Ultra Runners

Leadville (Read 1219 times)

Purdey

Self anointed title

Anyone running this year?

I know that DB, A1 and WG are planning it for 2011.  Anyone going to join them.

I know very little about Leadville.  What I do know:  it is high and you cannot train for altitude in England.... 

Details for this year's race:

Leadville Trail 100-Mile Run, August 21-22, 2010
    Must be 21 years of age, $250 until January 31, $295 until May 31, $350 thereafter (if entries are still available), entries close July 30

I am presuming that 2011 will be a similar date, and entry fees will escalate in a similar manner.

I am giving it serious consideration.  It is possible to get cheap (ish) flights from the UK to Denver Intl Airport (I presume this is the airport of choice) as long as you book the flights early enough - therefore I will need to get wifely permissions sorted out early.  And start saving.

How long before the race should I aim to arrive to get some sort of acclimatisation going?

Any tips on cheap (but decent) accommodation?

I really don't know why I'm considering this - it is soooooooooo unlikely that Mrs Purdey will agree to this.

Kalsarikännit

I am no expert on this (but an expert on everything else), however I have done a number of runs at altitude and have read that you either want to get to high altitude weeks before hand to acclimate or immediately before the race.  I always did about two days, only because that was the soonest I could arrive.  This turns out to be bad, because the first step in the process in preparing for an increase in red blood cells is losing plasma volume.

I have always taken baby aspirin leading up to the really high stuff.  There is only so much you can do.  You can always cough up for a $3000 altitude tent. 

Turns out A1 is doing it this year.  It would still be fun to see a Purdey/DB/A1 showdown in 2011.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Purdey

Self anointed title

It would still be fun to see a Purdey/DB/A1 showdown in 2011.

DB and A1 would kick my arse.

But it would be fun to run such a beautiful race.

Kalsarikännit

How about a Purdey/WG showdown? 

Purdey

Self anointed title

How about a Purdey/WG showdown? 

WG would kick my arse too.

And you know it!

Kalsarikännit

You are full of it.  I wouldn't come close.

Tell Mrs. Purdey that Colorado is beautiful in August.

Purdey

Self anointed title

Tell Mrs. Purdey that Colorado is beautiful in August.

That is part of the problem.  We definitely couldn't afford for her to travel as well, plus she would need to look after the children..... if Mrs Purdey were able to come too I wouldn't have a drama with getting acceptance.

The King of Beasts

I will be running the race this year.

The Leadville Hostel is a great place to stay, you will share a room with others but it is only $23 a night, they serve breakfast for $5 and dinner for 10. It is Very clean. Stay a week and you get a night free. (my brother thruHiked the AT and has been to a lot of hostels and saif that it was the best one he has ever seen)

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

I've also heard nothing but good things about the Leadville Hostel.  A friend of mine stayed there for the 6-8 weekends before the race last year and she loved it.  Their LT100 runner's finishing rate is over 90% too.  You could also camp on forest service land in the area, for free. 

I've heard a lot of conflicting info on acclimatizing.  Not sure what's correct.  Some say any is better than none, others say come very early or the day before.  For most, their vacation time, not current high altitude physiology research, dictates how much they can do. 

Denver (DIA) is the place you'll want to fly to.  There aren't any other major airports anywhere close to Leadville. It's about a 2-2.5 hour drive from DIA to Leadville.  There's no public transit that I know of between the two, so you'll have to rent a car.

It's a fun race.  The course isn't as tough as they make it out to be.  There's a LOT of road... forest service dirt roads and some paved roads.  The major problem for flatlanders is the altitude (that combined with the fairly aggressive outbound cutoffs makes it hard).  There are two major climbs, and since it's out and back, you do each twice.  Sugarloaf/Powerline isn't too bad, but Hope Pass is rather large and the south side (uphill inbound) is pretty steep. 

Dana's pacing guide is excellent for those looking to finish within the cutoff:

http://www.dclundell.net/running/info/train100.html

I've run Leadville, paced and crewed it, and I live in Colorado, so if you have any questions, I'd be glad to try to assist.

- Chris

Purdey

Self anointed title

Chris

Very useful, many thanks.

I'm sure I will have more questions nearer the time, assuming I get the correct permissions.  (This is not looking good after last night's arguments)

DoppleBock

Make sure you scrape a few extra dollars together for a few pints ...

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Purdey

Self anointed title

already in the budget.

Purdey

Self anointed title

Dana's pacing guide is excellent for those looking to finish within the cutoff:

http://www.dclundell.net/running/info/train100.html

That is brilliant.

Make sure you scrape a few extra dollars together for a few pints ...

If you guys come all the way out here from England and Wisconsin, the pints are on me. 

Purdey

Self anointed title

If you guys come all the way out here from England and Wisconsin, the pints are on me. 

Quoted so that you can't take it back!