Ultra Runners

3 Peaks Challenge (Read 254 times)

Whilst not strictly a ultrarun thought I would share my adventure I am doing this weekend, well part of it anyway.

A lot of peoples outside the UK will not have heard of the 3 Peaks Challenge but is an endurance "race" in which a group of people have to ascend and descend each of the highest peaks in Scotland Englad and Wales within 24 hours:

Ben Nevis (Scotland) - 1,344 metres (4,409 ft)

Scafell Pike (England) - 978 metres (3,209 ft)

Snowdon (Wales) - 1,085 metres (3,560 ft)

I will be the designated driver and will be driving the team of 8 to and from the mountains and setting up a "base camp" to provide food, drink and encouragement.

However on arriving at my Snowdon, my job as driver will have been done and I will be allowed to cut loose and I will run up Snowdon to meet them at the peak and then run down to start cooking the sausages. The round trip up and down Snowdon will be about 8 miles but it is going to be a gritty, ball breaking 8 miles.....can't wait

Jerry
    A runners blog-updated daily

Carl A

That sounds awesome. Good on you for being the driver, as well. Let us know how it goes!

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

Cooking sausages after a big mountain run... now you guys really now how to do it!!  Sounds awesome, have fun!
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

You really need to run between each peak too Wink

You'll ruin your knees!

I recently finished Feet in the Clouds: A Tale of Fell-Running and Obsession by Richard Askwith and am absolutely ready to try fell running!  I guess it would help if I lived a little further East!  Anyway, nice job working to help others and have a ball on your little treck! 

One of the things that particularly intrigued me was the fact that a number of the runners Askwith covered liked to run "peaks" to match their birthday... 50 on my 50th, for example!  Cool!

Typically, you should allow the following times for each mountain:

• Five hours for Ben Nevis
            • Five hours for Scafell Pike
            • Four hours for Snowdon

These times are quick - for example, Snowdon would be completed comfortably by most people in six hours. A quick pace is needed, without wearing out too early. The best way of testing if you and your team are able is doing a mountain trial on whichever of the three is closest to you.

Add to those estimates, no less than ten hours driving - else you would be breaking the speed limits and make the climbing too easy, which isn't the idea of the Challenge.

Let us know how it goes...and be careful on the roads!

Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

It is an interesting group of people undertaking this challenge, they are all walking it and thy realise that the onus is on them to keep to the schedule as the driving will be very hectic especially as I have a 16 seater mini-bus to drive which is regulated to 60 mph so I have to go flat out on the motorways and carefully , but assertively, on the dual carriageways. There is going to be no margin for error and they have to be on Snowdon no later than 1.00pm on the Sunday.

It is going to a long, challenging exercise and made all the more exciting as last weekend a fell race was called off and runners trapped on Snowdon when the clouds came down and there was torrential rain and storm force winds. I am just about to check and pack all my safety equipment (survival bag, gloves, hat, compass etc)

Jerry

Have a great time!  Looking forward to reading your report.

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

A lot to tell you guys but I only got home a few hours ago and will be publishing to my blog over the next 24 hours but thought I would show you these 2 pics and my garmin report for starters.

I had an awesome time having run/scrambled/climbed  up the 4.18 mile track and 2,500 feet in 1:14:33. I have nothing and no one to compare this with accept walkers who can take anything up to 2:30:00 to 3:30:00 to ascend. I ran down in 53 minutes which included a short stop to chat with my sister and a couple of the men in the group.

2 miles in and 2000 feet to climb

Don't worry where you are going, stop and look where you have been. If you look at the track in the bottom left corner, this is where I stood to take the picture above

Garmin report

Jerry

You'll ruin your knees!

Most excellent!  Looking forward to reading more about it!

Lynn

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Purdey

Self anointed title

Someone's got a new Garmin!!!!!!!!!

Lovely pics - British countryside at it's best. 

Someone's got a new Garmin!!!!!!!!!

Lovely pics - British countryside at it's best. 

It was my birthday last Friday and I was desperate for one as I will be using it heavily over the next few months and especially for the Faversham 6 hour

Jerry

Purdey

Self anointed title

He he he.  I'm using mine for Faversham too - hopefully it'll stop me going out too fast.

TrailSurfer

Husband and father of 4

Well done. It looks challenging and beautiful. How'd your friends do?
                            Find the fun.