Ultra Runners

How much does everyone eat? (Read 214 times)

Alright, I am new to running these distances.  Just finished my first 50k last week and have my sights on a 50 miler at the end of the month.  I am running almost 50 miles a week.  I am curious as to how many calories your average 50 to 70 mile a week runner consumes on a daily basis.

I have been reading a lot about nutrition during a run but what about after a long run and on regular days?

Just curious as to how much it takes to keep all you machines running.

Thanks.

I currently weigh 174 pounds and on an average 10 mile run consume about 1400 calories or 140 calories per mile. They state that most runners consume between 100 - 140 calories per mile, so to keep the maths simple and to keep consistant weight for a 50 mile week you should be consuming anything between 5000 -  7000 calories extra per week above your "normal" dietary needs.

These calculations are really basic and everyone is different so you have to experiment as calories in =/= calories out. I am lucky as I don't really count my calories and have found my weight has remained consistent. It also doesn't mean you can attack the biscuit(cookie) jar and eat 50 packets of Custard Creams. to compensate for your runs

On my long runs of 20+ miles I normally take along a banana, an apple and a car gel (if I really have to)

Jerry
      A runners blog-updated daily