Ultra Runners

2012 US National Championship Team (Read 2305 times)

Kalsarikännit

Yell, "bacon party!" at her.  That's what I do.  Be warned, you will get some funny looks.

I'm sorry to hear that, Liz.  Go out and do the best you can.  I hope you have a great race anyways.  

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Thanks Murphy & WG.

Hoping to enjoy the day and watch some of the wimmins throw down great performances.

Liz

pace sera, sera

bliss24

Just perused the past posts on the 2012 US Team for Worlds and didn't even know my  name made the list with 126- miles, though it does't really matter because it will certainly be bumped at NC next week and likely again at one of the later 24s.  It got me thinking though about doing another 24 this year before the qualifying time period is up.  It wasn't in my plan though and now the only one I could possibly make is FANS.   So, question for those (Mike and others) who have run FANS with a goal of high mileage - Does the current event support higher mileage (considering the course, turns, aid, lighting, crowding on the course? I need all the help I can get.  Smile ).  I actually ran FANS as my first 24 in 2000 so I kind of remember the course, but that seems like a lifetime ago. 

xor

Hello Lisa Bliss!

Kalsarikännit

Uh-oh!  Watch your p's and q's.  We are in the presence of awesomeness.  For those who don't know, not only is Dr. Lisa a fantastic ultrarunner (and a Badwater rockstar), but also helps ultrarunners further understand the physiological aspects of our sport.   She is great for those of us that like understanding the whys and hows of improving and running with respect for our bodies (ahhh...the olden days when aid station tables were stocked with dozens of pain killer bottles).

It is nice to have you here.

bliss24

Thank you for the warm welcome. 

I am glad to stumble onto you guys here talking about 24-hr nationals and the worlds competition (found the link on the Northcoast FB page), and I have already learned so much!  Nice, straight-forward information. 

I'm done with work now, so will peruse the FANS page for more info and to see if anything has changed in the last decade.  It would be nice to go back there, whether to race or not.  I really loved that run.  

WG, you're from Chi town?  Me too. But now I'm in WA.

SRL, you manage the MM calendar, the BEST place to go on the internet for race information?  Thank you!  I'm MM #15 (though I will probably never earn more than 2 stars).  Smile

xor

Si, that's me.  I've met you at a couple random races... I'm also good friends with Jess Mullen.  Your help for Badwater was invaluable.

bliss24

I'm also good friends with Jess Mullen. 

Jess Mullen is awesome.

Kalsarikännit

I'm done with work now, so will peruse the FANS page for more info and to see if anything has changed in the last decade.  It would be nice to go back there, whether to race or not.  I really loved that run.  

WG, you're from Chi town?  Me too. But now I'm in WA.

You left the ultrarunning hotbed of Chicago for the trails of Washington?  Crazy.  Big grin

I'm sure DoppleBock will be on tomorrow to give you a full recap of the FANS course.  He threw down his qualifying miles (147.4) for the National Team there, so it can't be all that slow.  I haven't tried it, but have heard nice things about the race, so I am going to give the 12 hour a try.  I'm not in 24 shape right now (but will be for the two I am running towards the end of the year), so this sounds like a great way to get a good run in and yell at DB to hurry up.

There was some WC qualification talk on the Northcoast group on FB, so I thought that was the perfect opportunity to post the link here.Ive become obsessed with the 24 hour race..if that would only translate to making time to train for them.

bliss24

You left the ultrarunning hotbed of Chicago for the trails of Washington?  Crazy.  Big grin

It's a whole different kind of wildlife here.  Smile

I'm not in 24-hr shape now either. In fact, I'm nursing a knee injury, running just a few miles at a time.  I didn't realize FANS was June 2.  Hm, that's 1 week to recover, 1 week to train, and 2 weeks to taper.  Could be real ugly.  But I might take that chance.  Have to see if I can juggle work around those days. 

Cool on 12-hr at FANS and the fall 24-hour runs.  I had been hoping for NC in the fall. Spring was too soon....but then I got this itch....

Which fall runs are you doing?

Kalsarikännit

Which fall runs are you doing?

For the 24 hr stuff I am doing Badgerland (I have done this one before and it is in Wisc, so easy driving distance) and Desert Solstice in Arizona.  Both are track 24's.  I like the track stuff.  People think it's weird, but it isn't bad at all. 

Yeah, FANS is close.  Sorry about the knee.  It is always fun to go out there and see what you can do though.  Worst case scenario, you put down some miles and get to check the race out again.  (As long as you don't tweak the knee more.)  The more good runners, the better the event.

xor

>> The more good runners, the better the event.

That leaves me out.

Joke. Joke.

Kalsarikännit

I meant to say, "the more beer, the better the event".  It's late and I misspelled.

bliss24

I meant to say, "the more beer, the better the event".  It's late and I misspelled.

^^^  LOL!  Wink

WG:  Those are 2 great runs.  I don't mind the track either but do tend to do better on a longer loop. FANS is perfect for this. 

As far as the course not being slow because Henze can throw down super-duper mileage says much more about how awesome a runner he is than about the course.  I just have this feeling that even if it were an obstacle course loop, he'd still manage something crazy good on it. He's just darn good.  It would be awesome to share the course with him.  I could encourage him every time he lapped me!

Well, it's either FANS or wait till next year at NC to try to qualify with a better mileage.  Unfortunately though, every year I get older...  In fact, it occurred to me the other day that I am already too old to die young.  Kind of a sobering thought.  Smile