Ultra Runners

Lottery season (Read 81 times)

bhearn

So, Western States and Hardrock lotteries are over. But it's that time of the year. Here is a good list, with links, from Scott Dunlap's blog:

Way Too Cool 50k, March 7, 2015 (Lottery Dec 7-17, Drawing Dec 21)

Lake Sonoma 50m, April 11, 2015 (Lottery Dec 7-17, Drawing Dec 21)
    Bull Run Run 50m, April 11, 2015 (Lottery Feb 2-TBD)

Miwok 100k, May 2, 2015 (Lottery Dec 6-10, Drawing Dec 12)

Massanutten 100, May 16, 2015 (Lottery Jan 1-8, Drawing Jan 12)

Mt. Washington Road Race, June 20, 2015 (Lottery Feb 17-March 15 with $5 lottery fee, Drawing March 18)

Tahoe Rim Trail 100m, July 18, 2015 (Lottery Dec 7-21, Drawing Jan 1)

Badwater 135, July ~23, 2015 (Lottery/app Jan 2-10, Selection Feb 12)

Leadville 100, August 22, 2015 (Lottery Dec 1-31 with $15 lottery fee, Drawing ~Jan 15)

Ultra-Trail du Mont Blanc, August 24, 2015 (Registration Dec 17-Jan 6 with 1.5 euro lottery fee, Lottery selection Jan 14 if needed)
    Tahoe 200m, September 11, 2015 (Lottery Dec 1-21, Drawing Dec 31)

Wasatch 100, September 11, 2015 (Lottery Dec 1-Jan 4, Drawing Feb 7)
    Ironman Hawaii World Championship, October 10, 2015 (Lottery Now-Feb 28, Drawing April 17)

Who's in for what? I just put in for Way Too Cool and Miwok. Of note, Miwok lottery closes today.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I don't think any of the races I have planned have a lottery and IAT 50K is the only one that filled up last year.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

rlopez

I'm still pondering Leadville and Wasatch.

I may also put in for Sonoma.  Jess and Van ran it last year and loved it.  I actually didn't know it was lottery now.

Tahoe 200 (like Bigfoot 200) is an interesting case.  They are small races for permit reasons but with mega-high prices... they fill up, but it's hard to say that a lottery was totally necessary there. Except for the added drama value.

I had pondered Miwok, but apparently waited an extra day. Ooops.  This is alright; I've a free entry into the Indy Mini that day so I'll happily run around the big track.

There's also Waldo, which fills up in a matter of minutes, and Ice Age, which will fill up in an hour or so.  They are lottery candidates soon.  I will try for Waldo if I finally back away from the Grand Slam hookah.  I very much want to do Ice Age, but registration opens Sunday at noon.  Which is 3:55 into the Dallas Marathon.  Pretty sure I'll be done and back to my phone, but my phone is lame lame lame for web browsing and buying crap.

bhearn

Pretty sure I'll be done and back to my phone, but my phone is lame lame lame for web browsing and buying crap.

Why don't you use... oh nevermind.

bhearn

I have no interest in those 200s, or Pigtails 150. Seems like just more for the sake of more.

But the Spartathlon (Athens to Sparta, 153M, 36-hour cutoff) in September is actually tempting.

rlopez

Why don't you use... oh nevermind.

At least my circa 2011 phone has the sense to reorient a selfie properly.  Unlike the iphone which still insists on offering up what all of us know to be a mirror image as the default.

"Why does your shirt have backward writing?"

Pigtails 150 (which is my only experience at that distance so I can't claim expertise) seemed/felt like a different animal to me than a 100.  Just like the leap from 100k to 100m implies different tactics, that was true in the 150 jump as well.

But around Lake Youngs 5 more times? Yeah. Bleh.

bhearn

Unlike the iphone which still insists on offering up what all of us know to be a mirror image as the default.

"Why does your shirt have backward writing?"

Seems OK...

Stevie Ray -- you should totally go for Waldo; it's such a great race.  However, I would imagine it'll be even tougher to get in next year since there was a kerfuffle with registration this year.  (A number of people were told they were in, but there was a glitch on UltraSignup.  Those people will have first dibs on the 2015 race).

bhearn

Miwok drawing was this morning. I'm in, is as PerfesserR.

rlopez

Stevie Ray -- you should totally go for Waldo; it's such a great race.  However, I would imagine it'll be even tougher to get in next year since there was a kerfuffle with registration this year.  (A number of people were told they were in, but there was a glitch on UltraSignup.  Those people will have first dibs on the 2015 race).

Maybe I should do Leadville.  FOOEY.

bhearn

Waldo, Leadville, or UTMB that weekend. Hmmm.

Imminent Catastrophe

Miwok drawing was this morning. I'm in, is as PerfesserR.

And...two winners!

Although the odds were pretty good, 57%, I'm happy to have made it.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

bhearn

I'm also in for Way Too Cool. Lake Sonoma drawing was today; I didn't enter.

As suspected, Waldo's going to a lottery next year.

jjameson

So is Sawtooth