Ultra Runners

2012 US National Championship Team (Read 2305 times)

DoppleBock

Seems I have iratated the race director or at least someone from the race who sent me an e-mail after I posted this on ultralist

Ray - Exactly what I was thinking.

There are some pretty easy ways to put a safety net around the issues if you want.  
    You can put 2 cameras that have the clock and the start finish mat (see runners) as a backup - You need 2 for any tape changes.

I would think that NC would have some kindof redundant system ~ As they know a NR is a real possibility.

I am afraid that this amazing performance may not be able to be certified.

She said it was the 1st year inagural event and some other stuff - Race directing is not easy.
     I do think that most people do not see this as an inagural event, but the 4th event of North Coast 24. 
    Either way, when you direct the US Championship race - The expectation is higher than a 1st year charity event. 
    The 3 previous events were top notch. To be fair - This event might have been top notch in every area but timing?

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

I would say that the event was OK ... there were some highlights and disappointments. Some of which, to me, are inexcusable at a championship race.

Good

• Swag - fairly nice shirt, hat, bag, and stuff
      • Aid station fare - typical ultra buffet, appeared well-stocked on my few stops (post 3:00am)
      • Porta johns - plentiful and at two locations on the loop

Bad

• Post-race breakfast - included for racers, $10 for others - cold pastries! (that was it, just pastries ... more sweet carbs); oh, and they dumped/cleaned up all the aid station stuff immediately after the horn ... was glad to get some water before it all was used to wash dishes
      • Race information - lacking detail (especially info for USATF runners) and confusing mix of both May & September and this year/last year race info
      • Timing / lap counting - nuff said

Strong on creature comforts (including friendly, helpful volunteers), but weak on critical elements of racing.

IOW - it was a great event for those interested in spending a day in the park enjoying an ultra with friends; not so great for those striving for peak performances.

Liz

pace sera, sera

DoppleBock

Interesting on Breakfast - In the past they had eggs etc

At FANS24 it is not gourmet - But Tater tots, sausage and maybe bacon, eggs and some fruit

The Community center that breakfast is held at - a 400 meter walk up the hill from race start / finish has showers and the award / breakfast held in the Gym.

DoppleBock

Was this a spur of moment thought or are you really thinking about it? 

And I'm feeling a little (more) crazy (than usual) ... thinking about making the trip to FANS. I like this roundy-round stuff. Shy

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Was this a spur of moment thought or are you really thinking about it? 

Really thinking about it ... looking at flights, printing the registration form Smile

Liz

pace sera, sera

DoppleBock

I think WG, my wife and I are staying at the super 8 Bloomington Friday night. 

bliss24

Seems I have iratated the race director or at least someone from the race who sent me an e-mail after I posted this on ultralist

Ray - Exactly what I was thinking.

There are some pretty easy ways to put a safety net around the issues if you want.  
                You can put 2 cameras that have the clock and the start finish mat (see runners) as a backup - You need 2 for any tape changes.

I would think that NC would have some kindof redundant system ~ As they know a NR is a real possibility.

I am afraid that this amazing performance may not be able to be certified.

She said it was the 1st year inagural event and some other stuff - Race directing is not easy.
                 I do think that most people do not see this as an inagural event, but the 4th event of North Coast 24. 
                Either way, when you direct the US Championship race - The expectation is higher than a 1st year charity event. 
                The 3 previous events were top notch. To be fair - This event might have been top notch in every area but timing?

DB - Yeah.  I hear ya!  When I saw that on the ultralist, I wondered if someone was going to give you slack for it.  About 12 hrs into the race, I asked on the NC facebook group page "Are there any updates?" and I got reamed for daring to suggest that the organizers put us internet viewers ahead of the task of taking care of the runners.  Totally a defensive response.  I was only asking anybody, not those who were lap counting, if there were updates.  The thread morphed into how hard the organizers were working.  And while I completely understand how hard they had to have been working to track the runners when they had expected they could relay on e-timing, the air was one of "do not criticize us."  And I wasn't criticizing at all. I did, however, suggest that they get a new timing system since it has never worked well.  I suggested nicely that they look into the ATY system.  Have you ever done a timed event with it?  It is fantastic!  I guess after running ATY, my standards for e-timing have been set. Again, I was informed that the timing systems have all been different over the 3 years.  Well, ok, but my point was to get it right!

I honestly think that had I been there running at NC, I would have stopped early.  Of course, others like Sabrina are tougher than me and more flexible and she rocked the course despite the troubles.  But, I am not a watch or GPS person and I do  not keep track of time and distance and I rely on the timing system.  I also have one person crewing for me, or I am unsupported.  So, it's not like I can assign one of my crew to watch the timing.  It's a big deal. 

When I saw that Nunes quit early, I said to myself that I was sure it was the timing cluster.  I know him well.  He came from Brazil. He's a record-holder.  He doesn't come to the US to quit.  I can ask him why, but I bet he was fed up with the timing.

NC is top notch.  It's a great race.... in everything but the timing.  They set a national championship standard in all other areas and then they throw it away with the timing.  I truly hope that they get it together about that for Sept.  In all other areas, it's great and I would love to run there again.  (Though if the organizers get hold of this email, then I may not get in!  LOL!) 

I've been in several 24 hr runs where laps are lost.  It was expected going in with the low-key event and kids who do the timing.  THose are some of my favorite races.  But I don't go there for accuracy and PRs, I go to a place like NC for that. 

Anyway, that's my rant. 

I don't know why we are "not allowed" to discuss it or point out any concerns publicly, like your comment on the ultralist, which didn't blame or anything, and was just a mention of a concern and a point worthy of discussion.  The defensiveness does not bode well for making me feel confident that they are going to look at the mistakes (we all make them) and do better next time.

(I didn't proof this, so sorry if there are typos and run-on sentences).  Smile

xor

I think WG, my wife and I are staying at the super 8 Bloomington Friday night. 

Please compare and contrast your experience with the Nashville Microtel.

Ok then.

Kalsarikännit

Srl- Nothing will ever top the Monkey-tel. I think I will stay there again this year. Skootr's Club 206 (or whatev) was excellent.

I did Cornbelt with no crew or aid. They have their own counters and seem proud that they are sticking with an old tradition. It made me nervous, but I settled down with the first person keeping track of me. That person did an excellent job. But (and God bless all the volunteers) not everyone was up to that first persons standards. There was major confusion at some points and it did make me nervous and unable to run as relaxed as I would like. I just want to run. I came within a mile of the CR there and have thought about going back to try to get it, but I don't think I could take the stress of the manual counting again (well, and another reason).

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

xor

What is the other reason?  "That corn belt sure was scratchy!"  Is that it?

Kalsarikännit

Sigh. I've brought this one up before, but the two track 24's, Badgerland and Cornbelt (well, now there is Desert Solstice too) you can have someone with you when you are walking. At Badgerland they request that you stay to the outside lanes when you do this. At Cornbelt they don't care where you are. Some people spent the majority of the race walking and had their family and friends with them. Husband and two kids and the racer all spread out around the inside curve of the track that you had to go wide to avoid. This went on for 24 hours on a 400 m track. That's a lot of extra running. I don't mind having to go wide for a participant. When the participant's BFF is blocking me, that is a problem. I got the impression that this was another race where they are not expecting people to be really competitive. It is too bad. One of the women involved in it has been running 24's for a long time, busts her butt out there, and is very nice, but it is obviously something that she doesn't see as being a problem.

DoppleBock

All that being said - 24 hour performance is at an all time high in the USA - It's an exciting time to be a 24 hour race fan.  We should be in top 3 for men and women in Poland ~ Maybe I should say Women and Men as I think the ladies will take a stronger team.

cpev

>>>>>> David

By the time I became fully aware of the lap counting problems I'd already stopped running. At that point I got to talk to some of the crew for other runners. Suzanna's crew guy said he had been taking good splits the whole time, but the officials had her at 2 fewer laps than he did. They were also refusing to consider that they may have made a mistake and check what he had recorded. He decided not to let her know until the race was over.

Another big one was either 2 extra laps to Connie or 2 fewer to Sabrina (I can't remember which, and this can probably never be confirmed). Basically, Sabrina knew or was otherwise convinced that she was 2 laps plus a couple minutes ahead of Connie. She asked what her lead was and was told that it was only a couple of minutes. Since I was on the sidelines by that point I could really tell that it effected Sabrina's morale for a while. Tania (national team manager) did her best to help the situation by trying to get the officials to check it out, but again they refused. If there was a mistake, and Sabrina wasn't just imagining having lapped Connie twice (which I guess is possible), it's a darn good thing that she was so strong at the end.

The first time I did North Coast I was pretty happy with how it was run. This time, not so much, especially given that it was a national championship having these problems. There was certainly a lot of things the director and officials did wonderfully, but unfortunately when something goes wrong in this fashion it's going to stand out quite a bit.

Anyway, now that that's behind me, I'm looking at a fall marathon and Desert Solstice. 

Im not the expert, but unfortunately, I don't see any way that this record will be ratified..unless Im shocked and our chips were actually registering in some format that can be deciphered. They had us wear our timing belts the entire time, and added chips to our bibs maybe a few hours in.

Kalsarikännit

I can't wait to see the results from 3 Days. I am curious to see how Phil did at the 48.