to my car every hour.

I think there are some great gel alternatives - Honey is natures perfect gel - I have had success with gels + Endurox, so I stick with it. 

Wow, you have any sources for discount prices on gels?  Sounds like you go through quite a few.  I've seen those gel flasks, but how would you carry those while running?  Do they clip onto your waistband?  I was thinking about getting one of those and using honey as a gel alternative.  Anyone have success with that?

xor

I put 6 gels in a pair of race ready shorts and they droop on me when running "fast" (especially when I'm sweaty).

14.  Sweet.

jpdeaux

A friend running long once carried Gu's inside his shorts. Not. A. Good. Idea.

For more than one reason. Blood resulted.

The corners of those suckers? Surprisingly sharp!

DoppleBock

They have to be tied really tight - Which leaves me with raw rope burn - But plenty of energy 

I put 6 gels in a pair of race ready shorts and they droop on me when running "fast" (especially when I'm sweaty).

14.  Sweet.

xor

A friend running long once carried Gu's inside his shorts. Not. A. Good. Idea.

For more than one reason. Blood resulted.

The corners of those suckers? Surprisingly sharp!

Yes.  I have one of those nathan vests that you see ultra runners use ("The Krissy vest").  It has a front pocket made out of netting... which now has a big hole because the pointy points from a couple gu packages sawed at it for 10 1/2 hours.

I do go through a lot of gets - 19.99 per 24 - Last time I ordered - I ordered 10 cases.  I am going to try and get sponsored by them this fall.  I wear Race Ready LD shorts.  Last run, I fit 14 gels in the shorts - I also wear a waste pack and a camel back - So I can fit a fair amount of nutrition on long trail runs.

DB, I would think you could get a sponsorshlp just because you can fit 14 gels in your shorts.

But tell them about your 24 hour running accomplishments anyway.