Ultra Runners

44-Mile Fueling (Read 361 times)

I running Brew to Brew this weekend, and am having a little bit of trouble coming up with a plan for fueling and hydration.

Here are my thoughts so far:

1. I'll alternate solid food (Clif bars) and gels. This usually helps keep me from getting that sick feeling from taking in too much sugar. I've had that in longer triathlons from taking in too much Gatorade. And, if I drink too much in marathons, it gives me the same problem. I did this exact strategy in a 50K recently, and it worked well. I think I had took in something every 5 miles.

2. I'll alternate sports drink and water every aid station. I'll drink mostly from a hand bottle (not carrying a pack), and just empty what's remaining in the bottle.

Other relevant info:

• Course- Mostly flat (it is Kansas, after all), but the UltraRunning calendar puts the course at a 2 difficulty level.
    • Weather- Current weather forecast is for sun, and highs in the lower 70's. It will likely be windy, around 10 to 15 mph.
    • I will have something of a crew... my wife will be driving along the course.

So, here are my questions:

1. Is that enough to take in for 44 miles, or should I look at taking in more?
    2. Is the every 4 to 5 mile frequency okay? Feels like too much.
    3. What about electrolyte tablets? I've never taken them. I'm worried about sweating a lot and getting behind on electrolytes. What are the best ones? How often should I take them?

Thanks for your help!

You'll ruin your knees!

I believe your thoughts are pretty on the mark.  If it worked for you in the 50K, don't screw with it!  It is really hard to say if it is enough, as we are all an experiment of one!  You may want to see what the race is providing for sports drink.  If they are serving the same thing you used in your 50k, fine, but if it is something you have not used before, consider sticking with water and using electrolyte capsules (drink cola for sugar/calories instead of the sports drink).  I like Succeed's S-Caps.  There is some good reference on electrolytes and swelling/hyponatremia risks HERE - (be sure and review the table at the bottom of the page on that link).   

Flat course? You may want to consider a run/walk strategy... like 25 minutes run, 5 walk, or what is appropriate for you.  Flat means you are not forced to walk... I've seen lots of folks used to running in the mountains totally blow up on a flat course! 

Good luck!

Lynn

MTA: I always try to carry somethig with me that I can eat for quick calories (like clif bar or shot blocks, or trail mix).  Depending on the distance between aid stations, I can get really hungry... even if only 2 or 3 miles out... Choc covered expresso beans are EXCELLENT for this... unless it's hot, then you have to lick them out of the baggie... What?  Like NOT eating them is an option???

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The 42 miler I ran last year, I couldn't handle anything solid, not even gu, after mile 25.  Coke at every aid station and I was fine.  Had a great race and only had a low at mile 18, while I was still on solids.

I had a 45 mile trail and canal run in January, now remember it was very cold, wet, windy and snow so needed a few more calories than normal.

I lived off a mixture of carb gels,and fruit cake for the first 50 km until we were given potato wedges and sausage rolls. At 38 miles I had a peperami and a carb gel and just drank from then on.

In my back pack I always carry pretzels now in case I feel my hands swell (even though I drink Nuun) and eat a handful in the latter part of the race if need be

Jerry
          A runners blog-updated daily

The King of Beasts

The 42 miler I ran last year, I couldn't handle anything solid, not even gu, after mile 25.  Coke at every aid station and I was fine.  Had a great race and only had a low at mile 18, while I was still on solids.

Coke was a little more than fine !

that was one of your better races last year.

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey