Ultra Runners

Ice Age 50M (Read 719 times)

xor

They have it posted on the website.  What turned me off about the NF course was what appeared to be a lot of out and backs and directions that needed to be followed.  Maybe I am reading too much into it, but it strikes me as very confusing.  Also, I heard last year hunters removed some of the course direction signs resulting in a lot of runners getting rerouted. 

It was easy to follow and I had no issues with hunters/vandals and messed up signs.

Although, well, that's an issue with any race.  Boo on NF for doing this during hunting season.

(disclosure: I am totally NOT a NF shill.  In fact, they burned a whole lot of bridges in the PNW, many bridges with personal friends, regarding the now-defunct PNW entry in the series.  I did like NF Madison, though, and just brought it up to add to the comparison.  I thought the course was fast, mostly.)

DoppleBock

It was a made up name to try and name a beer that you could make for DWD - Just in fun.  I know the right thing to do is the 50k ~  

If I do it, it will be the 50K.  I read some of the DWD race reports and no way do I want to run 50 miles on that course in 80+ degree temps.  This won't be a goal race for me either, so I will most likely be midpack.  I still have to sign up, but I'm trying to get a sitter for the kids so my wife can run too and join in the post race festivities.  If I can't then I'll join you the night before.  Hope to know for sure in the next couple days.

Do you mean Thornbush porter?  If not, is it an american brown ale style or british?  I can make a Moosedrool clone, but if I can't taste it or find a recipe it's hard to make.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

I found the DWD course hard to follow as often there was the 1/2M, Marathon and 10k on same course with different turns - Better pay attention.

They have it posted on the website.  What turned me off about the NF course was what appeared to be a lot of out and backs and directions that needed to be followed.  Maybe I am reading too much into it, but it strikes me as very confusing.  Also, I heard last year hunters removed some of the course direction signs resulting in a lot of runners getting rerouted. 

xor

I found the DWD course hard to follow as often there was the 1/2M, Marathon and 10k on same course with different turns - Better pay attention.

Yeah this is a problem at NF.  On Saturday, there's the 50m, 50k, and marathon.  On Sunday, there's a half, 10k, and maybe something else.  And the trails will be marked for ALL these events on both days.  Luckily, the 50m/50k/marathon have different start times... but you still have to really pay attention and not just blindly follow the person in front of you.  But this is good advice always, of course.

So says the guy who led 20-30 people way way way off course at Grasslands one year.  Ooops.

Anyway, at NF, they try to make things clearer by having different colored ribbons for different races.  On common parts of the course, you might see 4+ different colored ribbons waving around.  I thought this would be confusing, but it wasn't.  It was juuuust enough to ensure that I kept my head in the game.

Kalsarikännit

Dear God.  NF allows pacers from mile 28.3.  The hand-holding continues to grow.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

DoppleBock

No that is magenta = 50k ... Pink is the 50M and hot pink is the marathon, Rose in the 1/2M and Fuchsia is the 10k

It can't get much easier than that

But I am color blind

Anyway, at NF, they try to make things clearer by having different colored ribbons for different races.  On common parts of the course, you might see 4+ different colored ribbons waving around.  I thought this would be confusing, but it wasn't.  It was juuuust enough to ensure that I kept my head in the game.

xor

Dear God.  NF allows pacers from mile 28.3.  The hand-holding continues to grow.

Heh.

I told you my story of the dude who ran a 50k with a pacer.  Who muled his supplies AND ran ahead to the aid stations to fill up dude's bottles.  AND who yelled at dude to run faster and tried to box me out when I got close.

I had to beat that dude.

I did.

I paid the next day.

(back to North Face. The shirt I got for North Face Madison is super cool.  It is a high quality tech shirt with a very subtle/simple North Face Endurance Challenge circle on the sleeve. No other ads. My current favorite shirt.  Nope. Still not shilling NF)

Kalsarikännit

There was a lady at IA50 this weekend that beat me, but should have whooped my ass.  I made up a ton of time on her at all the aid stations because she had her husband there to help.  What to eat, digging out the real food, talking about how she is feeling...  I grabbed a cup of Mountain Dew (white trash rocket fuel!) and was out.  Sometimes having help isn't much help.

DoppleBock

Yes - True dat

I usually do not allow anyone to crew for me but my DW - I told her she could hand off to WG if she needed a break.

I am high maintenance and require perfect timing.

The whole goal is not to have to break stride ever.  It's fine to walk through your aide area to consume calories and a quick communication on how you can service me the next lap.  There are only 3 things I consider OK to stop moving for:  1)  Changing shoes and socks 2) Bathroom 3)  Stretching (God I pray I do not need to)

WG - If I want Pepto - I mean the whole stinking bottle! Smile

Kalsarikännit

WG - If I want Pepto - I mean the whole stinking bottle! Smile

Not an itty-bitty plastic top full?

How do you manage those 2.42 mi loops?  Run after and along side to hand stuff off, or are you pretty set with knowing what you will want on the next loop?  You guys make a big thing of Endurox or a bottle at a time?

DoppleBock

You can receive aide in all of tent city. 

We make up the endurox with love - 1 bottle at a time.  I will have a 32 ounce empty gatorade bottle with 3 lines on it for small medium and large.  But it will always be 2 level scoops of endurox.  Base plan is for 2 laps with handheld with a gel in pocket then a lap where I slam endurox and give bottle back.

I will have orange and green endurox. 

Once in a while I will want a sandwhich (1/2 of one) of ham and cheese or PB&J.  Basically take 1 piece of break make sandwhich then squish it up and put in a snack bag into the pouch of handheld.

Bananas - Please peel it - Do not squish it or put it in the pocket of handheld.

S-caps

Basically as I will communicate each lap what I want next lap.  We will have a card table that said stuff can be set onto.

PS - You can be in charge of blister care ... Smile

Kalsarikännit

Bananas - Do not put it in the pocket of handheld.

I think I got the important part.

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Good grief, DB ... such a prima donna! Wink

(And I thought I was bad with my crew restrictions - no crew, but otherwise-bored volunteers/by-standers to refill water bottles accepted)

Liz

pace sera, sera

xor

But that's not a banana in my pocket.

Kalsarikännit

But that's not a banana in my pocket.

How did I not catch that?  Sheesh.

This is why we let you stay around.