Ultra Runners

2012 Western States 100 (Read 537 times)

Kalsarikännit

Well, it is kind of obvious from the graph, but altitude comes into play during that first climb, which is big.  You are up high, climbing right up a ski slope at moderately high altitude.  The killer is right in the middle.  It doesn't look like much, but those big wavy lines in the middle of the race were killers.  I thought the first climb out of the canyon was the toughest climb I have ever done.  Pure super steep switchbacks.  I thought it was harder than Hope Pass at Leadville, but I am reminded that I have only done Leadville from the easier side and the runners there have to do it twice.  

That first climb goes up to Devil's Thumb.  That's where it gets to be 110 degrees.  They have popsicles at the aid station!

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Ahh, so I should have been more specific.  The question was more about altitude as it relates to oxygen tents and all that fun acclimatization.  When/if I do decide to do a 100, I'm pretty sure I don't want to do it at an average elevation of 12,000 feet, but wasn't really sure how something like WS where you go up to ~8500 feet "briefly" would affect you.

On another note, for some reason the idea of running Wasatch really appeals to me as well, but really just tossing around ideas more than seriously considering in the near future.  Something like this will hopefully be my 40th bday present to me.

Kalsarikännit

but wasn't really sure how something like WS where you go up to ~8500 feet "briefly" would affect you.

Stuff is harder but you just deal with it.  I have never heard of anyone doing anything special to acclimate for the brief period.

DoppleBock

Here is how Karl has odds

http://karlmeltzer.com/2012/06/western-states-100-is-back-in-action-and-itll-be-a-heater/

Zach Bitter likes to run out front - I think either he will be top 5 or blow up.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Hardrock scares me a lot.  I want to enter the lottery but almost don't want to be picked. 

• Black Canyon 100k
            • RRR
            • Zane Grey 100k
            • High Lonesome 100
            • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
            • The Bear 100
            • Javelina Jundred (?)
            HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Here is how Karl has odds

http://karlmeltzer.com/2012/06/western-states-100-is-back-in-action-and-itll-be-a-heater/

Zach Bitter likes to run out front - I think either he will be top 5 or blow up.

Mike Wolfe ftw.

• Black Canyon 100k
              • RRR
              • Zane Grey 100k
              • High Lonesome 100
              • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
              • The Bear 100
              • Javelina Jundred (?)

The course photos  are enough to give me the shakes.

Hardrock scares me a lot. 

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

DoppleBock

Hardly - You want to enter the lottery to feel forced to run it you are picked as it is a gift from God and you do not want to insult him!

Enter! 

Hardrock scares me a lot.  I want to enter the lottery but almost don't want to be picked. 

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

jjameson

Doing Hardrock would be cool.  Unfortunately I would have to run a qualifying 100 (I've only done one and it nearly killed me) and the closest qualifying 100 to where I live is Superior Sawtooth, a brute of a course.  Think i'll stay with the 50 milers for now!

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Hardly - You want to enter the lottery to feel forced to run it you are picked as it is a gift from God and you do not want to insult him!

Enter! 

You could win up to 2 nights stay for two at 14000 feet complete with lightning storm, rhabdomyosis, and dehydration.  Why wouldn't someone enter Smile

• Black Canyon 100k
                      • RRR
                      • Zane Grey 100k
                      • High Lonesome 100
                      • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                      • The Bear 100
                      • Javelina Jundred (?)

Kalsarikännit

Running Hardrock almost seems like a waste. All that beautiful scenery and you are gonna spend half the time running at night? Softrock is the way to go. Four days, three nights, a comfortable bed, local brews after that day's running, and the option to go at your own pace and take it all in.

Running Hardrock almost seems like a waste. All that beautiful scenery and you are gonna spend half the time running at night? Softrock is the way to go. Four days, three nights, a comfortable bed, local brews after that day's running, and the option to go at your own pace and take it all in.

Jennifer, I like your style.

Jerry
                          A runners blog-updated daily

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

When are you going to have this all planned out?  I assume you will mark the course in advance, too?

• Black Canyon 100k
                            • RRR
                            • Zane Grey 100k
                            • High Lonesome 100
                            • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                            • The Bear 100
                            • Javelina Jundred (?)

Kalsarikännit

When are you going to have this all planned out?  I assume you will mark the course in advance, too?

I thought I was going to go out and do that this year.  Stuff happened.  I hear people go do Softrock the weekend before Hardrock.  They have some course markings done at that point.  That might not be a good area to get lost.

So, the WSER picks.  I am going to go with the fav's, Wolfe and Greenwood.  I am cheering for Nick Clark and Meghan Arboghast.  Jerry and Purdey, I see there being a strong possibility of a Bragg/Hawker Brit sweep.

Kalsarikännit

Jennifer, I like your style.

Big grin  Thanks, Jerry.  I will save my night running for the Grand Union Canal.