Ultra Runners

Disappointed (Read 588 times)

KvnJns

at the lack of 100 mile Ultras in  Michigan. The only one that I am aware of is "Run Woodstock".

We have such an awesome north country trail system, it seems that there would be something up in northern Michigan as well. I am looking forward to running the North Country 50 miler in August but next year I would like to make an attempt at my first 100. Not sure if I really want to do "Run Woodstock" or not. I know that I would like to find something that is manageable for a first 100 and not farther than a 6 hr drive.

Kevin

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

There is a 100 in Wisconsin in May. 

A 100 in Northern Ohio in the May time-frame.

Look at this thread - found some not as well known races:

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/ultra/forum/d099955996294631ac89f4bff84155c2

• Black Canyon 100k
      • RRR
      • Zane Grey 100k
      • High Lonesome 100
      • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
      • The Bear 100
      • Javelina Jundred (?)
      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

KvnJns

Indy: start one Smile

I've thought about this a time or two Trent. If I ever get the notion I may lean on you a little but I wouldn't bet on it. Curious about how you came about the idea for the Monkey? Is it really time consuming?

I am thinking about organizing an informal Fat Ass style  50K this July for myself and about a dozen friends that are running the North Country 50 miler in Aug.

Kevin

KvnJns

Thanks Hooiser. 

A friend  just mentioned the Mohican 100 to me today. It's only a 4 1/2 hr drive too. I mention this because Srlopez spoke of it in that thread. That could be my first 100.

Kevin

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Details about how I started Monkey.

It does take a load of time, but is personally very rewarding.  Most of the effort is spent in the final weeks before the race.

KvnJns

Details about how I started Monkey.

It does take a load of time, but is personally very rewarding.  Most of the effort is spent in the final weeks before the race.

WOW, great story. I will need to give this some thought, serious thought before I jump into something like RD. How did this get off topic. I said I wanted to run a 100 not direct a 100.

Thanks Trent and great job.

Kevin

Ozark 100 in Missouri too. Longer drive than 6 hours though.

Superior Sawtooth 100 up north in the hinterlands.  Says it starts in Two Harbors...but it doesn't say what state. Smile

xor

I know someone who, if you chose to create a 100 (or maybe even a 50) in North Dakota, might explode from excitement.

Which has nothing to do with the mitten state, but I thought I'd say it.  At least Michigan has some ultras.

DoppleBock

KM100M / 100K - WI - June

Toscobia - WI - 150 miles December

Arrowhead - MN - 135 miles January

Superior - (2 Harbors) - MN - September

Zumbro - MN - April

WI - 24hour - Milwaukee - September

MN - 24 hour - Minneapolis - June

A few more nice 50M

100K - Madison - April 

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

MN

Ozark 100 in Missouri too. Longer drive than 6 hours though.

Superior Sawtooth 100 up north in the hinterlands.  Says it starts in Two Harbors...but it doesn't say what state. Smile

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Kalsarikännit

OH MY GOD! We need an ultra in North Dakota! How is there not one in the entire state? Not ne of the three marathons even sound fun.

I like those trails around Pinkney where Run Woodstock is held. I have also heard good things about Mohican. I think they would both make for good firsts. Superior Sawtooth might be a little (or a lot) rough.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Tim Hardy

Burning River 100 1st weekend in AUG in NE Ohio as well. Haven't got sny mid-west Ultra experince yet, but heard this one and Mohican are very good.

KM and Superior Sawtooth both sound really challenging but really good too.

Tim

since I have family up north, and I grew up playying in the parks where Burning River is, if I ever am able to run a 100, that would be it. the NC24 will be a bit of a test. At least I will know if Im capable of anything close to 100 miles.

I hear you.  We frequent the keweenah Penisula during the summer since we have family up there.  I would definitely be in for a 50 if not a 100 in the UP.  To me, it is the most remote place in the midwest, and with roads that run for miles along lake superior, you could probably plan a 50 that runs 80% along the lake.  The only negative is that you want to jump in...

at the lack of 100 mile Ultras in  Michigan. The only one that I am aware of is "Run Woodstock".

We have such an awesome north country trail system, it seems that there would be something up in northern Michigan as well. I am looking forward to running the North Country 50 miler in August but next year I would like to make an attempt at my first 100. Not sure if I really want to do "Run Woodstock" or not. I know that I would like to find something that is manageable for a first 100 and not farther than a 6 hr drive.