Ultra Runners

Experienced help appreciated / Cremator 50 Mile Endurance Race (Read 736 times)

Thanks Jen,  it  sounds like a good one.   But I'm trying to stay close to home.

You radius is probably a lot smaller than mine -- I'm in Alabama - and I consider GA, SC, eastern TN and western NC to all be staying close to home Smile

Best of luck with the 50 miler -- sounds like a tough one in that heat!

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

You radius is probably a lot smaller than mine -- I'm in Alabama - and I consider GA, SC, eastern TN and western NC to all be staying close to home Smile

Best of luck with the 50 miler -- sounds like a tough one in that heat!

Ha-Ha.  Yes, in this instance I guess that I should have said very close to homeSmile  

steph  

This race has been banging around in my head for a few days.

Not much else in there to stop it banging 

Were I live / train is very  close to the same heat / humidity as the Beaufort area.  

So, once I rationalized away all of the cover your ass stuff (SC in July)  on their

web site I signed up.

Cremator 50 Mile Endurance Run  Beaufort, SC. 

July 21, 2012.   Fifteen weeks four days.

I have a book with a training plan and some online plans that I will use as a guide.

I guess that I am mostly concerned with the  long run / back to back runs.  

And how many miles a week are necessary.

I would very much appreciate any pointers.

Steph, check out my training in 2008. I was training for my first 50 miler in August. I did end up running 50 miles in the middle of July in Philly with heat well over 100 degrees. I did back to back long runs

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

DoppleBock

5 hours = close to home

8 hours = far - but driveable

10 hours is my limit for driving and I may also fly at this distance.

I like to be able to drive - Because I like to pack a lot of crap I will never need.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Seems weather where regular margarittas on the rocks would be in order - With salt along the glass rim of course. 

I have to say the long runs that I did with the extra mileage that I was doing REALLY helped me with my 50 this year. I did less mileage and back to back long runs for my first  50 and it seemed to work as well.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

5 hours = close to home

8 hours = far - but driveable

10 hours is my limit for driving and I may also fly at this distance.

I like to be able to drive - Because I like to pack a lot of crap I will never need.

+2

DoppleBock

Everytime I finish a long training run - Specially on trails I feel tired - But a good satisfying tired.  I feel like I have done good work and deserve a treat - Then as I drive back home, my thoughts go to margarittas or beer.  But luckily I am way to sweaty and smelly to actually stop for a drink.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Steph, check out my training in 2008. I was training for my first 50 miler in August. I did end up running 50 miles in the middle of July in Philly with heat well over 100 degrees. I did back to back long runs

Thanks Pam. 

How do I check your past training ?

steph  

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

I have to say the long runs that I did with the extra mileage that I was doing REALLY helped me with my 50 this year. I did less mileage and back to back long runs for my first  50 and it seemed to work as well.

Did you do back to back long runs this year also or just long ones?  And did you plan to do any walking ahead of time

or just the hills and when you had the gas bubble problem?

steph  

Thanks Pam. 

How do I check your past training ?

You can do it by the calendar. 

Did you do back to back long runs this year also or just long ones?  And did you plan to do any walking ahead of time

or just the hills and when you had the gas bubble problem?

This time I basically did marathon training, however I did throw in a few 50k's in. With the mileage I was doing I doubt I would have been able to recover from the longer runs if I did back to back. The only training I did for walking was sometimes I'd finish a run and walk a quarter mile to a mile afterwards and that was more around taper time. Figured I better work those muscle's a little bit just in case

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

So you mean that you had no plans to walk unless you had to on the day?

I can't see you log to look at your calendar Smile

steph  

Only time I planned on walking was any hill (and there was only one so I walked it 4 out of 5 times and then I usually took the opportunity to open up a gu and eat it ) and any time I had something I was eating that I couldn't necessarily run with (but that never really happened)

As far as looking at my log, if you go to reports you can click on my name it should take you to my log. I have it closed to anyone but members of my group.

DoppleBock

I know this is a flat race but please be careful - Your race will be really hot and walking will help regulate your body - Both heat and effort.

I can say on the trail - There are some people hill strong and head strong that will slowly run every hill - I will fall a few feet behind them on every hill while I power walk.  In a 50 mile race - I end up passing most of these people (Close to my ability level) between mile 25-35.  There is a cost to running up moderate to big hills ... it takes a little bit of their power each hill.  I tend to run do almost even to negative splits in trail races also, because I regulate my effort. 

If the person is hill strong enough to run all the hills without much of a cost - They will beat me.  Although I feel I run the flats and downs faster because of the investment of walking the hills.

I know this is a flat race but please be careful - Your race will be really hot and walking will help regulate your body - Both heat and effort.

I can say on the trail - There are some people hill strong and head strong that will slowly run every hill - I will fall a few feet behind them on every hill while I power walk.  In a 50 mile race - I end up passing most of these people (Close to my ability level) between mile 25-35.  There is a cost to running up moderate to big hills ... it takes a little bit of their power each hill.  I tend to run do almost even to negative splits in trail races also, because I regulate my effort. 

If the person is hill strong enough to run all the hills without much of a cost - They will beat me.  Although I feel I run the flats and downs faster because of the investment of walking the hills.

+1

I have to say in my early ultra's even in the heat I wasn't good about walking (well except for my 100 mile) I had been told well in advance by Jlynbob to WALK the hills (like DB  powerwalk) I will most definitely be training to improve my power walk for my upcoming 100.