Ultra Runners

Deep Vein Thrombosis (Read 214 times)

I am off on my trip to Canada in 3 weeks a flight of approximately 7 hours, I am also off doing a 52.4 mile next week.

Mrs J has "instructed" me not to get injured at this race and I have assured her I won't. Her biggest worry as ever with her is that I am going to do myself an injury and is worried that if we fly I am more susceptible to deep vein thrombosis on long haul air flights.

Does anyone know of any truth about this and is there any advisories to athletes when it is safe to travel by air after strenuous activity.

Jerry
    A runners blog-updated daily

Along for the Ride

Jerry - I would say that you are more susceptible to deep vein thrombosis after an endurance event followed by a long flight right after. Dehydration of the race combined with the dehydration of the flight and the lomg sitting ...

I had to be on a 4 hour flight the morning after one of my marathons.

Aside from making sure to have as much water as I could stand after the race, I started taking a "baby aspirin" right after the race to thin my blood a little.

I also put on anti-thrombotic stockings before my flight. The stockings actually felt really good and helped my legs recover faster.

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.

Imminent Catastrophe

I've done that a few times (marathon followed by 12-14 hour flight that night), and done some long drives as well (similar situation), and I know many Maniacs who run marathons then get on flights. I've never heard of a problem, still...

Like Gabe said, stay hydrated, aspirin, and try to get an aisle seat so you can get up and walk around a bit and stretch your legs every so often. How long after the race is your flight? If you have a few hours to relax you will feel a lot better.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Compression stockings.  That is the way to go.  There is some good research (actual data) that supports their aide in quicker recovery by supporting blood return from the lower extremities, more blood means more oxygen.  Before they were used by athletes they were recommended for people with severe varicose veins, especially when flying.  I haven't used mine in flight but I use them after long runs in the mountains when I have to get back in the car and drive for an hour or two to get home.
            Whoops, I didn't even think about this after my last race. Smile I ran a marathon Saturday and then immediately following was in a car for 5 hours followed by 25+ hours in a plane (with 2 very short layovers). I did wear compression calf sleeves in the car and for the first 12 hour flight. I didn't seem to have any issues other than being tired and generally uncomfortable.

~Sara
            It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

Cheers everyone,

Somehow I think 2 weeks after an event I am going to be OK for flying but I had never even thought about the car drive on the way back. My left leg will be fine but it is the right one that is going to be stuck on the accelerator for about 2 hours after...pity the English roads are not suitable for cruise control.

I plan to do the run and then have a good rest at the pub (Race HQ) afterwrds with a barbeque and lots of ice cold drinks so that may get the blood a little thinner. I'll leave the cider until I get home.

Jerry
              A runners blog-updated daily

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

2 weeks later?

No issue.