Ultra Runners

Umstead 100 (Read 893 times)

xor

McNaughton (April 16th) is in Illinois, now called Potowatomi.   I hear it is the hilliest in Illinois, but I don't think it is worse than KM100.

Si.

The other part of that story is that the McNaughton dude moved (to Vermont?) and took the name of the race with him.  The name doesn't make any sense these days, but there's still a McNaughty:

http://peakraces.peak.com/mcnaughton/

The gal I pace in 100s has run the Illinois McNaughton (now Potowatomi) 3 times.  She tells me it is hard.

I have other friends who have run the 150 at both venues.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yeah, folks were talking about that at Umstead.

Wow.

xor

I still vote for Heartland.

As for KM100, that probably isn't happening for me.

This guy has a video.  It isn't anything crazy exciting.  There isn't a band every mile.  It's just a 100 mile race.  

I watched the video. I read the race report. I realized something. I'm doomed. Nothing I saw or read made me not want to do it. It may be just what I'm looking for. Thanks, WG. I reserve the right to curse your name at some future time, however.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

Kalsarikännit

I watched the video. I read the race report. I realized something. I'm doomed. Nothing I saw or read made me not want to do it. It may be just what I'm looking for. Thanks, WG. I reserve the right to curse your name at some future time, however.

YAY!  I was so afraid I was going to put that video up and everyone was going to think that it looks boring.  100's do get really boring, but I think the race looks like a good place to just zone out and run.

SRL, why aren't you coming to Kansas?

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

xor

I said I probably wasn't coming to KM.  Kansas is too far in the future for me to guess yet.

The Bear 100 is very very nice.  Beautiful course...  stunning.  Hard, but not terribly hard.  Enough climbing to break things up and give the running legs a break.  Fall color.  Aspen trees.  Blue skies.  A crazy blue lake at the finish.  Point to point.  Good stuff...  highly recommended.  No pollen either.

L Train

Dumbass.

MTA: You just like the wide open space. 

Kalsarikännit

I'm disappointed that it will take place during the new moon.  A full moon night would be awesome for running out there.

Speaking of, I read a funny thing in a race report.  It seems that it was a very dark night out but a runner was plodding along with his headlamp off, when suddenly he finds himself knocked back onto the ground.  He had run right into the side of a cow.

L Train

Runner tipping - Revenge of the Cows. 

And that video was appealing in some ways.  Being from  the midwest, I can appreciate all that open space.  But being able to see the course ahead of me for miles and miles and the likelihood of relentless wind would get to my brain, I think. 

Imminent Catastrophe

The Bear 100 is very very nice.  Beautiful course...  stunning.  Hard, but not terribly hard.  Enough climbing to break things up and give the running legs a break.  Fall color.  Aspen trees.  Blue skies.  A crazy blue lake at the finish.  Point to point.  Good stuff...  highly recommended.  No pollen either.

We have different definitions of terribly hard.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Imminent Catastrophe

Just fyi, McN is mother's day weekend.  And, yes, it is hard.

They do have a 500 mile category.  Fun fun fun.

I was considering KM100 meownself.

...but that would involve counting to 100. You might need a pacer. Or a counter.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Kalsarikännit

Greg, I just found a race report of a very low-key, small 100 going through Cape Cod.  It looks like they were trying it out to see if they can make a bigger event out of it.  I can't find any information about this year, but maybe it is still in the planning stages.

How about the brand new Pigtails Challenge? 5/26

http://sites.google.com/site/pigtailschallenge/

10 mile loop, a few little hills, low elevation

It's put on by a very experienced local ultrarunner, she's running the 200 miler herself and will have a stellar cast of volunteers out there.

~Sara
                              It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

xor

How about the brand new Pigtails Challenge? 5/26

http://sites.google.com/site/pigtailschallenge/

10 mile loop, a few little hills, low elevation

It's put on by a very experienced local ultrarunner, she's running the 200 miler herself and will have a stellar cast of volunteers out there.

One spot left.  One spot left.

Think hard but fast!

"Stellar cast".  Oh yes indeed.

And you will get a buckle that is decidedly not kosher.