Jeff F

Free Beer

A portend of things to come I hope.

WTG WG!

WooHoo!

muppy

Congrats WG, that's simply amazing!

bhearn

... and all of a sudden there are way fewer people on the course, as all events but the 6-day are over for awards purposes.

Oddly the 24-hour category looks not to have been too competitive (winner ran 113); several of the other runners beat that in their 24-hour splits.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

That doesn't matter for awards -- you have to finish by today. Jen has won it.

WooHoo!  Congratulations Jen!

steph  

AT-runner

Tim

Awesome job!.  I saw a woman walking backwards yesterday on the Ultracast (when it was working).  Wonder if that was her.  Unbelievavle recovery from what early reports said.  She's one tough cookie.

Wonder if Jon Olsen posted that 200.51 and thought he was safe.  Kelly Agnew said (on FB) that he was in a lot of pain the last 30 miles but knew what his target was.

Congratulations WG, Lace_up, Perfesser, Mrs. Perfesser and to all the runners.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Kalsarikännit

Not a race report, but something. I cross posted this elsewhere.

From the start of the race, the miles started unfolding pretty slowly, but my goal was just to go all 48, and I had given myself a conservative mileage goal. The initial running miles seemed to be constantly interrupted by having to peel off layers as it became pretty toasty, grabbing gu that I forgot, refilling Gatorade and water bottles, filling them with ice, etc, general screwing around. I was pretty surprised how slow my 15 mile split was when I finally looked. I was already in bad shape because my glutes and hammies were brutally cramped, with the area where they meet feeling like a fist that is tightly clenched. I thought they were going to eventually loosen as the miles grew. They didn't. I went into the first aid tent to get a topical something or other. They didn't have it, but a guy getting blisters fixed had some, so I sat around and waited for him to lead me to his tent for it. After I applied it, I put in a few more miles that were so painful that I had tears in my eyes. All the tightness went away and I was left with the heart of the problem. The piriformis felt like there was a knife driving into it. I couldn't swing my leg forward. I used to have this problem, THREE YEARS AGO. I had a hard time walking, but I tried. When I did small spurts I running, I paid for it in a slow walk. So, I started 90% walking with such purpose and focus that I am blowing by the six day and 72 hour runners that are in the ultrashuffle. This started around the 22 mile mark and things stayed that way for the rest of the race.

Yes, quite pathetically, I walked my way to a win. My splits were embarrassing and terrible. I went 100 miles a FULL TEN HOURS slower than the fixed time race I ran down here last year. Let me repeat that. Ten damn hours slower. Plus I was having to stop all the time to change shoes and get my blisters fixed. My body and feet are destroyed. I have large blisters on the undersides of my feet. About the 48 hours and the walking...All the women and men are flying by me, lapping me repeatedly. Then they have to go nap for 2-4+ hours in the evening and at night. I just keep moving as fast as I can. I chip away at their miles and manage to get ahead of many of them. I decide I'm going to win that way. Over and over, when they can't go on, I stay out there and make them pay. Other than peeing, changing shoes and getting the feet fixed, over the course of 48 hours I never sat down for the sake of sitting, or to get off my feet. I tried to nap on the first night. I thought it was necessary to help me later. I gave myself 15 minutes, but my legs cramped so badly that I couldn't sleep so I just got back up and kept going. The second night I didn't have this chance because at thirty-four hours, three women were relentlessly on my ass. I got the impression that one or two thought they could win and that made me very, very angry. Forty-two hours into the race I finally broke the closest one. Or she broke. I tried to lay down for a hour then, but I was experiencing some of the worst leg cramps of my life. Might as well try to get more miles, right?

I was in an unbelievable amount of pain this race. It was bad. My legs and feet...my God. It was easy to go on, though. My goal wasn't mileage based, so there was no reason to not go on. I have not slept since six a.m. Monday. I can't fall asleep now. It may be the ugliest win in the history of racing. It wasn't beautiful running, it was small, slow, relentless picking. I want to say that I wanted the win, but it didn't feel like that. Early on I told myself that it was mine and got a little crazed at the idea of someone taking it from me. It was winning ugly for sure. I'm not proud of the numbers I put up, but I'm proud of how I stayed out there for all 48 hours when all the other tough men and women couldn't.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

I decide I'm going to win  I stay out there and make them pay. I wanted the win, I'm proud of how I stayed out there for all 48 hours when all the other tough men and women couldn't.

You are a fucking badass. The end. Awesome.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

bhearn

Damn!!!!!

Kalsarikännit

Now that I'm done being a drama queen, let me bring up the best part. The people there were amazing. I know we always say that about ultras, but here it was especially cool. I got to meet a bunch of people who's names I recognized from the ultralist.

Juli Aistars still remains my favorite, most inspirational runner ever. I always feel really honored when I get to be with her. She set a new age group 48 hour WR while getting third in the 72 hour.

Ray K should come with a warning. He is a character, to say the least. I laughed a bunch.

Mike Melton, Chisholm Dupree.  I enjoyed their company.

Perfesser did his mileage and left (but I saw him later).  He (and his wife) are so nice. Plus he was running like a pro.

All the ladies my age. I felt a bond and was excited to see them do well. When they were doing a three day or getting their first 100, I was so excited.

The six day'ers that were six days older than dirt. Good grief. That's tenacity. Also, this morning they were smoking me.

Kouros and crew. The joke we passed around was that every time they talked to each other in Greek it sounded like a massive argument. It's just the way they express themselves, but I laughed.

The Coury's rock. Duh.

All the kids there running we're actually pretty awesome. They ran as they pleased, sometimes walked with new friends, never were in the way. They were fun to watch.

C-R

You are a fucking badass. The end. Awesome.

This.

I just checked the urban dictionary and under HTFU it just says "= Wrigley Girl".

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

AT-runner

Tim

I'm proud of how I stayed out there for all 48 hours when all the other tough men and women couldn't.

You are wrong, WG.  It was not an ugly win it was a gritty determined win.  You out-toughed everyone else and that's what got you to 1st place.  Way to go.  Good luck with the feet.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Sandy-2

You are wrong, WG.  It was not an ugly win it was a gritty determined win.  You out-toughed everyone else and that's what got you to 1st place.  Way to go.  Good luck with the feet.

+1.  Badass indeed.  Congrats.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

Ostrich runner

Lord... Every now and then I get an itch to get reasonably good at this. Then I read something like this. Fuck that noise. You're something else, WG. It's awesome, and you can have it.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

On On

three women were relentlessly on my ass. I got the impression that one or two thought they could win and that made me very, very angry. Forty-two hours into the race I finally broke the closest one. Or she broke.

I'm not proud of the numbers I put up, but I'm proud of how I stayed out there for all 48 hours when all the other tough men and women couldn't.

+1000

Wrigley - Jen  simply amazing.  I wish I was there to see it.  You should be very proud of your numbers.  Again, Amazing!

Kalsarikännit

Rick, I thought of you during the race. When I was moving at the best pace I could, I went by Chisolm Dupree (the 24 the Hard Way RD), and another man. The other man was describing the license plate awards in a very, VERY animated way.

Also, Josh, your 48 hour winner from last year had nice things to say.