Ultra Runners

Umstead 100 (Read 893 times)

On On

Beat me to it.  Big grin  This will be my spring 100 miler.  I have already done Umstead.  It is nice, but I would like to try something new.  Plus I'm very confident there will be beer at the end.  Of course the mountains and tough 100's are great, but after Umstead I really began to appreciate not seeing two sunrises during one race.  I am excited about this one.

Rocky Raccoon is nice.  No complaints.  It was my first 100 and ended up a slow death march.  I will go back one day to prove myself on the course.  But until then, Rick is stuck with me.

My big exciting comeback will be at Bandera.  I love that race.  Camping at the start and finish.  Rocks and sotol.  Good times.  Today I told Trent that I think it is a good prep race for a spring 100.  (Lynn, I expect you there this year...)  100k is a great distance, but they also have a 50k.  It would be nice to see other RA'ers there.  I am going to Austin for a day or two after the race.  Cool town. 

Wrigley, this is great to hear.  Are you aware that the 100 Mile race was won by a female last year?  She is already registered to defend her title.  It will be a great race to have the two of you go up against each other.

Are you going to be at NC24?  I think I heard you are a DNS but your name is still on the list.  My wife and I will be timing the race so make sure you stop by and say hi if you do end up at the race.

Kalsarikännit

Jessica Kennedy is going to be there?  Craaaaaaaaap!  Haha.  Her time last year was excellent.  I am in terrible shape right now plus I will have a month in Nepal with no running, so I know I will be no compition for her.  PR's are always a good thing to shoot for, though.  I think right now if I go sub 18:45 I will be happy.

I like that you have camping before the start.  More races should offer it.  I have given up on sleeping in tents for 100 milers, just because I don't get the quality of sleep that I need.  If I was racing a shorter distance I would be all over it.

No North Coast.  Have a good time though.  I will be keeping an eye on the results as they roll in.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Imminent Catastrophe

My big exciting comeback will be at Bandera.  I love that race.  Camping at the start and finish.  Rocks and sotol.  Good times.  Today I told Trent that I think it is a good prep race for a spring 100.  (Lynn, I expect you there this year...)  100k is a great distance, but they also have a 50k.  It would be nice to see other RA'ers there.  I am going to Austin for a day or two after the race.  Cool town. 

I wish you people would quit spreading rumors about Bandera. Everyone knows that Texas is flat and sandy. And on fire.

NJUF is a nice fast course, might be a good place for a fast 100k or 50M. And everyone got chicked last year.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

You'll ruin your knees!

They also do a 100/50 on the Bandera trails at the end of October called Cactus Rose.  Water/ice only aid stations, BYOF.  I'm considering running the 50 just to see if the full 100k at Bandera is something that I'd be able to endure without crying (much),

Joe is adding a 100 mile relay to Cactus Rose this year... 4x25 mile loops!  Perhaps a team from RA???   Cactus Rose is a pretty special race.  I have done both the 100 and the 50 and enjoyed myself very much!  The Cactus Rose course is the same as Bandera without the flat stuff.

Haven't figured out if I am going to make it down to Cactus Rose or Bandera... I guess if there are enough RA'ers going to one or the other, I could be influenced.  Being retired from running has really cut down on my race attendance. 

That said, I will make every accomodation for RA'ers who visit DamNation at Rocky Raccoon! 

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

It is highly likely I will finally escape The Mouse and show up at Bandera.  Perhaps I will finally meet buzzie.

What are the various reasons for no Raccoon?  Don't like it?

Had a good time (but not time) at RR 50, but not feeling a strong desire to repeat. At this point, I'd rather spend my racing dollars on new adventures - so many to be had.

Aid stations and organization were terrific. But... while I do enjoy a bit of two-way traffic (especially as the day/night wear on), I wasn't overly fond of the two-way on single-track - especially given the HUGE size of the field.

I'd to it again, but not so soon.

Liz

pace sera, sera

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Woo hoo!

But tell me, does the camping also include meth heads and gap-toothed yokels, or will I have to bring my own?

As for Austin, I'm all in! Love that town and have spent a good bit of time there over the years, having been involved with a local and considering a move. Roll eyes (Heck, it's still on the list of places I'd consider moving to - and there aren't many of those, even though I'm from Detroit.)

Liz

pace sera, sera

Ojo

There is the NJ Ultra Festival the week before that has a 100 Mile option.

www.njtrailseries.com/njultrafestival

I will be there again for only for the 50k.

Sara

MM #2929

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Bandera 100km & 50km & 25km

Bandera Texas - 7 January 2012
                  Saturday 7:30am -til- 7:30am Sunday (24hr limit)

A Trail Run of Rugged and Brutal Beauty
                  where Everything Cuts, Stings, or Bites

hmmmm.... Wink (travel is hard)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

xor

We're all counting on you.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Counting?

You only have to count to 8.

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

8 can be a very large number.

For you, no problem! Smile

Liz

pace sera, sera

You'll ruin your knees!

Counting?

You only have to count to 8.

...so turn it up to 11 just to make sure!

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Have a great race Trent!

I see Mike Morton will be there as well.  I expect him to make a run at Zach's course record.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I expect him to make a run at Zach's course record.

He won't have to worry about any competitions from me.