Ultra Runners

Cleaning a back pack (Read 360 times)

I have a Inov-8 12 litre back pack which I wear on almost all my runs and is brilliant however I am beginning to get grumpy looks from the Mrs as it is beginning to smell a bit especially after a run from old sweat.

I usually hose it down with a bit of cold water on the odd occasion but the smell is soon reactivated. I don't really want to use chemicals on it in case the fabric is damaged.

Anybody got any good ideas how to stop this thing stinking out the house.....apart from putting it outside?Smile

Jerry
    A runners blog-updated daily

You could use a mild hand soap.

I just machine wash in cold, and air dry. I did this every 2 weeks over the summer, and my bag seems fine.

Do you think after a machine wash I should re-waterproof it?

Jerry

Do you think after a machine wash I should re-waterproof it?

That depends on the material. If it is DWR it will need some eventually. But there is special DWR soap for those. If it is Urethane Coated or Nylon Coated, I think it will be fine. You could always email inov-8 and ask them.

The info about the DWR is correct.  However, if it is just nylon or cordura or something similar I would try baking soda and white vinegar.  It works wonders on nasty smells.  Just put it in the wash with the vinegar and baking soda in place of detergent.  Should work fine and it cleans the dirt out really nice, too.  Then if needed you can add scotchguard or what have you for the coating.

It may not be the best thing for it, but I just wash mine in the washing machine.  Gentle cycle, cold, front loader, so no agitator to muck things up and tear off the straps. 

I would try baking soda and white vinegar.  It works wonders on nasty smells.  Just put it in the wash with the vinegar and baking soda in place of detergent.  Should work fine and it cleans the dirt out really nice, too. 

Well, you can do this on all your clothes.

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

If waterproofing is not an issue (I know nothing about such things), I've found that a good soak in some salt water works well.

I soak all of my running clothes and FiveFingers in water laced with epsom salts prior to running them through the washing machine.

Liz

pace sera, sera

If waterproofing is not an issue (I know nothing about such things), I've found that a good soak in some salt water works well.

I soak all of my running clothes and FiveFingers in water laced with epsom salts prior to running them through the washing machine.

I would think this would cause excessive wear due to salt crystals in the material. I could be wrong though.

These are all good ideas, I quite like the Epsom Salt idea as I am a bit adverse to putting it in a washing machine as it may be a little too tough on it.

On an aside, there is something just not right about washing a back pack to get dirt off it as it alwways looks a bit "hardcore" with mud on it. The smell thing doesn't really botther me as I am in front of it Wink

Smell though for Mrs Jerry is an issue so will try and keep her happy

Jerry

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

I would think this would cause excessive wear due to salt crystals in the material. I could be wrong though.

Umm... I don't know - none of my clothes or shoes have fallen apart yet. Things do get thoroughly washed and rinsed after the soak.

Liz

pace sera, sera