Ultra Runners

Grand Slam (Read 429 times)

Kalsarikännit

Sorry, this is just a copy of something that was posted on ultralist, but I thought it was worth sharing...

Noticed that Neal Gorman from D.C. is quietly having an excellent Slam.
    >  To date he's done:
    >
    > Western States: 18:14:00
    > Vermont: 16:33:11
    > Leadville: 18:47:54
    >
    > That is a cumulative time of 53:35:05, the current Grand Slam record (with
    > Vermont) is 75:07:00 so Neal need to go better than 21:35:55 at Wasatch to
    > break the record. Tall order, but he went 22:44:05 last year so he knows
    > the course at least. Should be very interesting.
    >
    > For the record, the current record holder, Joe Kulak '03 went:
    > Western States: 18:14:59
    > Vermont: 14:55:26
    > Leadville: 20:03:25
    > Wasatch: 21:53:10

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

I saw that, interested in seeing how he does.  I think it's going to be an effort for him to make that 21:35, but then again, what 100 isn't an effort?

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I saw this too. Quite impressive, particularly coming out of DC.

Go Neal!
          Wowee wow.

~Sara
          It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

You'll ruin your knees!

Very interesting dilemma...

Go for the slam record... an effort which could easily result in a DNF for someone going out too fast on a course like Wasatch.  This when a DNF will not only cost you the record, but the slam as well!  Wow!  More than an hour off last year's race is certainly possible, but with such a short recovery from Leadville AND two other hunnerds on the body this summer makes this a very tall order.  Big kuods if he gets the record, or anywhere close, for that matter...

I have a buddy still in Slam contention.  He finished 2nd in the M6 age group at Leadville this year... just missed the M6 AG record (a minute or less short, I believe) a couple of years back when he finished sub 25, went blind from the altitude/dehydration/max effort and subsequently missed the award ceremonies as he was in the ER... went on to full recovery within a few hours. 

I also have buddies in the 'slammer.

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Very interesting dilemma...

Go for the slam record... an effort which could easily result in a DNF for someone going out too fast on a course like Wasatch. 

I think you gotta go for it.  He could probably bonk, recover, and walk it home and still get slam.  Easy to from the sidelines Smile

• Black Canyon 100k
              • RRR
              • Zane Grey 100k
              • High Lonesome 100
              • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
              • The Bear 100
              • Javelina Jundred (?)

and done...

Congratulations to Neal Gorman #193 for breaking the Grand Slam record with a Wasatch 100 finish time of 21 hours and 19 minutes. #W100

~Sara
                It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

The King of Beasts

and done...

Congratulations to Neal Gorman #193 for breaking the Grand Slam record with a Wasatch 100 finish time of 21 hours and 19 minutes. #W100

sweet good grief, that is incredible.

truly Amazing.

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

and done...

Coming from DC, doubly incredible.

Eight ball

Simply awesome!

Run to Win
                      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

You'll ruin your knees!

A buddy of mine was able to finish the Grand Slam and he put a video out on Youtube of some of his adventure during Wasatch, the final of the 4x100's.  Watch until the end and see the raw emotion... happens to me every time!  No machismo, no affront, no filter... it's all gone, the runner is used up... amazing, makes me weepy to watch!  In addition, there are some pictures and an interview posted on another running buddy's blog

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Dang!

Can you please remind me how to get on the Ultralist?  I stopped a year or so ago - too overwhelming - but would like to sign up again.

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Carl A

Dang!

Can you please remind me how to get on the Ultralist?  I stopped a year or so ago - too overwhelming - but would like to sign up again.

Leslie,

Try using this link:

http://listserv.dartmouth.edu/scripts/wa.exe?A0=ULTRA

Because the constant e-mails can get annoying (even in digest mode), I use this link to browse through the online archives.

If my link doesn't work at first for you, try chopping off the end of the address to one of the backslashes. You should be able to sign up and log on from there.

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

Carl A

I forgot to mention that I've set the list to "nomail," which is why I just browse the archives and don't get a ton of e-mails.

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.