Ultra Runners

North Coast 24 (Read 1194 times)

thanks roots. I do almost all my long runs latish at night..often when Im ready to fall asleep. I think that will benefit me--especially as I stretch those runs out. When Im in my groove I like to hit the running trail late at night by myself. After my 2nd child is born, I'll probably have to stay in the neighborhood in case Im called back with a crying baby or 2. But I do really enjoy night time running.

DoppleBock

http://www.iau-ultramarathon.org/

In regards to the 2011 24hour World Championships, the IAU Executive Council, is working with a potential bid in Taiwan. If the bid is accepted and the race goes forward, it will not be any earlier than November 2011

During the annual meeting in Monaco between IAU and IAAF, some IAU Championships for the next years were allocated.

2012:

WC/EC 100km, Seregno (Monza-Brianza) (ITA), April 2012
      WC/EC 24H, Katowiche (POL), September 2012
      Final IAU 50K World Trophy, Vallecrosia-Bordighera (ITA), October 2012

2013:

WC/EC 24H, Steenbergen (NED), May 2013

*** The April 100k screws up Mad City as the National Championship Race for 2012.

*** The September 24 Hour race - Screws up North Coast as the National Championship Race for 2012.

If I felt I was in top shape for the 100k for 2012, I would consider entering the race as an open participant - They usually allow that for the 100k.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

Rose

Dan

Alexandria

VA

M

Horn

Debra

Shaker Heights

OH

F

Gardner

Connie

Medina

OH

F

Henze

Michael

Neenah

WI

M

McGinn

Shannon

Avenel

NJ

F

Seems to be missing WG ?

Kalsarikännit

I signed up a week ago.   They haven't updated the list since Jan 13.

What I really want is an entrant list for 20 in 24 in Philadelphia.  I have no idea who I will be facing, and I have a funny idea that there may be some good 24 hour runners there (they offer mucho dinero).  If anyone hears anything about someone who looks to be competitive, I would appreciate the heads up.  I have a slight case of batshit crazy, mixed with a heaping scoop of nosey and  I have to admit that I love that most ultras give you the chance to see who is going to be there.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

What I really want is an entrant list for 20 in 24 in Philadelphia.  I have no idea who I will be facing, and I have a funny idea that there may be some good 24 hour runners there (they offer mucho dinero).  If anyone hears anything about someone who looks to be competitive, I would appreciate the heads up.  I have a slight case of batshit crazy, mixed with a heaping scoop of nosey and  I have to admit that I love that most ultras give you the chance to see who is going to be there.

Good luck with Philly. I will NOT do that one again after the first one. Nothing like running in the triple digits heat  in down town Philly with not a whole lot of water (granted they have done MUCH better the past couple years) on asphalt . Anna P will more than likely be there and maybe that young girl that won it last year.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Kalsarikännit

that young girl that won it last year.

Sabrina Moran.  I am pretty sure she will be there.  She handed my ass to me at Umstead. 

Rocken, if it is ok, can I pick your brain about the race a little closer to the date?

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

DoppleBock

http://www.usaultrarunning.com/24-hour-team/qualifying-for-the-team

Wow some interesting changes with the screwed up World Championship situation

If they hold the 2011 WC in November and it is within 6 weeks of NorthCoast -

Top US 2010 WC finisher - Scott Jurek

Top 2011 USA Champs race - NorthCoast

+4 others or as many needed based upon performance

If they do not hold 2011 WC

Top 2010 USA Champs finisher - Serge

Top 2 2011 USA Champs finishers

+ 3 others based upon performance

If the hold WC and it is more than 6 weeks - Than standard rules apply

3 from USA Champs

3 others based upon performance

THis will be sticky in 2012 also - With the WC race sceduled for September in Poland.

What does it all mean?  I am not sure if it will apply for 2011.  Sept 17-18 + 6 weeks is Oct 30th.  If they hold the 2011 WC race it will in November.  I do think if this happens it will either screw the 2011 team members or the 2011 team results - I sure as heck can not run 2 high quality 24 hour races within 8-10 weeks of each other.  If other 2011 Team USA members feel the same way, then it will be a wide open 2011 NorthCoast.

If they do not hold 2011 WC - NorthCoast will become my fall goal race.

I emailed NC24 and got a quick response. They have 14 names to add to the list. They will likely have it updated shortly.

bumping this..

DB--what's your status on this? I havent been keeping up..

Had a slipped disk that sidelined me..And I find it notoriously hard to get back in the groove. But I start running again tonight.  1 month old baby as well..and he's had some issues--had to have a meatoplasty at 3 weeks..and an overnight stay..and bunches of urologist visits. Im now to the point where I feel I have to get out and have some good running time.

This event is now my sole focus. I think the baby's schedule can help me. Im planning on making it a regular habit to get up and run in the neighborhood after the middle of the night feedings to get used to moving in that fatigued state. I really think I just need to ease into the mileage--and not worry about speed--just time on my feet--walking too.

Hope everyone is doing well..

DoppleBock

I am running

I am also running Leadville - So this will be a crap shoot, I am a slow recoverer.

I want a spot on the Team for Poland 2012 - So this will be my 1st crack at the cat.

It will be a repeat of last year - Except My wife will crew me and help WG and Angie (Local lady)

I have my hotel already - With only 2 spots available this year - It will be a dog fight.  My goal will be to go for 150+ (Almost impossible 4 weeks between Leadville and NC24)  So For the 1st time in a 24 I am going to likely go out harder than I think I should and risk likely failure for the opportunity.

I have 2 races as fall backs before the June 12th, 2012 deadline when I will be recovered.

bumping this..

DB--what's your status on this? I havent been keeping up..

Had a slipped disk that sidelined me..And I find it notoriously hard to get back in the groove. But I start running again tonight.  1 month old baby as well..and he's had some issues--had to have a meatoplasty at 3 weeks..and an overnight stay..and bunches of urologist visits. Im now to the point where I feel I have to get out and have some good running time.

This event is now my sole focus. I think the baby's schedule can help me. Im planning on making it a regular habit to get up and run in the neighborhood after the middle of the night feedings to get used to moving in that fatigued state. I really think I just need to ease into the mileage--and not worry about speed--just time on my feet--walking too.

Hope everyone is doing well..

DoppleBock

PS - Sorry to hear about your babies issues

Practice walking is vitally important.  I do think you have a fair amount of aerobic fitness you can tab into after you get back in the flow.  I also think one should experiment with different training approaches, but usually we get into too much of a rut to try - So this is a good reason to experiment!

I look forward to seeing you also

cool.

Im staying with family..will be going up Friday, staying at my dad's while I recover on Sunday. I am leaching onto the NERC's support. I have no idea what will be realistic for me at this point..which is kind of what the alure to this format is vs..going out and running a traditional ultra.

Im just excited to see all the ultra legends lapping me all day and night.

He's a trooper..the only time he was obviously uncomfortable was when there was a cyst (or blood clot) blocking his flow and he bacame bloated.  They removed that at our pediatricians office and that gave him immediate relief--then went to the urologist that he sent us to and for some reason he decided to cath him..went to Cincy Childrens urology and they removed the cath..a week later he needed the surgery--the opening completely shut. He will liely need the surgery again--but they want to try to wait until 6 months. In the meantime we need to make sure the opening stays wide enough by inserting a catch tube 3 times a day..

TMI, I know. But he's a happy--big baby. Was 9 lbs 21-3/4 at birth, and is still off the charts--but doesnt look chunky at all. His footprints from the hospital take up the entire sheet.

DoppleBock

Kids are tough - I think it is harder on the parents to see and think about. 

I pray that future procedures are minimal and successful

Thanks..Yeah..He wont ever remember any of this..I wont ever forget. Knock on wood--if this is the worse thing he goes through, then we are very, very lucky.