Ultra Runners

Desert Solstice 24-hour coverage (Read 62 times)

Kalsarikännit

I do believe that it is a great website, and Lord knows it is his, so he is free to write about whatever floats his boat. I admit I have been cranky since the snipet about whether it is appropriate to give Olsen the UROY because it wasn't trails. This was ridiculous, as were some of the comments. They made it sound like roads and such were so OLD FASHIONED, and we have evolved past that. Nonsense. We are in a sport that celebrates Gordie Ansleigh, and ignores the rest of the history.

I was just having fun with the limrick, but I do believe if he wants to run a trail site, go for it. They have been super heavy on the skyrunning stuff lately. If it wants to be a trail and ultrarunning site, coverage will have to change a bit.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

WG - I loved your limerick.

My first impressions as I've ventured into ultra running have been that trail ultras are the focus and 100M races have taken on the same type of aura for ultra runners as the marathon has for road runners. And the tougher and more technical the trails, the better the race. One poster in another forum questioned why I would even want to run a trail ultra since I was looking for one that wasn't too technical or demanding as my first venture onto trails. Watching Desert Solstice unfold was a throw back to olden days for me when many ultras were run on the track, and a trail ultra was the oddity. I didn't run ultras back then, but living on the East Coast names like Ted Corbett and Tom Osler were familiar to me. I'm hoping this will stir up more interest and there will be 24-hour track races open to anyone and not by invitation or qualification only.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

George-I can think of 4 track timed races off the top of my head:

1-Badgerland Striders ultra in Aug

2-AL after Thanksgiving (small local race, adv on FB)

3-Dawn to Dusk to Dawn in May in PA

4-6daysInTheDome in Alaska next July.

All are open to everyone. There are probably others... MTABig grin2D2D is in Sharon Hill PA. (Sorry about the link-on phone): https://events.r20.constantcontact.com/register/eventReg?oeidk=a07e8n5216icd011dde&oseq&c&ch
        bhearn

SF One Day

Imminent Catastrophe

SF One Day

Did that a few years ago, it's a nice one, and you can't beat the view.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

bhearn

I keep intending to do it. But it never works out. Certainly not this year.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

All are open to everyone. There are probably others... MTABig grin2D2D is in Sharon Hill PA. (Sorry about the link-on phone): https://events.r20.constantcontact.com/register/eventReg?oeidk=a07e8n5216icd011dde&oseq&c&ch

D2D2D is practically in my backyard. It's about a 30 minute drive for me. Strange that I've never seen anything about it on the local race calendars I use. It's also 3 weeks after IAT50.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

Kalsarikännit

Sue, how the heck did you find out about the 2nd and 3rd one?

I wish every race would put something on ultrarunning or ultrasignup.

There is also Cornbelt on the track. It is a pretty old race. It is hand counted though. It made me nervous. I like chip timing.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Sue, how the heck did you find out about the 2nd and 3rd one?

Facebook. The Shazam! 24 Hour in Alabama after Thanksgiving via GUTS friends, and The D2D2D via the RD's (Bill Shultz) postings. He crewed for JoeF at VolState and I met him again at Big Backyard Ultra.

George-Even if you can't run it, I'm sure Bill would love to have you as a volunteer.
                    MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

George, if you decide want to come back to Wisconsin, I would happily crew you!

Running is dumb.

jjameson

Never thought I'd do a long road ultra.  Did Door County 50 in Wisconsin a few years ago.  All paved road.   I was totally dreading it.

You know, it was actually really really fun.

Now, about running on a track -- not sure I'd like that unless it was maybe a mile or more long.

TripleBock

Track - Cornbelt IA

I am fuller bodied than Dopplebock

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Sue, that's what I was thinking when I saw the date.

Mandy, the Badgerland Ultra is only 3 weeks before NC24.

I suspect I also need to be cautious about overcommitting myself to races. I'm already committed to a HM in January, Jackpot 12-hour in Feb, IAT50K in May, a 15K in July, and NC24 in Sep. I'm also considering a race on June 14th and the distances offered range from 10K to 50K. There's also a Fat Ass run in northern NJ in August. From what little I've heard, they can be a lot of fun. I'll have to file these away for future reference.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

They are not on a track, but they are fixed timed, loop courses:

Pacific Rim One Day (March)

One mile loop inside a park in downtown Longview WA.

Croatan 24 (October)

1.3679 mile loop within the Cedar Point Recreation area (NC)

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

4-6daysInTheDome in Alaska next July....

August 4-10., 2014

There *might* be a trail 24-hr (with 6- and 12-hr also) in June near Palmer, AK - aiming for a 4-5 mi loop.  (they're still working on hurdles of getting permit)

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog