Ultra Runners

Looking for advice on purchase of good sled harness (Read 222 times)

sisubaby

Hi,

I have completed several winter ultras...however none pulling a sled...I need advice on sled harnesses....afordable and comfortable and durable are the qualities I am looking for.....

any input would be great...I have seen types that are belt type and types that are more over the shoulder...

thoughts would be great.

What race are you training for that needs a sled?  

I am throwing my hat in for the Susitna 100.  I will be using a belt harness that goes with the kids Chariot ski configuration.  Not sure how it will hold up over all those miles but It is all I have.  I am working on designing the sled now.  Can't imagine pulling a regular sled that far but that may be what I end up doing.  I know from experience that the belt harness on the chariot is comfortable for short distances with greater weight.  

There is a workshop/informational meeting coming up for the Susitna 100 in October (have to check website for details) in Anchorage and there will be veteran racers on hand to ask exactly this sort of question.  If your not around I could get some info. for you.

sisubaby

I am training for the tuscobia 75 mile and arrowhead 135....I have decided to make my own, went shopping yesterday, probably come up with a couple different models....and see which one is best....

THere is quite a bit of usefull information on the arrowhead 135 forum websites as well....I know a couple people that have done it, but I guess I want to do it myself if you know what I mean....Half of the fun is trying to figure it out.

www.skipulk.com

I am currently building my own pulk (for these above mentioned races) I am messing around with the harness part right now as well, So far I have bought a padded tool belt from Home depot and am having a second webbing stiched into it for added strength. If that does not work I will buy one from Skipulk.