Ultra Runners

Ode to Glacial 50M (Read 299 times)

DoppleBock

I will be doing a little run in the woods and thinking about you guys - I start @ 6:00am and will not likely finish until @ 4:00pm. 

Headlamps shining in the cool morning air ... the sun will rise gloriously ... the warmth on my face will bring a smile ... the morning mist burning off ... the breeze rustling in the trees ... crunching leaves underfoot ... a beautiful fall day for a run.  

Those leaves will be hiding all the rocks and roots I am going to be triping on ... falling on ... all the constant hills are going to trash my quads ... It will be harder and harder to lift up my feet ... I will start falling ... and falling ... swear a few times ... maybe punch a tree or two.

I will gobble gu's a plenty ... yummy chocolate fudge ones, sweet strawberry banana ones ... my stomache will start to sour from all the gu ... I will continue to force them down ... gagging ... gagging ... forcing ... forcing ... but my stomache is iron strong ... it will take it ... it must take it.

I will take my S-caps ... its time for salt ... is it time for salt already? ... did I just take one or should I be taking one?  ... Might as well take another one to make sure.

It will go from cool to warm to hot ... sweat will start pouring  ... salt has crusted up on my face ... it will start to run into my eyes ... it burns .. burns ... burns!  

As my eyes burn I will get mad ... I may punch a few more trees ... If an ultra runner screams in the woods and no one is around to hear it ... oh, never mind ... running is stupid ... I just want to get it over with ... so I will haul ass to the finish line.

and then ... start dreaming about running the next one!

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Kalsarikännit

DB and I will both be racing 50 milers this weekend.  We have decided that a bet is in order.  Since his race is on some rocky, technical  trails with 10,550 ft of gain, and mine is on gravel roads with 2000 ft of gain (yeah...I know how wimpy I'm looking right now), this might end up coming out pretty close.  Or not.  We will see.  Beer is on the line, so I hope everyone appreciates the absolute seriousness of these races. 

Beer.

I want to kick his butt.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

The King of Beasts

hey WG dont forget about the Bears. (actual Bears not to be confused with da-Bears)

Beer and Bears, one is more fun than the other.  I'll let you choose.

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

DoppleBock

Just remember you do not owe me any beer ... yet.  You owe my DW Jill a beer or 2 - She is not going to Monkey, but she will be at Leadville 2011 with me.

10,550 - up and down - seems a bit exaggerated - if 1/2 the miles were up(25) and half the miles were down(25)

10550/(25x5080) = 10550/127000 = 8.3%

Now since 20% of the course is flat than means 8.3%/(1-20%) = 10.4% incline for 20 miles and 10.4% decline for 20 miles

I remember relentless hills, but I do not remember them this big and steep - That was 2006, maybe they have grown? 

DB and I will both be racing 50 milers this weekend.  We have decided that a bet is in order.  Since his race is on some rocky, technical  trails with 10,550 ft of gain, and mine is on gravel roads with 2000 ft of gain (yeah...I know how wimpy I'm looking right now), this might end up coming out pretty close.  Or not.  We will see.  Beer is on the line, so I hope everyone appreciates the absolute seriousness of these races. 

Beer.

I want to kick his butt.

And the winner is???  Smile

DoppleBock

WG

I never planned to run any faster than 9:00

Had GI problems today - 7 squirt stops for @ 30 minutes - @ 20 minutes 1st 25 and 10 the second

4:38 / 4:33 = 9:11

Maybe could have broken 9:00 - But I was not willing to accept the pain in the last 7 mile segment - fell 7 times - Finished 7th male - 8th OA - A wome broke the ladies course record with a 7:44 give or take.

WG - Beer on me @ Monkey

DB, excellent race!  After running all out in a marathon last weekend, 9:11 is pretty impressive.  Sorry to hear about the GI problems, those really suck during a run.  I made the mistake of running once while having the stomach flu, 9 stops in 6 miles and cut it short at that because I was shaking like a leaf.  I couldn't imagine running 50 with GI issues.  BTW, is the course the 2nd half of the KM 100?

WG, awesome job, sounds like you had an excellent race!

WG

I never planned to run any faster than 9:00

Had GI problems today - 7 squirt stops for @ 30 minutes - @ 20 minutes 1st 25 and 10 the second

4:38 / 4:33 = 9:11

Maybe could have broken 9:00 - But I was not willing to accept the pain in the last 7 mile segment - fell 7 times - Finished 7th male - 8th OA - A wome broke the ladies course record with a 7:44 give or take.

WG - Beer on me @ Monkey

DoppleBock

I have never ran KM 100 - Do you know WG?

It sure could be or at least part of it?

Its the nasty little sister of the Ice Age 50.  You know the one that is gonna make you hurt, make you cry ... but sure is a good time. 

DB, excellent race!  After running all out in a marathon last weekend, 9:11 is pretty impressive.  Sorry to hear about the GI problems, those really suck during a run.  I made the mistake of running once while having the stomach flu, 9 stops in 6 miles and cut it short at that because I was shaking like a leaf.  I couldn't imagine running 50 with GI issues.  BTW, is the course the 2nd half of the KM 100?

WG, awesome job, sounds like you had an excellent race!

Kalsarikännit

It is the nasty big brother of Ice Age!

It is in the Northern Kettle Moraine that is some distance away (2 hours?)from the Southern Kettle Moraine (sorry...can't find specifics, sitting in a bar at DIA). The northern section is much nastier. Kettle Moraine 100 and Ice Age 50 are both in the southern section. Both are fantastic. I enjoy the hell out of running in Wisc, and I love the ultrarunners there. They can drink, run, and are cool as hell. (Much like DB)

I got DB (of course, I was on gravel roads), but was much slower than I thought I would be. They had to change the course this year and it was slower than previous years. Doesn't matter. Montana ended up being the most beautiful place I have ever been. I am not being dramatic. It was unbelievable.

You know how ultrarunners are so humble and kind? I should really work on that.

I WON BEER!!! BEER, BEER, BEER!!!!

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

DoppleBock

Sorry, I drank you beer tonight ..... burrrrrrrrrp! 

It is the nasty big brother of Ice Age!

It is in the Northern Kettle Moraine that is some distance away (2 hours?)from the Southern Kettle Moraine (sorry...can't find specifics, sitting in a bar at DIA). The northern section is much nastier. Kettle Moraine 100 and Ice Age 50 are both in the southern section. Both are fantastic. I enjoy the hell out of running in Wisc, and I love the ultrarunners there. They can drink, run, and are cool as hell. (Much like DB)

I got DB (of course, I was on gravel roads), but was much slower than I thought I would be. They had to change the course this year and it was slower than previous years. Doesn't matter. Montana ended up being the most beautiful place I have ever been. I am not being dramatic. It was unbelievable.

You know how ultrarunners are so humble and kind? I should really work on that.

I WON BEER!!! BEER, BEER, BEER!!!!