Ultra Runners

Hi, and I just came to a realization.... (Read 342 times)

chrimbler

Hi, I just joined this forum, and I'll tell you why....are you sitting comfortably?...then I'll begin...(some of you will get that one) I ran my first marathon last year (3:28) took some time off, got back into running and have entered into a local half June 20th and Queen city marathon Sept 13th. I have found that whenever I try to add speed work into my routine, I get hurt....nothing serious, shin splints etc, I'm taking a few days off to get rid of this one. So my realization is that I love to go out and run, but can't go fast (for me) So I am going to give ultra running a go, seems like my speed (pun intended) I will honour my commitments for this year, and if I do happen to BQ in Sept. I will go and run that obscure race Wink But I think this is where I belong....am I crazy? Anyway just thought I'd say Hi and look forward to trying something new and picking your brains.
    Run like you stole it!
    Carl A

But I think this is where I belong....am I crazy?
      Hi! If you think you might be crazy, ultrarunning's a good way to find out for sure. Good luck in your summer races. Are you thinking of hitting any ultras in particular?

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

chrimbler

Well there is the Blackfoot ultra and I've been looking at The Canadian Death Race, not until I've done a few easier ones of course!....But I would love to be able to say I'm a Death racer Yes Other than that not too sure, there are a bunch in Alberta and BC which means a bit of travel, but thats ok...Are there any 'must runs' I should know about?
        Run like you stole it!
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Gotta do Halliburton. A buddy of mine is the RD and he tells me it is a great race Smile
          chrimbler

Where is that?
            Run like you stole it!
            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

http://www.ouser.org/races/hali.htm Halliburton Forest. My buddy is actually not the RD, but works with her. I got that wrong, sorry.
              chrimbler

Thanks, sounds good, maybe next year
                Run like you stole it!

You'll ruin your knees!

There is no spoon? Welcome! Crazy? I think crazy is doing a lot of speed work on a track... speed kills! I've always thought the CDR was a neat concept, they market it well. Not sure I'll ever get up there for it. It seems there are more and more races every year that I want to try, but can't seem to get to. Good luck and keep us posted as to your exploits! Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

chrimbler

There is no spoon? Lynn B
                    It's from The Matrix
                    Run like you stole it!

You'll ruin your knees!

Matrix? Never saw it...

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Hey Chris - Welcome.  My friends and family are convinced that ultrarunning = crazy, so you'll fit in just fine.

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance