Ultra Runners

100K (Read 181 times)

My sweet new crank!

I have found some training recommendations for 50K and 50M, but not coming up with a 100K plan...anyone have one... I am not sure when I will be ready for one, though I would like to try one mid-late April here in Madison. Not too tough, compared to most trail ultras, on road 100K. Suggestions? I will be in my first 50K in Feb. www.madcity100K.com
    Ryan O'D Gurnee, IL by way of Madison, WI via Wichita, KS via Denver, CO

You'll ruin your knees!

If you have a 50 mile plan that you like, just ramp it up a bit, particularly on the long run days. You'll be OK, but understand that 50+ mile races will require you to refuel (eat) and hydrate more consistently and confidently than the shorter races...be sure you work eating and drinking into your long run sessions. Good luck! 100K is tough, don't let anyone convince you otherwise... Unless you have a lot of base miles under your belt with a good number of long runs (or lots of marathon experience), I will suggest that moving from your first 50K in Feb to 100K in April is pretty aggressive. Your log is not public, but from your profile your first marathon was in 2005 (congrats!). Like me, you are not a small runner and I believe that unless you are used to high mileage, you may be heading toward injury. Please don't take it the wrong way, just be careful... Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

My sweet new crank!

i will make the log public so you can check it out...but i appreciate the advice, better to run the who year than burn the whole candle by April! Maybe I will start with a 50M in may, then shoot for a 100K in Fall...

You'll ruin your knees!

OK...was the break in August due to injury? After a quick glance, seemes like you were beginning to get consistently in the hi20/lo30 mile weekly pattern, then had a stretch of no activity in late Aug/early Sept and relatively low miles in Sept. Almost like you were starting back up in October and December looks like the biggest month you've had. With just barely a month of 30 mile weeks, I think you would be wise to focus on your Feb race, maybe pick a Spring 50 mile (assuming you maintain the higher weekly average) and consider a fall 100K, or maybe even a 2009 100K after having strung a few 50K/50M races together over the balance of 2008. Either way, best of luck! Keep us posted on the progress for the 50K. Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

My sweet new crank!

thanks, yeah, i was out with a foot injury, an enflamed nerve, or something, a month later a simple steroid shot made it all better... i am planning to steadily increase miles, provided my bride does not hide my shoes as the miles get up there!!!