Ultra Runners

Ice Age 50M (Read 719 times)

jjameson

DB was right on the mark:  Bitter in 6:03

Found a photo of the leaderboard - Click

Top 2 punch ticket to Western States?

I didn't take good notes on the RAers but Joldfather finished 4Th overall female in the 50k, low five hours, very impressive! WG finished in 9 something I think, not bad for not racing! No idea on hoosierdaddy, I didn't see him (well at least recognize him). Perfesser did well but don't know the time. I slogged in a 7:27 for the 50 mile (posted times are about three minutes faster than my watch). Leaders kicked ass today! I'll post some kind of even more illegible race report later....

Kalsarikännit

I am having beers with joldfather and PaulyGram. Had some drinks earlier with Perfesser and great, great kolsch by Flatfooter. He did an amazing job, btw. The big boys came by, and ff was right up there with some hot shots. I ran into ultracassie on the course, but didn't get to have a beer with her after the race. Joldfather was great, she got second in her 10 year age group. PaulyGram ended up running 22 miles in support of runners. I got second in my age group. It wasn't fast, it wasn't pretty, but I was running up hills in the 40's, so I guess things are progressing, and that is all I could hope for.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

jjameson

7:30 is really hard on that course.  Have to be running nearly everything and at a decent pace.

DoppleBock

That is a decent time for the 50 - By slogged do you mean that you slowed down and shuffled in or that you are just disappointed that you did not run faster?

I see our local run group memeber Alissa Domrow was 5th lady

I am guessing with the fast times - Overall the course and weather was pretty good?

I didn't take good notes on the RAers but Joldfather finished 4Th overall female in the 50k, low five hours, very impressive! WG finished in 9 something I think, not bad for not racing! No idea on hoosierdaddy, I didn't see him (well at least recognize him). Perfesser did well but don't know the time. I slogged in a 7:27 for the 50 mile (posted times are about three minutes faster than my watch). Leaders kicked ass today! I'll post some kind of even more illegible race report later....

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

I see WG beat Cassie Smile

Kalsarikännit

What? You didn't think I would? Where did you find results?

DoppleBock

http://www.onlineraceresults.com/

What? You didn't think I would? Where did you find results?

That is a decent time for the 50 - By slogged do you mean that you slowed down and shuffled in or that you are just disappointed that you did not run faster?

I see our local run group memeber Alissa Domrow was 5th lady

I am guessing with the fast times - Overall the course and weather was pretty good?

I was doing good until about 5 hours in when I got really nauseated and couldn't get down any more gels or anything sweet the rest of the race.  So yeah, I slowed down a lot the last 15 miles.  It kind of felt like heat exhaustion and just taking off the shirt helped a little. Maybe it was because I was too fast the first half but I really don't feel like that is right.

The course was in great shape, temps were okay, some people complained about the humidity and it seemed like it got really warm for a couple of hours.  Obviously it didn't affect the leaders, but even though there were probably 5 people within a mile of me at mile 40, no one passed me even though I slowed down pretty considerably so my issues were not isolated either. 

Imminent Catastrophe

Cassie is going too???

Why did I not sign up.  Sigh.

Yep, you really screwed up. It was awesome, sorry you missed that.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

I'll apologize in advance for the lack of description of the course in my race report.  It's just that I've ran these trails a lot, and when I was racing it I wasn't really enjoying the scenery much, just focused on racing.  Not that the scenery isn't great and just being out there is amazing, just that it was not what I was focused on.  Here goes, so

Going into the race I was pretty worried about some nagging IT band/hip flexor problems I had been having for several weeks.  I had hoped it would go away during taper, but even race morning it was tight.  It was about 60 degrees at the start, overcast and 80% humidity.  As usual, 20-30 runners took off way ahead of me, but I focused on staying slow trying to go my own pace.  Even so, my GPS was saying I was going 7:40 pace after 2 miles so I slowed down even more.  The first 10 miles were at 8 minute pace and felt easy.  Ran along side Robert Wehner, RD of the crusty 50K for a while and chatted about who the winners would be past races, etc.  Eventually he slowed down a little and I continued on.  IT Band had been a little tight for the first miles but had loosened by mile 15.  Those first 15 miles of the course are pretty easy on the legs, hills are small not so frequent, very few rocks and roots and I felt like to not take advantage of this easy part of the course would be a mistake.

Saw the leaders coming back from the first turnaround around mile 20, (they were at mile 24 or so).  At that point Zach was only 30 seconds ahead but was clearly the pace setter.  Saw the female leaders were still at least half a mile ahead of me at the turn around as well.  Coming back from the turnaround was fun because I got to start seeing folks I knew like Robert, WG, and lots of folks from the NLUR running club.  Through mile 30 I felt good, a little fatigued but not anything unexpected 30 miles into a 50 mile race.  After that I did start to back of the pace just a little bit too be safe.  I was also starting to have problems fueling.  I followed behind the female winner for a good 3 miles or so before passing her.  I thought she was fading at the time, but that turned out to be far from the case. 

Passed through confusion corner and got ready for the remaining relentless hills for the next of the race.  Came up on the 2nd place female and ran with her the next 3 miles  Around mile 36 I had to stop and pee, and the female winner, 2nd place female and another guy passed me.  Arrived at horseriders feeling like absolute crap, could not eat or even drink heed/pop just water.  Dumped my handheld and kept going.  My stomach was starting to revolt and started walking more uphills than I would have liked.  It was a horrible feeling knowing your finishing goal keeps slipping away every mile you run slower.  Somewhere after that I saw Zach blazing past, looking like it was a jog on the track.  The 2nd place guy at least 2 minutes behind maybe more.  At the turnaround I had to stop and use the facilities which cost me almost 3 minutes.  Tried to eat a PB&J sandwhich but couldn't get that down.  It stuck in my mouth until I hit horseriders again.  My worst patch was between 40-45, my right hamstring was cramping if I ran for more than 2-3 minutes straight so I had to walk flats even when I shouldn't have.  Finally I started to think all of this felt like heat exhaustion and took my shirt off to attempt to cool.  Maybe it was placebo, but I really felt like that helped a little.

When I hit bluff road and saw the sign for 47.6 (my watch said 46 something) I slammed a couple of mountain dews and some water.  At that point I thought maybe I still could hit under 7:30.  I had stopped looking at the time on my watch so I honestly thought I was going to finish within seconds of 7:30, and more likely 7:30:XX than 7:29:XX.  I was surprised that I could start to run longer without cramping (did the mdew kick in that fast?) but managed to make my last 5 miles faster than the previous 5.  Saw PaulyGram probably a quarter mile from the finish.  He yelled last hill and I tried to kick it in even more.  Of course he was lying (at least there was another incline I would call a hill at that point) but I could hear the finish and nothing was going to slow me down.

Ran in hard and kept straining to see the clock.  Finally saw it said 7:27, crossed the mat and almost passed out.  Spent 30 minutes trying to get under control, legs cramping, dizziness (was seeing stars for a few minutes), nausea, and just couldn't imagine feeling normal again.  Finally started to feel human again within about 40 minutes or so, but wow I cannot believe how trashed I was after the race.  Way worse than last year.

MTA:

As usual the race was well organized, and all of the volunteers at the aid stations were amazing! Every time I ran into the aid station the volunteers were asking what they could get me and made me feel like I had my own personal crew there!

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

I stopped at the 30 mile AS.  Was there in about 5h.  Can't explain, really, but I had to stop.  Well supported race and very nice trail.  Nice to meet Perfesser and see WG, again.

• Black Canyon 100k
                            • RRR
                            • Zane Grey 100k
                            • High Lonesome 100
                            • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                            • The Bear 100
                            • Javelina Jundred (?)
                            DoppleBock

HoosierDaddy and Flatfooter - You guys were rocking the course - Very Agressive running ~ 8 minute mile pace is 6 hour 40 minute 50 mile.  I am not sure I could break 7 hours at Ice Age (Ever)

Kalsarikännit

Sorry that you had to stop, Hoosier. I know you have some big races on your schedule, so I hope this was a good decision that keeps you uninjured and able to run well at your next long race.