Ultra Runners

2012 US National Championship Team (Read 2305 times)

DoppleBock

I have been looking over the entrant list for Northcoast 24 May 5-6 and 3-days at fair May 11-13, Virginia Creeper April 21-22 - I cannot see Cornbelt.  I do not see some of the big names who I would expect to be making a last pull toward the US Team.  There are a lot of good runners and I still think there will be at least 2 distances run in these races to get onto the ranking list for the US National Teams ...

It is all just a waste of time to look as it will be obvious by FANS the mileage one needs to hit.  Maybe some of the names I would expect will show up on the FANS list soon?

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DB - Do you know if the 3 you mentioned in your initial post are going to try?  Scott Jurek - David James - Nick Coury

I see Jon Olsen's name for NC 24.  He could hit a big number if it's a goal race for him.

DoppleBock

I have not seen their names in the races I have looked at.

Zach Gingerich has a history of dropping into races at the last moment and has the ability to run far.

I am sure there are a dozen people (Men + Women) that I do not recognize that can run far enough.

Of the 3 you mention - Scott will run internationally at times - So he could be doing something I would not look for.

If the distance needed to be hit remains 141-147 ... and my training continues as planned ... I would give myself a 50/50 shot at it.  24 hour is a cruel race and for everything or even 90% of the things to go well is magical.

DB - Do you know if the 3 you mentioned in your initial post are going to try?  Scott Jurek - David James - Nick Coury

I see Jon Olsen's name for NC 24.  He could hit a big number if it's a goal race for him.

Kalsarikännit

Zach Gingerich has a history of dropping into races at the last moment and has the ability to run far.

Yeah.  Other than Badwater, he signs up for races two days in advance.  That bit him in the ass at the Des Plaines 50 when they weren't prepared for a speedy guy and didn't have aid stations set up for the first 10 miles.  Then they didn't have the turn around marked.  He had to run extra at the finish to make up for the confusion at the turn around.  (He still ran the fastest 50 mi of the year after all that, though).

Anyways, he moved to Portland a few months back, so he won't be showing up at Cornbelt.  Plus the 24 hour world champ is a little less than two months after Badwater.  He is pretty trashed after those 200 mile training weeks that he throws in.  Mike Morton will be running BW this year, so we will see how that affects him at worlds.  Some people recover well.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

It seems like Zach has been racing less this year, no results on ultrasignup for 2012.  I was expecting to see him on the list for IAT 50.  Is he injured or something?

DoppleBock

Worse - Married

It seems like Zach has been racing less this year, no results on ultrasignup for 2012.  I was expecting to see him on the list for IAT 50.  Is he injured or something?

DoppleBock

Anyone know the results of the Virginia Creeper 24?

Next up

4/30 Operation Endurance - Fort Benning, GA - No link

Then

The 3 most likely to move the bar up for qualifying distance

5/5-6 Cornbelt 24 - Eldridge, IA  https://secure.getmeregistered.com/get_information.php?event_id=5717 

5/5-6 NorthCoast 24 - Cleveland, OH - Spring addition http://www.northcoast24.org/

5/10-13 3 Days at the Fair - Sussex County Fairgrounds, NJ http://www.njtrailseries.com/

The last 2 I would be really suprised if there were not at least 1 man and 1 woman adding their name to the list from the race.

40 days until FANS24 ... So much work to do and so little time.  By now I am suppose to be in my 3rd or 4th week of practicing walking and be 20# lighter.  Tick-Tock Dopplebock - Time to get your fat-ass in gear!

OutRun 24 just finished in Kirtland,OH. Results are t up. Given the conditions its probably not likely that anyone put up huge miles. the only update I could find is that a few people did more than 100 miles. Plus anyone that is trying to put up a big number is probably running the NC24.

male winner was 115 miles. Top female was 111. I had no idea about this event. It sounds like it was a nice event from all the positive posts Ive seen on FB. It would be nice if would have been spread out a bit from NC24. Although, Im guessing NC24 was added to the schedule after this was.

On On

Anyone know the results of the Virginia Creeper 24?

Not sure if you saw the results for the VA 24 Run for Cancer posted results.  Nothing over the minimums.

http://va24hourrunforcancer.com/results.php

I look forward to some big results being posted in the next two weeks.  Let's see what can happen at North Coast and then at 3 Days at the Fair.

DoppleBock

No - Thanks for the link

The one thing that stands out to me is

SUZUKI, TATSUNORI

That guy runs a lot of 24 hour races.

Not sure if you saw the results for the VA 24 Run for Cancer posted results.  Nothing over the minimums.

http://va24hourrunforcancer.com/results.php

I look forward to some big results being posted in the next two weeks.  Let's see what can happen at North Coast and then at 3 Days at the Fair.

DoppleBock

I do think between NorthCoast and 3-days, we will see at least 1 man and 1 woman, maybe multiples make the standards for team USA.

Selfishly - I hope not 2 men > 150 miles.  Although for my love of US 24 hour racing - That would be really cool - Showing how far we have come over the last few years.

I think with perfect weather, 32 good days of training and eating, a body that is willing that day and holds together + the righ nutrition and pacing ... I could hit @ 150.  But that is a lot of ifs ~ That is why I appreciate good performances so much ~ a lot of stuff has to go right to get even close to your potential for the day.

I am most worried about 2 things ~ My hamstring and my pacing.  The 2 times I did decent ~ I was fit enough to be able to run super effortlessly the 1st 100 miles and still do well.  The other times I had to push it to try and get into position in the 1st 12 hours ~ That does not end well for me.

Kalsarikännit

Selfishly - I hope not 2 men > 150 miles.  Although for my love of US 24 hour racing - That would be really cool - Showing how far we have come over the last few years.

+1

I am torn between wanting to see these runners do an amazing job and throw down some crazy, crazy miles, and the other half hopes that that they have ok races, but don't hit great mileage.  Which of course is selfish and I feel bad about. 

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

On On

No - Thanks for the link

The one thing that stands out to me is

SUZUKI, TATSUNORI

That guy runs a lot of 24 hour races.

He has been at 3 Days every year.  Not what you would consider fast but very steady.  I wonder if he would do better to concentrate on one or two big races a year?

Very nice guy as well if you ever get a chance to talk to him, very quiet guy but after meeting him a half dozen times or so he is finally warming up to me.

As for your personal interests and the possibility of others hitting big marks, I wish you the best in your efforts.  Though I have never run at nearly the capacity as you I have been around many runners over the years who are trying for records or high personal marks and the smallest thing puts a stop to it.  Watching Connie last year at North Coast plugging along for the record and looking at the splits knowing that she was losing seconds every lap. And if you go back through her splits it all hit the wall in the middle of the night when she had some GI issues and spent a few to many minutes off the course in the bathroom.  No matter how she tried for the next 6+ hours she could make up the needed time / distance to get back on track for the record.

I wrote something similar about Phil McCarthy's record run in 2011 for Ultra Running magazine, almost everything has to go perfect for that record run.   

On On

FYI, Tatsunori is a Japanese resident living in Philadelphia, so even if he ran 200 miles he still wouldn't make the US Team.  He got screwed out of money / a ribbon at North Coast last year, because even though he is a USATF member he is not a legal US resident so he didn't count in the results.