Ultra Runners

Maintaining Fitness (Read 215 times)

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

For those of you that lick your wounds or recover from burnout (like I tend to do) during holidays, how do you minimize your fitness loss?  I am thinking of 2-3 runs per week and don't want a schedule.... 

Read some theories online but curious if anyone has experience.

• Black Canyon 100k
    • RRR
    • Zane Grey 100k
    • High Lonesome 100
    • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
    • The Bear 100
    • Javelina Jundred (?)
    Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Can't-run and/or can't-walk hurt, I do Tabata intervals on a stationary bike (about all I can stomach) and ramp up the strength training. If weather permits, I skate circles around the local high school parking lot - 1-3 hours worth (great for hips & glutes... which can help with knee stuff).

Not-injured but burnt out? Hasn't happened yet - I'm usually hurt!

Liz

pace sera, sera

Injured:

I'm currently injured (sprained, broke, and dislocated? my ankle).  Messed it up pretty good. Starting commuting to work by bike.  It's been pretty fun and it's a nice way to slide in a "free" 40 min workout in the AM and another in PM.  The motion of pedaling doesn't seem to aggravate the ankle much.  I still walk or run every day, but it's not very much.  Finally back up to 4-5 miles, but my fitness has gone to shite. 

Burnout: 

Back it down, take it easy, find some other stuff that's fun, etc.  I haven't gotten to the burnout point in running yet, but I hit it hard in cycling way back in the day (back in the day with Skip, actually).  I fought it and fought it and finally imploded and just gave up racing and cycling altogether.  Probably was a mistake in hindsight... I should have taken some time off from racing and just gone back to riding for fun, but I couldn't separate the competition from the riding any longer.