Ultra Runners

Long Run Foregone (Read 400 times)

Beware, batbear...

Is there any method for "making up" for missing a long run.  I've had a week where I was slammed with a cold, with a lot of non-running junk, and today my legs felt like total sh*t so I didn't even attempt my scheduled long run this morning.  

I had two soccer games this week so I wonder if that's not why I haven't been able to really recover from last week's running....hmmm.

But back to the point - is there any way to make it up?

2014 Goal -- Run 5X per week, pain-free (relatively) by end of summer.

DoppleBock

You are putting way to much importance to 1 run - Don't sweat it.  It is much better to get well and strong than 1 stink'n run.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

You are putting way to much importance to 1 run - Don't sweat it.  It is much better to get well and strong than 1 stink'n run.

+1

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

If you're running long runs every other week, you could do a long run next week instead of in two weeks. If you're running long runs every week, well, you can still do one next week, as you're going to anyway Smile

MTA: Not that I'm qualified to answer, btw.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Carl A

Not that I'm qualified to answer, btw.

This is the only part of what you wrote that I don't get.

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

This is the only part of what you wrote that I don't get.

I haven't read Daniels, and I don't know much about that kind of stuff -- what kind of stimulus is good for different races.

Also my own experience does not really include interestingly different sets of approaches to compare & contrast.

In fact, I'm thinking of just printing out DB's recent set of workouts he recommended elsewhere, and trying some of them out -- instead of going through the effort to understand them and be able to come up with ones like that myself.

Carl A

Thanks for explaining, AP. There's good stuff in that link, too.

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

DoppleBock

400s or hills - Strength and foot speed

5k pace - Vo2 max

30 minute pace - half way between vo2 max and LAT - in theory (Tinman) it will stress each system

LAT - Lactic Acid threshold - Stresses the bodies ability to clear lactic acid - Allowing you t run faster without building it up

I would suggest

#1 LAT

#2 400s / hills

early in training

#1 LAT

#2 30 min race pace (5x5) 

middle part of training cycle with a few hills and or 400s sprinkled in

#1 LAT

#2 5k pace

last 3-4 weeks leading up to goal race.

I haven't read Daniels, and I don't know much about that kind of stuff -- what kind of stimulus is good for different races.

Also my own experience does not really include interestingly different sets of approaches to compare & contrast.

In fact, I'm thinking of just printing out DB's recent set of workouts he recommended elsewhere, and trying some of them out -- instead of going through the effort to understand them and be able to come up with ones like that myself.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Thanks for the phased version!