Ultra Runners

Bear 100 this Friday/Saturday (Read 512 times)

Nice job Lynn, it was great to meet you at the awards!  Sorry we couldn't catch up before the race... I shredded one of the tires in the crew van while showing my crew the aid stations so we spent that whole afternoon and evening finding a new set of tires.

Apparently I came down w/ something on Sunday that closely resembles and may actually be swine flu.  We stayed an extra day to let my 102 fever break.  Home now, but my 3.5 year old has it now.  The Gerber household is a mess!

The race was a ton of fun.  Definitely put this on the "to-do" list!  The fall colors are outstanding and even Utah beer tastes really good at miles 52 and 76. 

Get Lost :)

Nice job Lynn, it was great to meet you at the awards!  Sorry we couldn't catch up before the race... I shredded one of the tires in the crew van while showing my crew the aid stations so we spent that whole afternoon and evening finding a new set of tires.

Apparently I came down w/ something on Sunday that closely resembles and may actually be swine flu.  We stayed an extra day to let my 102 fever break.  Home now, but my 3.5 year old has it now.  The Gerber household is a mess!

The race was a ton of fun.  Definitely put this on the "to-do" list!  The fall colors are outstanding and even Utah beer tastes really good at miles 52 and 76. 

Hey, hope you and your kid get better soon. Sounds like you had a good time prior to it though!

Wasatch Speedgoat

Yes, Lynn finished and here's proof!

http://picasaweb.google.com/ultrastevep/2009Bear100#5386674910542847058

And here's Chris coming in...

http://picasaweb.google.com/ultrastevep/2009Bear100#5386674784204829282

I on the other hand barfed my way to a 51 mile DNF!

Congrats you two!

Steve

PS: Here's my and my wife's report...my wife had a great finish!

ttp://perogoats.blogspot.com/<wbr>2009/09/bear-100.html

Life is short, play hard!

Wow, I look like death!!

My great friend and pacer, Steph Ehret, ran me like a rented mule the last 7 miles to hold off the hard charging guy that nearly caught us! 

Wasatch Speedgoat

Chris....I think you were hallucinating, I see no one else in the photo

Chris....I think you were hallucinating, I see no one else in the photo

I'm blaming the camera angle!

See...there she is!    But yeah... I was tore up after that... 

You'll ruin your knees!

Dang, I look way too fresh... must not have run hard enough!  Or maybe I pulled a Rosie Ruiz after all!

Thanks, Steve!  It was great seeing you and Deb again.   You were missed this year in Silverton.

Lynn

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Dude!  Did you hitch a ride for 70 miles??  You look amazing!!  Wow!

You'll ruin your knees!

Dude!  Did you hitch a ride for 70 miles??  You look amazing!!  Wow!

No, I just took an additional 4 hours to finish the same course that you blistered!  But, thanks!

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Wasatch Speedgoat

Chris....that's Steph, I'm talking about the runner that you "thought" was running you down

Lynn....SURE you ran the Bear 100

Congrats guys, great run. Wish I could have joined you at the finish line as a finisher...next year!

See you both at Hardrock maybe???? Deb and I will be there

If you haven't yet, read Davy Crockett's report, it's a good one. He wanted you, Chris!

Steve

who knows...

Great job, Chris and Lynn!
                        "There is no I in εγω." --Unknown author, source of possible, but in no way certain, Greek origin
                          Chris....that's Steph, I'm talking about the runner that you "thought" was running you down

Lynn....SURE you ran the Bear 100

Congrats guys, great run. Wish I could have joined you at the finish line as a finisher...next year!

See you both at Hardrock maybe???? Deb and I will be there

If you haven't yet, read Davy Crockett's report, it's a good one. He wanted you, Chris!

Steve

Thanks for the head's up on Davy's report!  He's a competitive guy Smile

And yes, I'll see you at Hardrock...either as a runner (fingers crossed I get in this year) or running one of the aid stations and pacing again.  Once that race gets into your blood, you can't stay away :-)

Carl A

Steve - Although the day didn't turn out exactly as you'd hoped, it was fun to read your and Deb's reports. Thanks for posting them.

That Davy Crockett guy is a trip! His Pony Express 100, as well as the lake crossings he's written about, are pretty impressive to me.

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

Wasatch Speedgoat

Glad you enjoyed the report, Carl...I now have a lot of fuel to fire next year's finish 

Davy is a tough runner....he ran several 100's all within weeks of each other. I think he looked the worse of anyone coming in at the Bear and I told him so at the finish.

Scroll back in his blog and look for his run across the frozen lake....great story.

Here's a link to his blog... http://crockettclan.org/blog/

Deb and I signed up for the SMUT 50 in Virginia, which is in 2 weeks...

Steve