Ultra Runners

2012 US National Championship Team (Read 2305 times)

DoppleBock

I had to help DD with science project tonight, so I could not start long run until after 8 - Happy to have the 31 in the books.

I like the FANS course.  There are only 2 not as nice things in the 4 km loop.  The cedar ave bridge - 4 lanes of Concrete and Mt Nokomis - A 15 foot high hill that you cross on grass between paths,

One nice thing for some people is that you can run on the side of the pavement on the single track and it is still part of the certification.

I like the distance - 4km with a basic aide station 1/2 way and full aide station at start finish.  They allow 200 meter out and backs in the final hour - So the most you can get shorted is 199 meters.

It is certified and they have 2 forms of lap counting - so it is record elgible.  They take a 100 mile split with 2 seperate clocks, so again record elgible.

course is not completely flat - but with the exception of the 2 areas I mentioned above all very easy to suffle along.  I have never used a headlamp - the back side of the course gets fairly dark - but you eyes get accustom to it and there are enough lights in the vacinity to make do.  With the exception of cedar bridge, the course is easy on the eyes - basically circling a lake in a park.

The course is not closed to the public - but I never had any issues.  One year Meb was out for a training run - apparently he visits the area frequently.

back in 2000 they still had that annoying bush about 90% around the course - I step down and then go around bush - It has been taken out.

Enough trees that it has a fair amount of protection from the wind if there is any.

June in MN can be a high of 54 and rain for 10 hours straight or a high of 85 - But it is not prone to as many extremes as if it was right on lake Erie.

If you have specific questions - Let me know.  I know Annette Bednowsky is thinking about it also.

Good distance course?  Hard for me to say.  Deb Horn has run it a few time - Connie Gardner ran it last year.  I find it fits me pretty well - I like to do my own thing, not run with people.  Nice thing for me about 4km is it really spreads people out.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Kalsarikännit

Unfortunately though, every year I get older... 

It is crazy, but because of ultrarunning I kind of look forward to this.  Criminy, the masters are tough runners.  I can't stop getting geezered at races.  I can't wait to grow some grey hair and blow by all those young punks.  

Mt. Nokomis sounds good for people having to throw a small walk section into their loop.  I always think it helps to change up the muscles used.  I love the track, but I have never hurt like I have after running all that flat.  I can't get into a rhythm with a small walk section at NC24.  Aid station leads into an uphill, but you can't walk that long because it goes right into that gradual downhill where it is a waste to walk.  I like the track because I can plan a walk/run schedule and stick to it.  Of course I feel like a fool walking laps early in the race, but you have to stick to the plan.

Lisa, DB is a freaky beast, but some of the other mileage is crazy good.  Carolyn Smith ran 83.2 miles for the 12 hours.  That is great (and it means there will be no cherry picking for me come race day Big grin).

I am liking what I hear about FANS.  These are all training run-races until September, but I am getting pretty excited. 

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

DoppleBock

Carolyn ran 82 mile in 2010 and the 83 in 2011.  2011 was a hot day ~ mid 80s ... she is an animal.

The other interesting thing about FANS is it offers the centureon (sp) certification ~ They have a certified person there that monitors walkers who are trying to get to 100 miles in 24 walking ... to make sure no running takes place.  2 years ago - 2 men and 1 woman all walked > 100 miles from Europe.

Race directors are very professional and approachable.  This is a passion for the race committe - Not just because it benefits the FANS project, but because the whole race committe has been in place for 10-20 years and they know their stuff.

It appears new this year (Good thing) is that pre-race weigh in is mandatory - But the 4 hour weigh ins and not.  Just if you want or the Doctor calls you out for looking too crappy.  It was a bit of a pain to break stride and invest 30 seconds to weigh in ... although I found it interesting data to have.  In the past if you gained ot lost more than 5% body weight they could pull you until you got back in range.  I weigh 200#, so that is 10 #.

Typical is

HR 4 = 197

HR 8 = 194

Hr 12 = 192

Hr 16 = 195

Hr 20 = 199

So basically I think I burn the glycogen off and then start retaining fluids (Both from muscle damage and I drink a lot) ~ but all in all - I think this is pretty good and do not want to change/

Lisa, DB is a freaky beast, but some of the other mileage is crazy good.  Carolyn Smith ran 83.2 miles for the 12 hours.  That is great (and it means there will be no cherry picking for me come race day Big grin).

I am liking what I hear about FANS.  These are all training run-races until September, but I am getting pretty excited. 

DoppleBock

Lisa - I am a pussy cat - Not a beast or freaky.  Just a mild manner bean counter.

I am a big horse (Clydesdale) blessed with a sturdy plow horse body that can handle a large training load.  My stride is as pretty as a long haul truck driver doing ballet, with a goofy flair on my right side.  But on a possitve note - They can never get my lungs to fit on an x-ray ~ hey you gotta have a lot of oxygen to propell 200#.

bliss24

Good distance course?  Hard for me to say.  Deb Horn has run it a few time - Connie Gardner ran it last year.  I find it fits me pretty well - I like to do my own thing, not run with people.  Nice thing for me about 4km is it really spreads people out.

Thanks a ton, DB.  That's very helpful.  Sounds a lot like our local Pacific Rim 24-hour but without the sharp turns and Seattle rain/snow in March. 

I definitely like the longer loop because it's easier to get in a groove.  I actually don't mind the changing surfaces, and Mt. Nokomis sounds like like Mt. Sacajawea on the our Pac Rim loop.  Wink

Well, it's really last minute for me and I hadn't planned on traveling ... and I haven't trained much at all and I'm not sure I can swing it with my work schedule, BUTsometimes it's fun to risk it being ugly!   At the very least, I would get to cheer on you and Annette and see some of my midwest ultra family. 

I really appreciate your help.

DoppleBock

I hope you are able to join us.

I need to make good choices the next 30 days to have a chance for the US 24 hour team - Nice thing is FANS is the last race, so you will know what you need to do ...

My question - If your distance is still good after Corn Belt, North Coast and 3-days at the fair - Will you pass on FANS?  I do not mean that badly - I would - I completely destroy myself in a 24 hour race ... If I was on the team, I would find a nice trail 100 to run instead.

bliss24

I need to make good choices the next 30 days to have a chance for the US 24 hour team - Nice thing is FANS is the last race, so you will know what you need to do ...

My question - If your distance is still good after Corn Belt, North Coast and 3-days at the fair - Will you pass on FANS?  I do not mean that badly - I would - I completely destroy myself in a 24 hour race ... If I was on the team, I would find a nice trail 100 to run instead.

WG - The walk/run strategy is very good, especially for a track.   The only reason I don't do it is because I am slow.  I'm just not a fast-pace runner. But I can run steady, and therefore, I must keep moving to minimize down time.  That will likely include running Mt. Nokomis, at least for as long as I can.  But I definitely agree that walk/run is the way to go on the track. I have never been sorer than after a 24 hour on a track!

DB - I would probably not do FANS if I didn't get bumped (which is, of course, almost a sure thing).  I am not trained well right now and I have a sports medicine conference I'm supposed to go to in San Fran from 5/29-6/2 (but I'm not registered yet), and like you, going for high mileage for 24 hrs really beats me up.  Funny, the only other race I'm considering is Vol State (314 road miles across TN in July).  I really want to do it but would easily nix it to focus on 24-hr training.

I like the pre-race weigh-in, but I'm glad there are no more mandatory ones during the race.  

At 5'1" and 95 pounds, in terms of body habituses (habiti?  Smile), we would be quite a pair on the course.

Northcoast results (and webcast?) will be available during the race at www.northcoast24.org

Also on Facebook via the North Coast 24 group

And twitter CWRCC

Ill be posting on my Facebook as well periodically, and if I take any breaks Ill post in here..hopefully no breaks until late and you can get more typo filled updates like last year at 14-15 hours in.

DoppleBock

Enjoy your race!

I am up north w/o access until Monday.  It is a golfing - fishing - guys weekend - My 1 time a year to blow off the resf of life.

Enjoy the weekend. This race is coming at the perfect time for me. Had my worst day professionally in over 10 years yesterday--nothing like 24 hours of running to sort out my thoughts and clear my head.

DoppleBock

Sorry to hear of the ugly day - I agree that the race will give you meditative time to comtemplate and put things is a proper prespective.  After a few hours the stress and emotions of the issue will fade away and you can explore and hopefully come to peace with it if possible.  I always leave a really long training run with a lot of peace and a clear understanding of what I am going to do about problems. 

Enjoy the weekend. This race is coming at the perfect time for me. Had my worst day professionally in over 10 years yesterday--nothing like 24 hours of running to sort out my thoughts and clear my head.

I read today that Jenn Shelton and Dave James are late entries to NC24.

Not sure what their PRs for 24 are but I imagine they'll make it interesting.

DoppleBock

Dave has run at least 2 -

Year #1 - Ran 13:06 for 100 and then fizzled out quickly

Year #2 - Ran about 100 slower for 100 ~ Right where I would coach him to be and then fizzled out.

We will see if he can connect on this swing - He has the ability to.  The only thing I wonder about is he loves to take it to the race - In 100s with a definate finish line - You bring it and try and control it.  In a 24 ... eventually the race is taking it to you, you stop being the one in control and just deal with what the race is dictating you have to do to keep moving.  This is a pretty big mental shift. 

I read today that Jenn Shelton and Dave James are late entries to NC24.

Not sure what their PRs for 24 are but I imagine they'll make it interesting.

DoppleBock

Jen - Wow that could get interesting - She has all the pieces to hit the Grand Slam.

DoppleBock

I did figure with the races really close to the qualification period end - We will see a lot of last minute entries into FANS also.