Ultra Runners

Miwok 100k (Read 426 times)

F*CK is the first word that comes to mind. Beautiful is the second.

Given the obscene lack of training on my part (seriously.. look at my log. It's embarrassing.) and the challenging course I just hoped that I would finish the damn thing. I dropped from a tough 50k two weeks ago and that left me questioning my decision to even start this race.

This year it was a new course that apparently added 2,000+ feet of elevation gain. For reference, Dave Mackey was about 1:15 slower this year compared to last year. I hoped to beat my Waldo 100k time from last August since I'd heard Miwok was an easier course, but as the race went on I found that would be harder than expected.

It was a gorgeous day, high 40s at the start and eventually getting to 78 degrees. We started from Stinson Beach up the biggest climb under a huge, bright moon and by the time we got to the almost- top of the ridge it was setting and glowing orange. We ran along the side of a ridge for several miles on a super skinny, cambered trail that was relatively flat. I got stuck behind a train of 30 runners because some chick at the front refused to move off the trail. It was downhill on one side and uphill on the other so not the most conducive to passing. Eventually I felt like I was losing time so in a less precarious spot I hopped off the trail to pass half the people and then a bit later passed the other half. I felt like a dick, but I was getting impatient. Of course, about 15 seconds after I passed the group I slipped and fell (non-tragically).

Eventually, we hit the downhill and as I started down (mile 7) toward the turnaround at mile 11ish, the leading men were finishing the climb back up. They were running, but it did not look pleasant. It was nice seeing familiar faces after the turnaround, but the climb went on forever. We went back the way we came for a while, but then took a different trail down the hill to Stinson (mile 26).

View down towards Stinson Beach.

After hitting Stinson again we started up the famed Dipsea trail, including the steps... all of them. Not fun. From here we had some downhill which I thought would be a relief, but it was hard, rocky jeep road, that was technical much of the time. Not much to note until I got to Tennessee Valley at mile 38. From here we did a loop and returned to Tennessee Valley at mile 50. The loop was a long slow jeep road climb. It seemed unrelenting, but now that I look at the elevation profile, I doesn't look that bad. Hmm. This took us around for some amazing views of SF and the bridge.

I remember this loop as being all uphill, but according to the elevation profile it was not. Luckily some nice views to enjoy! It was warm, but near the water there was a nice breeze.

Some more uncomfortable downhill that beat up my feet and I was back at Tennessee Valley. Off the water it was hot. I struggled to get in enough calories all day. I was putting down 200-300 calories an hour, but it apparently wasn't enough. I just felt hungry the whole time. I was feeling worked, but knowing there was less than 12 miles to go left me hopeful. There was some flat pavement running where I ran only because there were so many normal pedestrians around and I was embarrassed to walk in front of them. So I ran, but I didn't want to. My legs were like, "what the hell do you think you're doing?" Luckily we were eventually treated with single track and some awesome views from the cliffs above Pirates Cove.

Finally got to the last aid station and I was starving, but didn't want eating anything. Nothing sounded good. I managed to cram in a few PB&J, filled a bottle up with Coke and went on my way. This was a long section of 7.5 miles, but it felt more like 12. We pretty much ran most of this section earlier in the day, but this time it was worse. One last climb in the last few miles of the race and then I got to the top of the Dipsea trail. I thought I had a chance to get under 13:00, but I was wrong. We were farther from the finish than I realized and it was slow going down the steps. I had a blister convention in my shoes and my Achilles were crying uncle. I felt 2 of my 5 blisters pop. After the steps I got to some of the only smooth downhill on the course and it was like running on clouds compared to the other downhills. I was able to pick it up in the last mile and got to the finish at 13:13.

I couldn't be happier. I had my ass handed to me, but got to enjoy the amazing weather and views. I can't say enough good things about this race... it was top notch. My only complaints are the brutal downhills and that there wasn't enough single track. Looks like about 85 out of 350 DNF-ed (almost 25%). I talked with Meghan Arborgast after the race and she thought this course was probably harder than Waldo. Makes me feel even better about my time. At any rate, I highly recommend this race! Put in for the lottery next year!

~Sara
    It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

Great racing and nice report Sara!  I enjoyed meeting you this weekend!  Congrats to all who toed the line at Miwok.

Skip

xor

Awww... and pictures too.  Sounds amazing.  Way more amazing than Ft Steilacoom and Tacoma Undecided.

Great job!  Take care of the feet.

jjameson

I'd love to do this but the time of year is hard for me to train through the winter where I live.

Great job.

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Nice job -

The 100 yard run on the beach to start and the steps up from Stinson? beach were worst part for some reason to me.  

I did it last year and would like to run it again some day.  Very pretty but unrelenting.

Who won?

• Black Canyon 100k
            • RRR
            • Zane Grey 100k
            • High Lonesome 100
            • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
            • The Bear 100
            • Javelina Jundred (?)

Imminent Catastrophe

Nice. That course is so beautiful. It was tough last year, unrelenting like HoosierDaddy said, but when you add in the Dipsea, wow. That's nasty. Miwok is awesome, I missed it this year.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Good job Sara and thanks for the pictures!

steph  

Awww... and pictures too.  Sounds amazing.  Way more amazing than Ft Steilacoom and Tacoma Undecided.

We missed you there Robert! You would've loved the weather!

Nice job -

The 100 yard run on the beach to start and the steps up from Stinson? beach were worst part for some reason to me.  

I did it last year and would like to run it again some day.  Very pretty but unrelenting.

Who won?

The part through the sand was AWFUL! And of course the steps too. It was definitely harder than I expected.

Dave Mackey won it again.

~Sara
                  It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

Awesome job, Sara.

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

Congrats!   Looks like a awesome course!

Kalsarikännit

Good job Sara and thanks for the pictures!

+1

I'm so glad you shared this race report and pics!  It looks amazing.  I'm sorry you didn't have the day you wanted to have (time wise) but you will, and in the meantime you got to have a beautiful day while learning the course.  You are a super-badass.  Next year you will experience all that beauty while kicking everyone's ass.   

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Nicely done! Big grin

And, shared!

(Makes me very glad all I had to do was run around in flat circles for hours.)

Liz

pace sera, sera

Awesome job, Sara.  I've never run Miwok, but have done a few 50ks in that area, and it's tough.

Skip - I forgot you were running Miwok.  How'd it go??

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Congratulations, Sara!  Great report and beautiful pictures.  Sounds like a very challenging race and one to test all abilities!

Michelle

Awesome job, Sara.  I've never run Miwok, but have done a few 50ks in that area, and it's tough.

Skip - I forgot you were running Miwok.  How'd it go??

Skip ended up not running and crewed his friend. I was lucky to get his help at several of the aid stations as well!

Thanks all! I'm already itching to go back to that area. Beautiful!

~Sara