Ultra Runners

Things to bring on a summer ultra with little aid (Read 255 times)

Carl A

I am getting ready for my first long ultra (about 68 miles) on 8/11 in Pennsylvania. It's going to be a low-key rail-trail run with minimal aid (one midway aid station and about four possible convenience store stops). The course goes along numerous streams. I have a clear idea of what I need to do to train, but I am looking for suggestions for what to bring along. So far, I am planning to try out a bunch of stuff on my weekend long runs: Food: Energy drink powder Two water bottles with hand straps and some kind of filter, or purifying tablets Salt Ziplocked snacks: Oreos, M&Ms, Gu Gear: Shoes, shorts (of course) Sunscreen/bug repellent packet Gaiters Trash bag or lightweight poncho Pepper spray (to defend against the area's many unleashed dogs) Blister kit - moleskin, tape, safety pin and matches Bodyglide TP Some cash for the c-stores Midway drop bag: Spare shoes, socks, clothes, raingear Food - PBJ, chips, animal crackers, canned soup Can opener Ziplocked snack refills Light and batteries Gatorade Please send me any suggestions of things that have worked for you. I am helping to organize this run, so I would also like to send out a good list to other participants later in the summer. Thanks! Carl

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

Wasatch Speedgoat

Hi Carl.... With a minimal aid 100K (or thereabouts) I would have at least 2 bottles and more likely my Camelback with it's 3 liter bladder filled with what I like to use (Sustained Energy). In that I would have my electrolyte powder mixed in with a backup of some electrolyte caps in case of cramping. This is after all, PA in August! I generally don't eat much food, especially when it's hot, but people will like salty things. Soup is good unless it 100 degrees out ;-) But really if you are planning on having an aid station, maybe some pre-made PB&J and Turkey and cheese sandwiches at the midway. Another biggie is cold Coke and/or Mountain Dew. Certainly cookies, chips, pretzels, etc. Candy will probably get melted in the heat, but if in a cooler with ice, they'd be fine. Gear, I'd have my usual shorts and top...shoes, a change of socks. I don't wear gaiters and if you think it'll run into the nighttime, a flashlight, preferable an LED that lasts a long time so you don't have to change batteries. A rain jacket is good....maybe a hat. I could go on and on...but it's different for every event. What you are suggesting all looks good. I generally travel light and don't eat much, even in a 100 miler. Good luck, Steve

Life is short, play hard!

Carl A

Thank you, Steve. I really appreciate how willing you are to share your experience. Carl

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

Wasatch Speedgoat

Anytime....if you ever have any questions, please ask. I've learned a lot in my 12 years of ultrarunning Smile

Life is short, play hard!