Ultra Runners

If you do back to backs... (Read 378 times)

TrailSurfer

Husband and father of 4

Question: If you do back to backs what are the pros and cons of doing the greater distance first or second? I did some 10/20's and a 6/30 in preparation for a 50 miler last year it worked OK, but I've notice a lot of folks talking about back to backs with the greater distance first in a recent thread.

I want to refine my training schedule for my next 50 miler. Any ideas?

Find the fun.
    Purdey

Self anointed title

I tend not to do them really, but rather rely on overall volume.  That said, I wouldn't think much of running a 14 - 18 miler every day.  Were I to do back-to-back long runs my preference would be to go long and slow on day 1 and then a bit shorter, but faster on day 2.

DoppleBock

I would prefer to do 30-40 miles in 1 run than back to back 20-15

I have tried 30/20, but again I personally do better doing 1 run 30-40 miles and then recovering.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

TrailSurfer

Husband and father of 4

Thanks for the input. I am experimenting a little.
          Find the fun.

My back to backs for the last couple of events have been the long runs - with the longest being 24 miles - on Saturday and 10 miles the next day.  For me, it helps my legs get used to the exhaustion, but I handle the LR better by having it first.

I will be coming up on my first training program for a 50-miler, and all my back to backs will have the longer run the first day and the shorter the second day.  If you want, you can check out my schedule here: http://www.runningahead.com/groups/MastRun/Forum/beb0c042eb5b4be8be9f806f5958547e/2

Part way down the 3rd page.  It covers the next six months, but the training leading up to Hagg Lake and through AR50 is the main training for AR50.

Good luck with whatever method you choose.

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Ultrachick

My back to backs are determined on how much time I have each day.  Like Leslie said,  I get used to running on tired legs.  So if the shorter distance is on the first day then I'll try to put in a little more intensity and take it easier on the second longer day.  If the longer day is the first day then I just run to run it and make the second day a little easier to recover.  But we're all different....

Kelly

If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
              TrailSurfer

Husband and father of 4

Thanks Fatozzig and Ultrachick. Good input; I am soaking in all the experience from folks I can.

bty Fatozzig, I think you mentioned the High Desert 30k/50k in a post somewhere. I ran it last year and really enjoyed the pasta dinner the night before. I met some really interesting people with cool experiences to share. The oldtimers had the best stories. If that wasn't you that refered to the High Desert race...disregard. Thank you for you advice and sharing your log.

Find the fun.

I'll chuck in my two cents worth as well.

My training pattern is Tues, Thurs, Fri, Sunday

On my back to back days I normally start off with the longer of the two runs on the Thursday and then a shorter run on the Friday so I am not completely wrecked for my Long run on the Sunday,

As the training calendar progresses the Thurs/Fri runs become the same and longer in length then the Friday run becomes the longer one, this is in addition to the Sunday Long run extending out as well.

I like to mix my back to backs and but Thursday tends to be a Tempo run and Friday possibly a hilly run but both are trail runs if I have enough light but I do carry a head torch.

I am not sure if this helps you but it is my approach that fits around my home/work life.

Jerry
                  A runners blog-updated daily

bty Fatozzig, I think you mentioned the High Desert 30k/50k in a post somewhere. I ran it last year and really enjoyed the pasta dinner the night before. I met some really interesting people with cool experiences to share. The oldtimers had the best stories. If that wasn't you that refered to the High Desert race...disregard. Thank you for you advice and sharing your log.

I am the one who mentioned Desert High, and I'll be there again this year, but running the 50k instead of the 30k.  Last year I had dinner with my family (my aunt and uncle live in Ridgecrest), and would like to attend the pasta dinner this year, but we'll see.  Would have to give the ole slip to dad, aunt, and uncle.

BTW - They don't have drop bag options for the 50k, do they?  I don't find any mention on the web site, and my email came back as undeliverable.  If you'd like to "talk" Desert High, my email is fatozzig at yahoo dot com.

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance