Ultra Runners

Desert Solstice 24-hour coverage (Read 62 times)

Uh oh... now what?

Kalsarikännit

Bunch of fools jogging around in small circles.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Got yer metronome?

Liz

pace sera, sera

Kalsarikännit

Tick, tick, tick!

Psychological warfare.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I should try this some day.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

bhearn

Looks like WG is the metronome. She's in next to last, but ahead of goal pace. I see blowups in some runners' futures.

Jeff F

Free Beer

Looks like WG is the metronome. She's in next to last, but ahead of goal pace. I see blowups in some runners' futures.

She has them right where she wants them...watch out when she gets in the zone.

Zach just crushed the USA 100 mile record 11:48 and looks like he is still going...

Uh oh... now what?

Pam Smith -- She just got it!  100 miles in 14:11:26!!

A new petition to ban the Oregon women is available.

TripleBock

100 km             6:10:20      # Don Ritchie (GBR)               28 Oct 1978 London (CP)
                      100 miles          11:28:03     # Oleg Kharitonov (RUS)           20 Oct 2002 London (CP)

World record is 6:52.8 pace

Zach's pace is 7:04

I am not sure of all time 100 mile track times for the World ~ But I would think this would be in the top 5?

I am fuller bodied than Dopplebock

TripleBock

AS good as Pam and Zach's races were - My question is how long will they stand.  I think there are woman out there that could break the 100 mile road workd record 13:47 on road or track.  Will Pam's performance get people interested?  Or will we remain 100 mile mountain trail centric nation?

Zach was a really good D3 runner ... I do not want to take away from his incredible performance, but will it generate interest by anyone with more raw speed than he has?  Speed alone is not enough, but the more people that take a crack at it, the more likely it can be done.

On On

AS good as Pam and Zach's races were - My question is how long will they stand.  I think there are woman out there that could break the 100 mile road workd record 13:47 on road or track.  Will Pam's performance get people interested?  Or will we remain 100 mile mountain trail centric nation?

Zach was a really good D3 runner ... I do not want to take away from his incredible performance, but will it generate interest by anyone with more raw speed than he has?  Speed alone is not enough, but the more people that take a crack at it, the more likely it can be done.

Other than putting on more races so there are more opportunities for the records to be broken what do you see as next steps to getting more runners out there?

Will records being broken create enough interest?

Will money being paid to record breakers work?

Will money being paid to top 24 Hour runners work?  Can anyone find a way to monetize the sport?  There was a lot of interest in watching the race at the 12 hour mark.  I think I saw something like 400-500 individual users on at a time.  Now this is small potatoes compared to other sports but is that a start?  Selling web based broadcasts?

Just throwing thoughts out there, sorry I do not have the answers.

TripleBock

I think that the success of the 100k and 24 hour teams at World Championships created a lot of interest.  Jurek helped by crossing over.  I think records being broken will create more interest.  Money does not hurt, But I am not sure it is essential.  I for one look forward to the expansion of USA ultra-running back into road - track - timed and LD events.

Other than putting on more races so there are more opportunities for the records to be broken what do you see as next steps to getting more runners out there?

Will records being broken create enough interest?

Will money being paid to record breakers work?

Will money being paid to top 24 Hour runners work?  Can anyone find a way to monetize the sport?  There was a lot of interest in watching the race at the 12 hour mark.  I think I saw something like 400-500 individual users on at a time.  Now this is small potatoes compared to other sports but is that a start?  Selling web based broadcasts?

Just throwing thoughts out there, sorry I do not have the answers.

Kalsarikännit

I obviously had a bad day. I'm just not on good shape right now, and I had a bunch of small problems that ended up making for a big problem.

The Coury's put on a top notch event as usual. This is really a special race. Just like last year, you ended up meeting all the other runners, and they were so encouraging. I love the vibe there. Zach and Pam were awesome, of course. I have a MVP though, and it isn't either one of them. Ed Ettinghausen really stuck out to me. No one was more vocal in their support of other runners, no one had such a positive attitude, and when it was time to dig deep he really got the job done. He was out there all 24 hours and he worked so hard. I had tears in my eyes when I saw how hard he was working in the final minutes to get every possible inch. It was beautiful. I was told that he couldn't get into the event last year because his numbers just weren't there. This year he made drastic improvements, got in, and showed everyone how it was done. It was beautiful.

Kalsarikännit

Irunfar still has made no mention of American and World records going down this weekend. It is mind boggling.