Ultra Runners

Cascade Crest 100 (Read 729 times)

xor

Let's see.

cgerber ran it... based on the results, it looked like you ran it with someone.  Did you have fun?

buzzie ran it... but I saw no results for a 'buzzie' Smile.  Did you have fun?

smalcolm worked the aid station at M80, No Name Ridge.  Did you have fun?

srlopez paced the gal who came in 3rd.  He did not have fun.

I worked check-in and had fun

I met cgerber

I'm sure I met buzzie (I checked everyone in) but do not know her name

srlopez, on the bright side you could have paced gal who came in 1st 

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

I waited and waited and my runner dropped without me finding out for hours. Swept  a bit of the course. That was fun!

xor

I waited and waited and my runner dropped without me finding out for hours. Swept  a bit of the course. That was fun!

Yeah, I was looking in the results this morning and saw that Holly had dropped way before Hyak.  And then I remembered you waiting on her at Hyak.  BOO. Big Boo.

xor

srlopez, on the bright side you could have paced gal who came in 1st 

Maybe I could have for about 2 uphill miles.  But that's it. And none of the downhill.  I simply cannot comprehend running traily trails that fast.

Yes, we had fun!  Well, except for the heat... that was decidedly NOT fun.  At all.  We both ran our worst 100s, by far (due to the heat), but the people and the beauty of the course more than made up for it.  smalcom's mimosas at No Name didn't hurt either.  Wink

Kari and I actually didn't intend to run together, but neither could manage to drop the other, so after about 80+ miles we decided to just run it in together.  We're close friends and train together almost every day.   I've paced her for all her 100s and she's paced me for except one, but this was the first 100 we ran together, so it was fun. 

I looked for you, srlopez, but didn't see you.  I did leave glasses when dork though. 

You guys have some really wonderful trails out here.  I love the HUGE trees and the GREEN!  Ferns, lichens, moss... so cool!!  We'll be back, for sure!

xor

Heck, I live here and can get a little jaded, but the views from the top of Thorp (the climb to the fire lookout where you got the orange ticket) were amazing to me.  Holy smokes.

Glad you had fun.

My runner finished at 25:54.  I was feeling really terrible after the run.  Hung out for a couple hours and then left.  It looks like y'all finished just a little bit after I left.

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Buzzie had fun. And a rough start that led to new way for me to DNF... Never occurred to me that I'd be racing cutoffs. With wheels mostly attached. From the start. :-/ But, I did get to meet cgerber (and Kari) and smalcolm at the start; and it turns out that I have a photo of gumbee checking me in! :-) More later, maybe, when I'm not on a Droid.

Liz

pace sera, sera

xor

I want to hear more about that!

Here's what 3rd place looks like.  The runner was fine and celebrating on a cot.  The pacer fell over and felt like death.

Fun fun fun weekend! I met cgerber and his pal Kari and buzzie at the start. Pics coming soon!

Liz, i'm sorry your race was cut short. I hope there were no serious injuries.

I worked at the mile 80 aid station where we had runners from about midnight until noon or so. LOOOONG shift. I tried to nap, but was too excited to see friends come through. I spent dusk on Saturday marking miles 80-85 or so with glow sticks and got to enjoy lovely views from the highest spot on the course while not being in too much pain. Those damn needs are hard even on fresh legs though... jeez.

srlopez paced his runner (the gal I paced at Badwater not too long ago) to an awesome run. She got sweet revenge on the course after DNFing a few years ago. 3rd place!! You two looked super strong at mile 80!

cgerber was one of the few that took me up on a mimosa while at our aid station. You should have filled your bottle up with mimosa and taken some to go! I'm so glad you liked the course. I really love this race so I'm thrilled when others enjoy it too.

The heat was unusual. Last year I think it maybe got to 75 tops. This year 90 at times. It seemed bad on Saturday, but I'm sure felt much worse on day two.

~Sara
                      It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

xor

I did 90 degrees over the needles and thorp in two shirts and, for most of it, fleece arm warmers.  Even island boy started feeling it.

(I had time to take off the arm warmers, but not the extra shirt.  We were in and out of aid stations so quickly, it made my head spin.  And the one pause I did get... a potty break... I spent looking at phantom bad guys and mirage snakes)

Anyway, see that gray shirt?  There's a red one underneath it.  Had I removed the gray one, I would have been completely matchy match with my runner.

I did 90 degrees over the needles and thorp in two shirts and, for most of it, fleece arm warmers.  Even island boy started feeling it.

Unbelievable!!  I was still dunking my head in creeks at 2am, wearing just a short sleeve shirt and shorts and utterly roasting!  I wish I could handle that hot stuff better... 

Buzzie and me at the start.

cgerber and me at start.

srlopez on duty!

Kari and cgerber in action.

~Sara
                            It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

You'll ruin your knees!

Here is a pretty good Cascade Crest video taken by Steve Emmert... pretty good overall but still, the camera doesn't begin to capture the raw beauty of the course!  When I ran it... I had no idea what the view was from Thorpe, as we were socked in in fog/drizzle/mist... WOW!!! 

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

xor

Thorp might have been the single most OMG view I've seen running, anywhere.  So happy it was clear.