Ultra Runners

WS100 Lottery (Read 585 times)

Anyone who has run WS before - appreciate thoughts on accommodations.  Thinking 3-4 days pre race and then a night in Auburn.  Imagine will have 4-6 ppl in tow.

Thanks,

Jay

Do you need to worry about altitude acclimation?  I've heard 3-4 days is about the worst amount of time.

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

No.  Im at 7000 feet now.

• Black Canyon 100k
      • RRR
      • Zane Grey 100k
      • High Lonesome 100
      • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
      • The Bear 100
      • Javelina Jundred (?)

Kalsarikännit

You could stay right at Squaw Valley, there is a ton of accommodations, but Tahoe City is a really quick drive, and had shops and things to do, plus a billion cheap little motels.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

locomote

No dice for me this year, but that's okay.  My bank account is breathing a sigh of relief. 

Right now, I'm thinking Grindstone 100 in October.  I've really got to bust out some hardcore training for that one, though.

Sorry Jason...

Jay - Like Wrigley said, a bit spendy, but plenty of places to stay in Squaw Valley (you might want to start making accommodations soon if you want to stay there).  They have condo-type accommodations with full kitchens, so that helps cut down on the expense - cooking for yourselves.  And there's a nice Holiday Inn in Auburn that's not too far of a drive from the finish line.  Has a swimming pool and hot tub.  The nice things about staying in Squaw is you're within walking distance of all the goings-ons and can cruise back and forth from your room as you want to throughout the day.

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Uh oh... now what?

You could stay right at Squaw Valley, there is a ton of accommodations, but Tahoe City is a really quick drive, and had shops and things to do, plus a billion cheap little motels.

WrigleyGirl,

Which Shapiro book is the sig line quote from?  I have his "Meditations from the

Breakdown Lane... " but would track the book that quote is from down if I could.

Christmas, self-indulgence and so on.

Kalsarikännit

John, the quote is from "Ultramarathon". Click on his name where it is highlighted in my signature line. It will take you to an excerpt the was printed in Sports Illustrated years ago. Unfortunately, the book is out of print and I have seen it listed for $100. I would love to read it. When I first read this quote I was amazed. I had never heard anyone express the worst part of any race: the horrible, sleepless nights after the 24 hour races.

xor

Since staying in Auburn was brought up, my contribution to this thread is...

If you are going cheap, the Auburn Motel 6 > the Auburn Super 8.  I've stayed in both.  There, 6 > 8.  Trust me.

bhearn

John, the quote is from "Ultramarathon". Click on his name where it is highlighted in my signature line. It will take you to an excerpt the was printed in Sports Illustrated years ago. Unfortunately, the book is out of print and I have seen it listed for $100. I would love to read it. When I first read this quote I was amazed. I had never heard anyone express the worst part of any race: the horrible, sleepless nights after the 24 hour races.

Huh. I haven't had that happen. But immediately after a 100 I can't lie down in any position without being in pain. About the only time I ever take Advil.

Kalsarikännit

Huh. I haven't had that happen. But immediately after a 100 I can't lie down in any position without being in pain. About the only time I ever take Advil.

It isn't a problem after the 100's (well, a tiny bit after Umstead). It has happened after big mileage at the track 24's. I think a big part of it has to do with how flat it is. It is just the same muscles being used the whole time. Without being a drama queen, I have to say that it has been pretty darn painful.

bhearn

I'm considering a track 24-hr New Year's Eve as training for Rocky Raccoon. Hmm.

Kalsarikännit

I'm considering a track 24-hr New Year's Eve as training for Rocky Raccoon. Hmm.

Bandera 100k! Same race director and perfect timing. Lots of the people at Bandera are doing both.

bhearn

Oh yeah. Joe Uhan told me to run Bandera. Hmm.
                            HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

If you want a track loop, Across the Years down in Phoenix is very well supported.  24-48-72 hour races.  You can pick which day around New Years to race, too.

I'd like to do Bandera, too, but spending my time trying to qualify for Boston again....

• Black Canyon 100k
                              • RRR
                              • Zane Grey 100k
                              • High Lonesome 100
                              • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                              • The Bear 100
                              • Javelina Jundred (?)

Weegee

As much as it pains me to recommend a track over a trail, I'd say go with ATY if you're going over 50K.  Bandera's on January 12, which is getting pretty close to race day for Rocky.